What's new

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
Jeez, I just noticed the Spoilers podcast, which I haven’t listened to. I am subscribed, but don’t recall receiving a notice on that one. Still, on my walk, I’ll start the dessert island episode. When you guys went to the island, did you see Giligan or better Ginger or Mary Ann? :P
Mary+Ann,+Gilligan++&+Ginger.jpg

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I’ve walked 3 miles and just started the second segment. I was gratified to see several choices being movies that the reviewer saw in their childhood. However, how can you talk about franchises and not mention Toy Story? Maybe it happens later.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I’ve walked 3 miles and just started the second segment. I was gratified to see several choices being movies that the reviewer saw in their childhood. However, how can you talk about franchises and not mention Toy Story? Maybe it happens later.

Nobody brought that one up but you are welcome to. They are neat but not genre defining for me.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Nobody brought that one up but you are welcome to. They are neat but not genre defining for me.
Well, I did bring it up. Of course having any kind of movie list always has someone questioning the omission of a film. Let’s just say Toy Story is number one for me.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My complete top ten, plus franchise, TV series, and guilty pleasure:

1. Raiders of the Lost Ark
2. Star Wars - Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
3. Innerspace
4. Grand Canyon
5. Fantasia
6. Jaws
7. North By Northwest
8. Metropolis (both Restored & Moroder versions)
9. Apocalypse Now (theatrical cut)
10. The Rocketeer

Franchise: Marvel Cinematic Universe
TV Series: Chuck
Guilty Pleasure: MST3K #816 - Prince of Space

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I haven’t heard yet and I took a slightly different approach in my selections but I hope that my two cents will provide some comfort and solidarity. I very much look forward to reading all of your lists! :)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I think my franchise choice would be Bond.
I’m currently rewatching all the bonds (in UHD!) and loving every minute of it. I’m up to For Tour Eyes Only already, so plenty under my belt but plenty to go still.

The Bond franchise was under brief consideration for me heading into the podcast recording before I landed on what it was always going to be, honestly!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I’m currently rewatching all the bonds (in UHD!) and loving every minute of it. I’m up to For Tour Eyes Only already, so plenty under my belt but plenty to go still.

The Bond franchise was under brief consideration for me heading into the podcast recording before I landed on what it was always going to be, honestly!
Things like Marvel seem to be very popular, probably because there are so many movies. To be honest, they wear me out. I can't watch that much of them. The constant action and EFX make me kind of numb. I seem to prefer the "Dark" Marvel stuff like Jessica Jones, but those aren't movies.

What put Bond over the top for me is that there are a lot of movies with varying styles, and they cover about 60 years, so there's just variety.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
It's funny. I'm trying to go with three movies. I came up with one almost immediately, but the other two are giving me fits.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
Things like Marvel seem to be very popular, probably because there are so many movies. To be honest, they wear me out. I can't watch that much of them. The constant action and EFX make me kind of numb. I seem to prefer the "Dark" Marvel stuff like Jessica Jones, but those aren't movies.

What put Bond over the top for me is that there are a lot of movies with varying styles, and they cover about 60 years, so there's just variety.
I can appreciate the choice of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. But your reasoning for the Bond movies is one of the key reasons I am enjoying my current run through the series. The changing styles, music, dress, effects work, budgets, etc., make it a fascinating compare and contrast exercise.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Regarding the authenticity of Whiplash one of my friends sent me off to check out the Buddy Rich tapes... The are uhhhh... illuminating. Spoilered for language.

Check out Seinfeld's take on them.
I continue to wonder how many of the presumably millions of people that have heard The Beastie Boys' "Sabotage" over the years have any clue who they were talking about when they said "I'm Buddy Rich when I fly off the handle!" Like Jerry said, it's more of an obscure thing that comedians know.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Regarding the authenticity of Whiplash one of my friends sent me off to check out the Buddy Rich tapes... The are uhhhh... illuminating. Spoilered for language.
My father was a Jazz musician, and while he never worked with Buddy Rich, he knew a lot of people who did. Nobody who ever worked with him had a single nice thing to say about him.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks