What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes 4 Disc Golden Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
from that link.

"The Awful Orphan" (Jones; 1949):

ABC: Charlie disguised as a baby at Porky's doorstep, Porky kicking him away, and Charlie returning to the same spot as an irate old lady hitting Porky in the head with an umbrella was deemed too violent and edited out of the cartoon.

and it might be a miracle if we ever see this one restored.

"Baby Buggy Bunny" (Jones; 1954):

ABC: The scene wherein Bugs puts Baby Face Finster in the washing machine after Finster has played with the "dirty money" was removed from this cartoon. Also gone was Bugs throwing Finster up in the air, saying, "Oh dear, I do believe I have forgotten my fudge," walking away, and letting Finster land flat on his face; the cut was done so that it appeared that Finster fell from atop a bookshelf. Deleted too was Bugs learning painfully the truth about Finster's "toy" gun. "Yeesh, some toy!"
CN: The aforementioned scene with Finster's gun is dropped.
Merrie Melodies: Same edit as on CN.
Syndication: Trimming was done at the point that Bugs shakes Finster violently while saying, "How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money?"

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Syndication: Trimming was done at the point that Bugs shakes Finster violently while saying, "How many times have I told you not to play with the dirty money?"
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

That's, like, drop-dead funny! I can't believe they'd cut that.

And I pray that short is on Vol. 2. ;)

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
I watch a lot of just the first disc and it great, I pay 40 bucks for the 1st disc alone! Great set!(I bought the Golden Collection)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Eric,

I gave this set to my wife a week early for our anniversary, because we both happened to be home on Saturday night. We watched about an hour of the first disc, and we both in awe. I can't believe how wonderful these shorts looks, and how absolutely hilarious they are. I would agree that each disc is worth its weight in gold!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I bought the set from Amazon. Can't wait for it to come in. :)

I remember the Baby Finster cartoon. I distinctly remember all those scenes that have been cut out...too bad political correctness has ruined our society. :thumbsdown:

Mark C.

Supporting Actor
I'm totally floored. I've been watching the shorts, with and without the commentaries, since Thursday night. Incredible. Funny, when I'm viewing, I can't help but think how ABC butchered Looney Tunes as the years passed, cutting out one "violent'' scene after another, until nothing was left. To see these shorts restored to their full lengths and revitalized visually is truly a great experience. Thank you Warner.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
2 questions.

1. has anyone ever counted the number of times bugs said "I knew i should have made that left turn at albaqerquie."(sp sorry about that)
i just found one called "herr meets hare" and somehow after missing that left turn he ends up in germany.

2. after you hear him say, "of course you know, this means war".

who would you be more afraid of?

a. the Terminator
b. Freddy Krueger
c. Tony Soprano
d. Tony Montana
c. Bug's Bunny

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
Just received my Golden collection this morning and I've been watching these on my PC at work (much to my manager's amusement)

What a great collection - I'll definitely be picking up more of these as they come out.

Looking at the cuts page, two of them that I'm really looking forward to: "Sahara Hare" with the camel and the "Roman Legion-Hare" with the lion. I dunno, maybe I've just got something about Yosemite whacking things over the head....;)

Phil S

Auditioning
Jimmy K--

I have an IDENTICAL problem with "Wabbit Trouble" at about four minutes in (where the confrontation with the bear occurs). My copy was also bought at Costco, and seems to have one or two tiny scratches on disc 1.

The problem occurs on a Panasonic DV-30; my Denon 2900 appears to play this correctly (without the severe pixelation that occurs on the Panasonic).

Please advise on what machine you are using to play this with, and whether a replacement copy cures the problem.

Thanks!

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
Also some people have said the commentaries are a bit dull but I found them highly interesting. There real eye-openers in the world of animation. Also the short featurelettes are really cool too. Saddly though I won't be able to watch anymore till Dec. 9th, it actually a birthday present for me, but I was able to watch the first disc... I don't know if I can wait another month to watch this set :frowning:...

Nick Senger

Stunt Coordinator
Phil

As I mentioned earlier, I too had exactly the same problem on my Toshiba, at 7 minutes in, as Elmer and the bear are bounding from tree to tree. I too bought my set at Costco. I returned it and the new set works fine.

I thought I could detect some sort of substance on the disc, but it was very small, like a glue drip or something. I can't be sure though.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Please advise on what machine you are using to play this with, and whether a replacement copy cures the problem.
This was on my Toshiba SD6200. I exchange the set at Costco yesterday and all the discs were securely attached to the hubs and look to be in good shape.

I played disc 3 on my Pioneer DV414 last night with no problems. However, I do know that my Pioneer has better defect tracking than my Tosh.

Over the next week I plan on watching all 4 discs on my Tosh to make sure the replacement set is fine. I'll post the results at that time.

JimmyK

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I just checked the Censored Looney Tunes Page and the scenes they say were cut on "Big House Bunny" seem to be intact on my DVD.

Doug

Paul Penna

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul
Just to head off any unfounded rumor-mongering:

There's been some comment on cartoon forums about some titles in the set being "slowed down" (like reverse time-compression). People are pointing out that some voices are lower-pitched than they're used to hearing, and that music is in a slower tempo.

The explanation is that a number of titles have long been in circulation, both on video and in broadcast, in versions that were time-compressed, and it's these that have been "imprinted" on some viewers.

ChrisKe

Stunt Coordinator
From the review on page 1

Again, these cartoons are upwards of 60+ years old, sure there are going to be some imperfections. There was a good amount of grain structure remaining and the amount of film dirt and scratches was rather minimal, but present. Also present is a fair amount of video noise. I doubt it is compression related and would be curious to hear from the experts. It’s more of an observation than a complaint.
I was watching some of my favorites last night and the noise present in the picture was quite noticable. When there is a pan, the noise stays still which leads me to think that it may be scratches or marks on the equipment used to photograph the cels.

This is not a complaint but I think I've been spoiled by too many modern animation features...

Andy_G

Stunt Coordinator
Or, they could just do what Disney does and take every hint of grain and dust out of the picture. . .

(see "Snow White")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks