What's new

Can you answer these basic HTPC questions? (1 Viewer)

eyal8r

Auditioning
Real Name
eya
Hey guys- I'm new to this HTPC stuff, but have built a number of PC's in the past. I've been reading a ton in the forums, and now my head is spinning with which hardware to go with! I also have a few other questions about HTPC... 1) What's the pros/cons to running XBMC over WMC? Can I run BOTH (will it benefit me any to do that?) I'm planning on running WMC, but have been seeing a TON about XBMC so I'd like some input on that option. 2) I currently have a BOSE 5.1 Surround Sound system. I'd like to keep it for this setup- maybe I'll upgrade down the road, but I'm fairly happy with it for now. The Bose system makes all the speakers run through the subwoofer, and then out from there. It's some proprietary thing they do. Can I work with that for the HTPC somehow, or should I look at a different speaker system? How will that interface with the HTPC? 3) With the HTPC build, I am dropping out a receiver, and using the HTPC as an amp/receiver essentially. How LOUD can the sound level go for most of these HTPC MOBOs (assuming I am using the onboard sound capabilities). Is there enough power to run my other subwoofer with a good rumble (I have a 2nd subwoofer, NOT the BOSE one- I turn the volume all the way off on the Bose sub, and use the 2nd Sub instead). I'm not into HIGH END audio, but would like the option to have it loud the few times here and there. Do I need a separate sound card, or is the integrated sound good enough on most these MOBO combos (I'm thinking a gigabit in a mini-itx)??? 4) I am running a Netgear WNDR3700 Router w/ high speed internet. I'm going to TRY to run the HTPC WIRED directly to this- but am also considering going wifi with it. With that said, I am also looking at building a NAS system to backup my 2 other PC's in the house (no raid, just backup) as well as the HTPC. Is it best to store all the Media on the HTPC, and then use the NAS strictly as a backup for the HTPC (and other PCs)? Or, should I store all the media on the NAS as well, and stream it to the HTPC? If I do this- what kind of throughput will I get from wireless streaming HD movies from the NAS? Where there be much delay from selecting media (or fast forwarding, pausing, etc) to the time it actually functions? How do most people handle this? I'll start a new thread for my hardware questions. I appreciate any/all responses! Thank you!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
(1) Ok, XBMC is a media front end only; so it's tuning tools - which are starting to come about, are not as polished as say, WMC. However, some people prefer XBMC because it's easier to control decoding codecs, management for output, etc. There are pros and cons. I've never been a big fan of XBMC because it's a constantly moving target frankly.

(2) Yes, you can make it work. Many HTPC will output 8-channel analog or SPDIF.

(3) They output line level. They do not have an amp. If everything is going into your Bose, then it's providing the Amp anyway.

(4) Store less media on the HTPC, more on a centralized server. This makes your end unit much quieter, and that's important because it will be in the area you view. The more drives, etc. you put in it, the more heat, higher fans, etc.

eyal8r

Auditioning
Real Name
eya
Awesome- thanks for the reply. OK- if I store all my media on a server or NAS- how much delay is there when accessing the media? I have a Gigabit router, but might even be using a wireless connection if I can't get it hardwired into where the HTPC is. What about basic functions such as scrolling the movie menus/catalog, ff/rewind, etc? Can you answer based on either hard wired or wireless connection? Also- let's say I will store all my media on a server outside the HTPC. I plan on using this for Cable/DVR (Ceton 4 card). Is it best to store the Cable TV/DVR Media on a media server as well? Or is it better to keep those recorded tv shows on a drive inside the HTPC? Again, how much delay is there when accessing those shows over a network vs. on a drive in the HTPC? Thanks a TON for the help!

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
The delay is unnoticable to the user, because once it starts playing, it's full flow. Unless your home network is less then 10/100, then you have no problems. Gigabit home networking is far more common now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks