What's new

Can Bose ACM10 II Base be swapped with Bose ACM5 II Base? (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
BTW, the biggest part of wall mounting is to be sure the wall/screw anchors can support the weight. The person doing the install should know how to properly do this for the material that the wall is made of.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
That ML subwoofer should work fine. The 120Hz thing mentioned is only for a sweep it can do to find vibrations in the room. The crossover for the sub will be handled by the receiver and should probably be around 120Hz anyway. I would say no higher than 150Hz.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Aloha Mike Up, Thank you for still being a GEM; I really appreciate your time and especially your knowledge.

You stated 'You have a complex subwoofer which is unlike most. It does its own calibrations. A subwoofer can go in the low bass with a limit. The sub also has a limit on how high in the bass it can go. The maker says it can go up really high in the bass at 200Hz but they limit that with it functions to 120Hz. That high bass is important to satellite speakers which have only high bass reproduction and nothing much below. So the sub and speakers must match so no "hole" in the bass is made.'

Since you said that the Martin Logan Subwoofer
'should be a good match to all these speakers' and that you feel the ES10 and ES35 in your opinion is my best small speaker system, does that mean that 'there will be no 'hole' made in the bass?'

In doing more research/comparison of Wall Mounts I found the following to be almost similar but big difference in price for same product with an 'off' brand:

1) Jumbl SINSB7W ProGrip Ultra Stainless Steal Speaker Wall Mount Bracket $22.99 vs Definitive Technology Vepa Pro-Mount 90 $59.00
2) Sanus WMS3 $59.99 vs Best Buy Rocketfish $29.99

where one is made of Stainless Stainless vs nylon/plastic. Do you think it would be okay to go with the 'Off Brand' item is the same?

In fact, in pulling out the template diagram / instructions for the Polk ES10 I know what the 1/4-20 threaded receptacle is and where it is located which is just below the 'back grill' and above the 'wire connector area is' to connect the Wall Mounts.

Thanks again for helping me; I really appreciate your time and knowledge.

Mahalo, Robbie

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Hi John Rice,
Thank you so much for your comments about the subwoofer; I just saw your Post after I sent mine.

Are you also saying that my Martin Logan should be fine and that I don't need to worry at all as the Geek Squad should know how/what to do in Testing/Setting up all my components?

As far as my comments on the wall mounts, do you think stainless steel/metal is better than nylon/plastic? And going with Off Brand would be okay for such a difference in price?

Thanks again for your time too; I really appreciate your input and help.

Mahalo,

Robbie

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Hi Mike Up and John Rice,
I forgot to THANK both of you for talking me out of the Cambridge Audio Minx; I really appreciate it.

Mahalo, Robbie

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Robbie,

regarding wall mounts, I suggest one made of metal, not plastic, and specs on those tend to be exaggerated. I'd go with ones that are rated to hold 2-3 times the actual weight of the speaker. Attach them to a stud in the wall, and you should be good to go. I've never used these mounts, so I have no personal experience with them.

Regarding some of the other things, my lack of long responses isn't lack of understanding. It's because being presented with too much info can be very confusing. My goal is to try to guide you and provide the info you need, not to try and pass on everything that comes into my mind.

The 20-120Hz "limit" that was mentioned regarding the subwoofer isn't actually a limitation. It's the range of the frequency sweep the sub can produce for testing, which is intended to find vibrations in the room. I'd just not worry about that. That's not something you'll be messing with. The sub you purchased should be just fine. Personally I'd probably have gone with an SVS SB-1000 (which Best Buy does sell) but it's probably just six of one, half dozen of the other. Everything is a bit of a trade-off. The SVS 3000 Micro, as another option, is very small and comes in white, but it's $900.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Aloha John Rice and Mike Up,
Thank you for your quick response and suggestion on the Wall Mounts; I really appreciate it.

You mentioned that you personally would have gone with the SVS SB-1000 which Best Buy is selling, which is the PRO and it is $599.99 vs $699.99 that I paid for the Martin Logan as they didn't Price Match Amazon as ML wasn't on Sale at Amazon

Mike UP also previously mentioned 'SVS is once again selling the 10", single port, PB-1000 and they're selling it for $500. They are also selling the SB-1000 for $450.

SVS previously were not selling either and only the more expensive PRO versions. Only bad is that I've read many complain about the PB-1000 having a clanking sound which was something to do with the driver itself. Plus I can't say these would sound as good musically as the Klipsch I've heard. Low end bass extension means nothing if the subwoofer doesn't sound good with music.'

With ALL what you both said/suggested; Amazon had the SB-1000 for $449.99 but wouldn't ship to Hawaii and Crutchfield was not available. Therefore, I called SVS as they had the SB-1000 that said FREE Shipping; however, when I put in Hawaii it said only Continental US. I was going to have it shipped to my niece in California and have her send to me; but SVS gave me rough quote of FEDEX and said it would cost approx $150 to ship and they said better to just buy the SB-1000 PRO that Best Buy had for $599.99.

So thanks to BOTH of you, I called Best Buy and the Manager I dealt with Cancelled my Martin Logan and Ordered the SVS SB-1000 Pro and Refunded me $100. Delivery/Installation for the LG 77" OLED G2, Polk ES10/ES35, SB-1000 Pro right now is September 15.

By the way, the person I spoke with at SVS used to work at Best Buy who also owns the LG OLED TV said that it should last longer than 5 - 7 years because the pixels were 'individual.'

Thanks again John and Mike for ALL your help; I really appreciate it.

Mahalo, Robbie

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yea, the current model is the SB-1000 Pro. That's really what I meant. You made the right decision to go with it instead of the plain SB-1000 for the same price.

As you already discovered, SVS has excellent customer service.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Aloha John,
Yes, thanks . . . in fact the SB-1000 was $100 cheaper than Martin Logan. Customer service was excellent at SVS; I was talking with someone who used to work at Best Buy and told him about my problems with Geek Squad and provided me some Tips. He also was the person that told me about the OLED and the pixels being 'individual' and that he has had his TV for 5 years now and it still looks Good as New.

Thanks again to you and Mike for steering me in the right direction; I really appreciate it.

Mahalo, Robbie

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
As far as speaker mounts, I'd have to do research just like you to find what's best. I will say when I mounted my 4 infinity speakers to the wall, I used dry wall anchors because I didn't have a stud accessible where I needed to put the speakers. There is anchors that have weight ratings that are made for drywall and other material. My speaker are heavier than the ES10s and I've had them up for about 10 years without issue. All 4 are surround speakers and I have them mounted using their key slot mounts built into the speakers.

I don't think you could go wrong with that Martin Logan Subwoofer but the SB-1000 Pro is suppose to be good as well and is really small.

Funny some of the professional reviews I seen said that the SB-1000 Pro (sealed) wasn't the best for movies and the PB-1000 Pro (Ported) wasn't the best for music. This review also covered the higher end Klipsch SPL-120 which they liked except for it's higher price, although it's now $500 on Amazon. They also covered the Martin Logan Dynamo 600X that you replaced and didn't sound like they cared for it. They also covered numerous other subs. The winner of the review, the RSL Speedwoofer is still out of stock. It's essentially a pipe dream, it's been out of stock for 2 months and you have to pre-order, PAY FOR IT, and wait, and wait, and wait. Not my cup of tea on purchasing anything, this way. I passed on it because of lack of stock, although it looks like a great subwoofer for a decent price. Amazon just lowered the price of my Klipsch R-120SW from $349 to $297 so I'm happy.

Sounds like you have a really good system!

BTW, my Klipsch R-120sw was really bigger than I wanted but I squeezed it into my spot behind the left front speaker. The SVS SB-1000 Pro would be the only SVS sub small enough to fit in my spot. Even the Klipsch SPL-120 was too big. The Martin Logan Dynamo 600X was a smaller sub also.

