What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Looney Tunes 4 Disc Golden Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm VERY impressed with this set. I read that there was some disappointment with the selection of toons, and I have to admit that I was looking forward to hearing "Hey Grandma, what BIG EYES you got!", but alas it didn't make it to the DVD. :frowning: I was really hoping that they'd put the same episodes on the DVD that they did on the LD. Of course, "Nips" from LD set 1 wouldn't make it to a mainstream set like this. I guess I'll still be using my LDs for a while.

Warner's response on the excite article was "what would we do for an encore?". While I understand what they're saying, you have to remember that the LD box sets sold like crazy, so if they even just put one or two more good ones on the first DVD set, people will still buy the rest.

Mike

Jim Tudor

Stunt Coordinator
My Costco copy pixilates towards the end of Wabbit Trouble as well. :frowning: Does returning the set for another one at Costco do any good? It looks like some people haven't been able to shake the problem, despite numerous returns. What is the best solution for this?

JiM T

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Jim,

My copy pixilates on both my Toshiba and Panasonic players. But it plays fine on my computer and also my brothers no-name player.

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Finally got to watch all 4 discs. I am happy to report that my replacement set from Costco plays fine on my Tosh SD6200.

JimmyK

Mike_S

Stunt Coordinator
My wife and I watched Disc 1 (4 disc set) last night. What's funny is that we went out to a nice restaurant last night with the plan of coming back home to watch Looney Tunes. Probably not too many couples doing that last night. But who knows? Anyway, it's been awhile since our faces 'hurt' so much from laughing. Extras on disc 1 included 3 of the shorts with music only, as well as 3 short 'character' bios: Bugs, Yosemite Sam & Elmer Fudd. Most interesting was Part 1 about the gang of animators from Termite Terrace, a bio made back in '75. This is turning out to be perhaps our favourite (Canadian eh?) DVD set in our collection. This is a very loaded set!

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
I'm hoping the Looney Tunes fans here can answer a long-standing question for me, one of which I was reminded while watching disc 1 the other night.

As many times as I've seen High Diving Hair over the years, I've never been able to decipher a gag in it. I like to think I'm fairly savvy with period humor and references contemporary to the time in which most of the LTs/Merrie Melodies were made, but I've never had the slightest clue about this, and would love to learn its origins. As I have to describe the gag to ask the question, I'll place it in spoiler tags:

At one point in the picture, after Yosemite has chased Bugs up the ladder yet again, he finds that Bugs has constructed a door on the high diving platform. Yosemite pulls at the door knob and yells "open up this door!", then backs away, breaks the fourth wall in fine LT tradition, and comments to the audience, "ya' notice I didn't say 'Richard'?" What the heck is this referencing? Does anyone know?

Thanks to anyone who can clue me in. :emoji_thumbsup: And to WB -- what a fantastic product. I'm on to discs 2, 3 and 4!

P.S. No trouble with Wabbit Twouble on my copy, I'm thrilled to report. The disc did have some lint and debris on the read side out of the box, though, as well as a few small scratches. Careful, gentle cleaning, and it hasn't caused me any trouble ... eh, twouble.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Bill,

That's a reference to a popular old song. I believe the commentary track for that cartoon offers the full explanation.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Sorry to spoil your spoiler, Richard...

High Diving Hare (04/30/1949)

In the fine tradition of Warner cartoons, the line is a reference to a lyric from popular music of the time:

Open The Door Richard

The song was a number one hit for Count Basie in 1947, and several other artists had chart success with the song.

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Ah, a song! Very good. Thanks, Scott. :emoji_thumbsup: I listened to Ford's commentary, but he doesn't mention the gag or its reference (unless I somehow missed it, which is always possible -- I believe the track is silent throughout the gag in question). Any idea as to the title of the song? The trivia hound in me would love to know.

UPDATE: Keith just posted. Many thanks. :emoji_thumbsup:

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Does anyone know how the set is selling?
Apparently, it's doing great. It looks like Warner is dropping the 2-disc releases... and are going to make the Gold Collection sets contain more cartoons and more extras.

Warner also seems to have volumes two and three planned.

They may change it, but Horton Hatches An Egg might be on the 2nd volume. We'll probably get more of the 1930's and 1940's cartoons now that 57 cartoons are out of the way.

Eric Emma

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Eric H. Emma
That's awesome! I get to finally watch my copy on Dec. 9th since that when my birthday is!

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I just hope we can see a set with two of my favorites, "What's Opera Doc" and "One Froggy Evening", two Chuck Jones megaclassics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks