What's new

How Crucial is It For Surrounds to Match the Fronts? (1 Viewer)

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
The subject title says it all. I'm using the old Rat Shack Pro-LX5 Lineaum speakers as my surrounds, and the Polk RTi28's as my mains(I use a Phantom center)and an old Cambridge Soundworks subwoofer. I don't notice any major mismatch between the front and the back, but I hate to think I might be missing something. Any input appreciated.

Dave_Olds

Stunt Coordinator
Well, first and foremost, the Phantom center should be addressed into a matching center for the fronts - from there matching the surrounds isnt truly critical unless you are extremely picky and watch a ton of movies over music, etc.....

But without a center - it just isnt right....the center properly handle the dialogue while the fronts handle the ambience & music....You are missing alot with a true dedicated matched center....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You are missing out on some SPL, but really you aren't missing anything by using a phantom center.

I'd probably upgrade the rears to something at least closer to the Polks (something from Polk), but it isn't that critical unless you are doing a lot of multi-channel music (DVD, DVD-A, SACD). In other words, you aren't "missing" anything by not having matched rears, but you will notice a better overall ballance by matching them.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably upgrade the rears to something at least closer to the Polks (something from Polk), but it isn't that critical unless you are doing a lot of multi-channel music (DVD, DVD-A, SACD). In other words, you aren't "missing" anything by not having matched rears, but you will notice a better overall ballance by matching them.
I have a DVD-A DVD player(RP-82), but I only have one DVD-A title, Naxos Don Giovanni. I mostly listen to regular 2-channel CD's with just the front Polks. I use the surrounds only for movies.

I really don't feel like I'm missing anything without a center speaker. Every time I have tried using one, the center just seemed to cause attention to itself and distract from the film. The RTi28's have incredible imaging; that's why I have them(based on a Stereophile review, which rated them the best speakers under $1,000 a pair). The dialogue is totally locked to the screen, even when I or someone else isn't in the sweet spot.
I know that Polk makes two center channels that are tonally matched to the RTi28's, and I'm tempted to get one. But I've had tonally matched centers to other speakers in the past, and they still just didn't sound right. Maybe it's the placement or the different shape, or whatever. It just never sounded right to me.
I would rather spend the bucks on a better sub than either a center channel or new surrounds.

Thanks for the info, guys!:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert AG

Stunt Coordinator
The surround speakers in an actual movie dubbing stage aren't anywhere identical to the front main speakers, so if it's OK where the films are mixed, it should be OK for your home.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Every time I have tried using one, the center just seemed to cause attention to itself and distract from the film.
Calibration and a bit of tweaking (placement) should take care of that.

I mostly use my surrounds for movies as well, and right now, they don't match my mains anymore either (upgraded the mains). Still sounds fine to me, even with SACDs.

TylerZ

Stunt Coordinator
Larry,
I believed it was the RT25i that Stereophile mag reviewed in their Sept. 2001 issue, not the RTi28. The RTi28 replaced the RT25i. The main difference between the two is the 25 has the tri-laminate tweeter and the 28 has the reworked silk/polymer tweeter. Both however are a great value for the price.

DarrenAlan

Stunt Coordinator
Depends on what you're using your system for.

Movies, esp. with rears set to "small": Not much.
DVD-A or SACD: A lot.

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I believed it was the RT25i that Stereophile mag reviewed in their Sept. 2001 issue, not the RTi28.
Tyler,
You're correct. I just checked the review and it was for the RT25i. Polk still links to the review from their RTi28 page, so they must consider both the RTi28 and the 25 to be fairly interchangable.

Again, thanks for the info, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks