What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Family Ties Season 1 (1 Viewer)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew

Actually they didn't acquire Paramount; when Viacom broke up CBS Corporation got the TV production division and back catalogue.

But this is turning out to be a letdown for me, even though there are 19 unmolested episodes (save the logo replacement which is a minor annoyance), considering the price tag suggested there would be something more to justify an extra $10 (which is usually what they have to add to the price to get the music rights).

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
I love rewatching these episodes. Some I've seen in syndication over the last few years and some I haven't seen in a long long time.
One thing I realized or noticed is how the premise of the show still stands up after 25 years. They could easily do a present day version and I think it would be a hit. Instead of copying them and doing liberal parents w/ conservative child, they could do the opposite. Conservative parents with liberal, free-wheeling teenager who attends anti-war protests and the such. That would be a hoot considering our political climate ever since 2000.
Anyway, I'm loving the DVD.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
watching the first five episodes, two things dawned on me.

1. a lot of people point out how dated the series is because of the obvious influence of President Reagan, but I disagree. Considering the state of the nation and the war and the fact that it seems like the left and the right seem to hate each others guts, I think the show couldn't possibly be more relevant today considering the cold war between Democrats and Republicans. I think more people should watch Family Ties today for that reason because it tries to provide a voice of moderation between the two.

2. it gets a little depressing these days watching Michael J. Fox on here so young and full of life considering how bad his Parkinsons has gotten these days. I'm a little worried he won't be around too much longer and it's a shame because I always enjoyed his acting.

actually, the route it took made it fresher. It usually seems like it's the conservative parent with more free-wheeling liberal offspring. The reversal of roles made Family Ties more interesting if you ask me

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason

Oh, I agree! I'm not saying Family Ties should have done it the other way around. I think it was and still is an excellent concept. I was just thinking of ways the premise could be done today. You are right about today's political climate. I consider myself a fiscally conservative independant and all I've witnessed over the last 7 years is each side calling each other idiots. A show along the lines of Family Ties could be done today and it would be successful. The question is...do it like Family Ties did it or the other way around?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
you are right, like I said, I hate that people think FT is a dated show because of the Reagan-era when I think the issue of conservative vs. liberal, but at the end of the day we're all family and still love each other, is probably more relevant now than it was 20 years ago considering all the mudslinging between both sides. I am surprised this show hasn't faired better in reruns this decade considering I think the debates on the show are just as crucial now as they were then.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Look, the show isn't being sold because of its contemporary relevance; it's being sold because of nostalgia. If this weren't so, then we wouldn't be seeing things like All in the Family on dvd--that show is the most topically dated of all. By that same thinking, pretty much all tv shows are dated.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
well, I am just pointing it out because a lot of people say that the reason that the show hasn't faired too well in recent years on rerun outlets is because the message of the show is way too dated to appeal to today's audience, when if anything, I think the message of the show is the total opposite of dated considering tensions between left and right.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, neither Jay nor I said anything about why they released it. We were just pointing out the relevance it still has in today's world.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member

Wow has it been that long, while never made a connection with Family Ties.

What made this song so special ?

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
the song was used twice, in 1985 and then again in 1986 during key breakup scenes for Alex and Tracey Pollan's character (forgot the name, but it is funny since she ended up Michael's wife anyways), and the second time (when they split for good, hey, it's been twenty years, it's not exactly spoiling last night's tv shows), it struck such a chord with audiences that people began requesting the song on radio stations and then the record company re-released it as a single and became a huge hit.

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator

Which are the three episodes that have been changed? I know that the Pilot and Jennifer's Boyfriend have been changed, what is the other? And are those definitely the only episodes affected by music replacement? Thanks!!

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

an ep that remember was when he and tracy were at the bus/train station.
she was leaving i think and he went to try and stop her?
sheesh it was so long ago.

was a super emotional episode.
i cant remember what season it was though.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
looking on tv.com i think it may have been the two part "the real thing"
these may have been tracy's first appearance on the show.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
yep, the song originally aired in the first two-part episode in 1985 when she came in on the show, and then again in 1986 when they split for good

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
I just picked up the set myself and I don't know what everyone's complaining about. Complete, by no means, is to infer that the episode are unedited. The Complete First Season is meant to convey the fact that the set contains every episode of the first season, not that it's been edited. You guys are taking the 'Complete" term too literal ...

I watched the series when it originally aired on television and I think the reviewer is too young and doesn't have the neccessary experience in watching the series when it originally premiere to offer his comments on how "dated" or "bad" the series is. The topics contained within the episodes of this series are as relevant today as they were when I was growing up and watching the series back then.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter
I agree, while the "No Nukes" episode is extremely a product of it's time (wasn't the No Nukes thing already dated by 1982? I thought that was late 1970's), the majority of the messages on the show still ring true today. I noticed the set is in the 70's on Amazon, I am so crossing my fingers that means it's selling well enough for Paramount to greenlight more DVD's. I've loved this show since I was a kid and it's one of the few sitcoms from the era (alongside Cosby, Golden Girls and Facts Of Life) that I loved as a kid and yet still holds up in the presence.

I'm hoping that despite not playing so well in reruns in recent years, that the fact that Michael J. Fox is such a beloved entertainer will help sell this show to people who may not have seen it before.

Shaw

Stunt Coordinator

You've hit the nail squarely on the head! The studios just don't give a rat's a**. I also think that it is predominantly classic TV shows that are probably seeing the most cuts and music edits. They really just don't care! They know there are plenty of people who will buy this and not even read the fine print. I looked at it in the store the other day and saw the very fine print mentioning the music cuts. I simply walked away. Another classic TV Show getting p**ped on.

To borrow a quote someone else uses here, if I may:
"STOP THE MADNESS! STOP THE BUTCHERING OF TV SHOWS ON DVD!"

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
A few music alterations or cuts on a show like Family Ties, where music did not play an imporant role, really should not have much of an effect on the show's quality.

I think Family Ties suffers for being too much of a product of its own time period. Cable channels like the Hallmark Channel and TV Land have tried airing it in syndication, but after just a few weeks the show had to be replaced, because of a lack of interest from the viewers.

Syndication is reruns on local stations seen only in a local area. Hallmark and TV Land are not syndication.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks