HT setup

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by PeteST, Nov 11, 2004.

1. PeteST

I have a rather silly question regarding HT setups. I intend on hooking up a DVD player to a HT soon and I was just wondering if the TV sound/speakers should be incorporated in the setup at all (i.e. DVD to receiver and then to TV). I have a feeling that the TV sound is not used in 5.1 setups since it would ruin the effect, but I can’t seem to find a proper answer to this anywhere (probably because the answer is fairly obvious). So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Nathan Stohler

No, there are very few circumstances where you would actually use your TV speakers as part of your surround setup.

You might get away with using your TV as a center channel in place of a true center speaker if your TV has a "center channel in" (and you have a center channel preout on your receiver), but even then, I would rather go without a center than use the TV; your TV speakers will almost certainly be inferior to your dedicated speakers (there may be exceptions).

Most TVs have the option of disabling the TV speakers completely -- then you don't have to worry about people (especially your 1-year-old) playing with the TV volume.

--Nathan

3. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Nathan is right............
    The tv should only be used for the video. The tv's speakers shouldn't even be used as a center channel either, although some people use them. They won't timbre match your other speakers, therefore, not a good choice.

4. Cameron_Johnson

Don't use the TV speakers. They are likely much lower quality then your surround speakers, plus the drivers won't mach with the other speakers drivers. You'll also lose a lot of sound quality when running the signal through so many devices.

-Cameron