What's new

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
logo_htfp-1024x1024.jpg

Continue reading the Original Blog Post.

Hey Kids, Whatcha Watchin'?
Brian Dobbs and Sam Posten talk about what they have watched in 2020 -- the good, the bad, and the ugly. Listen in, as they try to guess where each other’s selections ended up.

Subscribe via RSS
Subscribe via iTunes / Apple Podcasts
Subscribe via Spotify
E-mail us at [email protected].

Show Notes

'Til next time!

Brian and Sam

htfp-podcast-brian-dobbs-sam-posten-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
This sounds great to me on my PC via the embedded player but I am hearing a gnarly echo when I listen on my iPhone via Overcast. Anyone else hear that?

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
iPhone connected to a decent quality JPL bluetooth speaker right now. Sounds normal. There‘s some background noises occasionally, like desk stuff crumpling, and pretty sure I heard someone’s Ring doorbell. I’m wondering if BrIan sounds more “open” as a function of his room.

But I’m describing features of all podcasts. Nothing aberrant or making it hard to listen.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hooray, glad this got out in time for the holidays =)

So what are YOU GUYS watching these days?

After being more expansive over the summer, I’m back to more of sitcoms and series (both film and television) like we were talking about on the desert island podcast. For my solo watching, that is. On the television front, old classics like The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet provide half an hour doses of an impossibly tranquil, peaceful and conflict free life, while a revisit of Fringe offers some continuing character drama with a bunch of freaky fun sci-fi mysteries. On the film front, I’m doing my yearly Star Wars rewatch.

What I’m enjoying about all of these choices is that the decision of what to watch is made. I’m someone who can easily waste away what time I have to watch TV stuck in decision paralysis so having multi-season shows and a long running movie series means that I can just put something on and the figuring out part is done.

My wife and I are currently watching Queen’s Gambit together. We’ve had a lot of success with limited series or short run seasons because it gives us something to do for a week without feeling like too much of an undertaking. With so much of day to day life in either a holding pattern until life can return to normal, or in a routine that doesn’t vary much day to day, it’s nice for us to watch things with clear beginnings and endings because it makes things feel a little less homogeneous to start and finish something.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Finished up Mandalorian D+.
Watched Mystic Popup bar on Netflix. Korean series.
Watched second season of Hilda on Netflix. It is an animated kids series, but I think it is quite well written for a youth series.
Rewatched "The Fantastic Mr Fox on" D+. Music soundtrack is F'd up at the end.
Have watched about half of Queen's Gambit.
Need to get back to finishing the second season of Aggretsko on Netflix.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Mandalorian
Discovery
Deep Water Horizon
Spotlight
Meg
Predator (the last one, I like it)
Rampage
The Last Starfighter
Charlie Brown Christmas
The Ref
Die Hard
Home Alone

The last four are all Xmas movies.

We will be watching:
Christmas Carol (Disney)
West Wing 2nd Season Xmas episode
All Creatures Great & Small Xmas episode
Bad Santa (by myself)

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
For the past 8 weeks, I’ve been watching The Mandalorian every Friday night. Before that, Star Trek Lower Decks and the occasional movie here and there. Lately, I’ve been trying to watch an episode of The West Wing every night before bed. I wrapped season 4 Wednesday night but took off last night to watch the latest episode of The Grand Tour on Amazon Prime. I tried watching Star Trek Discovery season 3 and gave up after two episodes.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm part way through. Quick comment:

@Brian Dobbs lamenting there's nothing good on TV but also not having streaming says it all.

There's some good stuff still on broadcast TV (The Unicorn is a recommended for sitcom), but almost all the best TV is on streaming now. And without exaggeration, the quality of TV has never been higher. I mean, S5 of The Expanse started this week. Season 2 of The Mandalorian has its finale today (about to watch it). The Good Fight on CBS...why did I wait four season before starting it? Kipo had its third season and series finale this Summer, and it was a wonderful "kids" show (that's also for adults).

If you don't have streaming, you're not watching TV in 2020 :)

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Just finishing up the three seasons of Suburra- Blood of Rome on Netflix.
An exceptional series

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
don’t know that one. What’s it about?
An overweight dude has a heart attack. He falls for his African American nurse and begins to woo her. She has immigrated from...oh damn, I forget the country in Africa. Much is made of the different cultures, all in a humerous fashion. The two leads are a winning combination. If you’ve got CBSAA you can watch it from the beginning. It’s in it’s second season.

Last edited:

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
I'm part way through. Quick comment:

@Brian Dobbs lamenting there's nothing good on TV...

Did I say that? I just think it says a lot about our society that there are so many reality TV shows. I still watch Simpsons, Family Guy and the new season of Cosmos live. While I don't have streaming, I try to purchase the shows later on home video. I just am not capable of keeping up with a streaming subscription, given my other hobbies, activities and interests in life. Plus kids, ha.

If the show is good, I'll add it to my list to get to eventually. It is amazing how many good shows there are, but I also find it problematic having so many streaming services. Keeping up with all of them would be a full time job!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Did I say that? I just think it says a lot about our society that there are so many reality TV shows. I still watch Simpsons, Family Guy and the new season of Cosmos live. While I don't have streaming, I try to purchase the shows later on home video. I just am not capable of keeping up with a streaming subscription, given my other hobbies, activities and interests in life. Plus kids, ha.

If the show is good, I'll add it to my list to get to eventually. It is amazing how many good shows there are, but I also find it problematic having so many streaming services. Keeping up with all of them would be a full time job!
My error if that’s not what you meant. :) My response to the “C’mon can’t we do better than reality shows”, was, “Yea, we do! There are so many phenomenal shows on right now, and triply so on streaming services, that I’m completely oblivious to the reality shows out!” :)

Brian Dobbs

Ambassador
Real Name
Brian Dobbs
My error if that’s not what you meant. :) My response to the “C’mon can’t we do better than reality shows”, was, “Yea, we do! There are so many phenomenal shows on right now, and triply so on streaming services, that I’m completely oblivious to the reality shows out!” :)
Yep. It's baffling to me why ads for the Masked Singer run during Cosmos is what set me off. Two different audiences.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks