What's new

Podcast HomeTheaterUnited Podcast Episode 14 - Todd Erwin on Streaming Frustrations (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can see a point coming in the not-too-distant future where I stop putting new stuff into my HTPC and simply use it to manage the legacy content that I already have. I’ve already decided I’m not doing 4K with it. My disc purchases these days tend to be for things not available anywhere else. And the HTPC is brilliant for managing TV show episodes compared to dragging out the discs. But in general, I don’t see myself buying discs forever just to buy more hard drives to rip them on to.
I know it's when, not if, that I let go of my HTPC and discs completely. I won't buy a disc now if there's no digital code. And I redeem all codes; no reason not to future proof since it's trivial and free.

I'm ripping 4K, buying when affordable. My HTPC will do 4K. So that's not a stopper per se, for me. But TBD when I upgrade my household.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Because I’m an older soul in a younger body, I know that I have legacy content that’s probably never going to make the jump to readily available on streaming. And that’s okay, I can’t imagine there’s a ton of demand for old 1950s half hour shows or forgotten 1930s b-movies. But that stuff tends to be my comfort food viewing, so I have an interest in keeping that accessible as long as I’m still kicking. If I don’t keep the discs, I lose access to the content.

But on the other hand - I really love The Mandalorean and WandaVision on Disney+. But I don’t feel compelled to own them since they’re never leaving that service. Not having a disc doesn’t affect my ability to access the content.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
kick-them-while-they-are-down_1172.png

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
I can see a point coming in the not-too-distant future where I stop putting new stuff into my HTPC and simply use it to manage the legacy content that I already have. I’ve already decided I’m not doing 4K with it. My disc purchases these days tend to be for things not available anywhere else. And the HTPC is brilliant for managing TV show episodes compared to dragging out the discs. But in general, I don’t see myself buying discs forever just to buy more hard drives to rip them on to.

That's where I am now and UHD was the deciding factor. Now I use the HTPC just as you said, to manage my older legacy titles and, in my case, also for music. I 've never even bothered trying to rip a UHD disc to it. It's just not worth the time to me. When I'm in the mood for some great sound and excitement I pull out a disc and plug it into the Panasonic 820. When I'm more in the mood for a compelling storyline or some good old comedy, I either pull up something from the HTPC library of turn to Netflix. If it's Netflix I'm usually watching on my office PC, which still has a decent 2.1 system and 43 inch screen.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Fun developments in streaming north of the 49th parallel: because Disney is not rolling out Hulu globally, starting tomorrow in Canada and Europe, among other areas, Disney+ is instead adding its 6th "channel" [the other 5 being Disney, Pixar, Marvel, Star Wars and National Geographic], which will be called Star and will allow Disney+ subscribers access to more "mature" content from the 20th Century Fox, Touchstone and Hollywood libraries. I'm looking forward to this, especially since it will also include Disney-produced Hulu and FX content. Disney+ is also bumping its subscription price to $11.99 Cdn/month, but current subscribers will be grandfathered for 6 months at the current rate of $8.99 Cdn/month. A $3 bump seems reasonable, given that Star will launch with 500 movies, and who knows how many TV shows. Thoughts?

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
My hunch is that Star will eventually become Hulu once Disney's acquisition of Comcast's stake is complete.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
My hunch is that Star will eventually become Hulu once Disney's acquisition of Comcast's stake is complete.
That would require setting up Hulu as its own streaming service outside of the US, whereas the Star "channel" is simply a subset of Disney+. More likely and less costly is Disney acquiring the remainder of Hulu, shutting down the separate streaming service and making it a "channel" of Disney+.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Supporter
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I'm giving Paramount+ the one year try. My NetFlix physical disc subscription will be ending far later than it should have. Hulu and Prime are simply givens for me. I don't expect to continue Apple+ after the free period... but are they still giving free years when you buy a computer? It could last forever for me if that's the case.

DaveF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Apple+ TV+ AppleTV+++ service is free year only for new subscribers, like everyone else’s trial I believe.

Unless. You’re on the original free year that’s now been re-upped for like a second year and counting. In that case, maybe that goes forever? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
merrickw