Let us know how the SB-1000 Pro sounds. I listen to a lot of Rock music and am big into home theater so I had some concerns with that little sealed sub although it looks like it has decent output.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Aloha Mike Up,
Thank you so much for your continued support and comments/information; I appreciate the information about the dry wall anchors and you using the key slot mounts.
I wasn't sure if I could use that as I thought I read that the speaker shouldn't be mounted 'flush against a wall' that should sit off the wall? That's why I looked at the 'Jumbl SINSB7W ProGrip Ultra Stainless Steal Speaker Wall Mount Bracket $22.99 vs Definitive Technology Vepa Pro-Mount 90 $59.00' as that what DT ProMonitor 800 suggested.
Thanks also for saying that 'Sounds like you have a really good system' with me making the last minute change to the SVS SB-1000 Pro. As mentioned, the person I spoke with at SVS said he used to work at Best Buy and that he just sold his 2 Martin Logan 600X and bought the SB-1000 Pro which he though was a better bargain for the price and what you're getting.
Thanks again for ALL your help along with John as I told him for 'steering me in the right direction;' I really appreciate it.
Mahalo, Robbie

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
My speakers have stand offs so they don't sit directly on wall. The ES10s do as well with the power port being the stand off. Good luck with all of this, hope it goes well for you.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Hi Mike Up,
Is the 'stand offs' the Grill that you are referring too that seem to have like a 'funnel cone' pointing towards the speaker where the keyhole is at the top? So is that 1/2" enough to be considered keeping off the wall?
Right now my Bose seem to be able to swivel as it is double cubed meaning that 1 faces the people watching TV and the other bounces off the wall.
Also, the Bose is sitting about a foot from the 8 ft. ceiling and we're sitting about 16 feet away from the TV. Therefore, I don't need to have to have the ES10 tilt or turn?? See how CLUELESS I am . . .
I look forward to hearing back from you; appreciate your comments.
~Robbie

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
For stereo presentations you want the front speakers pointed toward the listeners for imaging and soundstage. I have my surround speakers mounted facing out because a diffused sound field can help with surround. You really dont want them directly aimed at you like you do for the front speakers.

The ES10s were designed to use the keyhole slots or they wouldn't have them. Rotational speaker mount can be beneficial though for different situations.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Hi Mike,
If you don't mind me trying to explain my set up, True Seating area is 11.5' Wide x 19.25' Deep; TV to Sofa is 16'. Two speakers to Left and Right behind Sofa; Left Front is on Left Wall leading to upstairs and Right Front is to the Right of the TV.
Therefore, if I use keyhole, it will be Set Up in the Same areas as wiring is behind the walls. That's the only way that they will face if we use keyhole; thus Front right would be facing us and Front left would be facing the pool table. If I used 'Jumbl SINSB7W ProGrip Ultra Stainless Steal Speaker Wall Mount Bracket' it would allow me to Turn a little; would that be better? Or should I just use keyhole?
Thanks, Robbie

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Hi Mike,
If you don't mind me trying to explain my set up, True Seating area is 11.5' Wide x 19.25' Deep; TV to Sofa is 16'. Two speakers to Left and Right behind Sofa; Left Front is on Left Wall leading to upstairs and Right Front is to the Right of the TV.
Therefore, if I use keyhole, it will be Set Up in the Same areas as wiring is behind the walls. That's the only way that they will face if we use keyhole; thus Front right would be facing us and Front left would be facing the pool table. If I used 'Jumbl SINSB7W ProGrip Ultra Stainless Steal Speaker Wall Mount Bracket' it would allow me to Turn a little; would that be better? Or should I just use keyhole?
Thanks, Robbie
You want your front 2 main speakers equal distance from main listening position, forward and to the sides.

Your tv and center channel speaker should be right in the center of the 2 speakers with center channel speaker below or above television. If the 2 front speakers aren't equal distance, your imaging and soundstaging will be destroyed offering poor sound quality.

Use additional speaker mounts to accomplish this as well as the tweeter aimed at listeners ears.

Good luck

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a note. In a 5.1 system the surround speakers should be on the side walls, pretty much at the same distance as the viewers, aimed toward the viewers, usually a couple feet above ear level. It's common to mistakenly put them on the rear wall facing forward, which is how the rear surrounds should be placed in a 7.1 system, but is incorrect for a 5.1 system.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just to add in, those ES10's are designed so they can be mounted flat against the wall. While I don't subscribe to the belief that front speakers should always be aimed at the listener, it's always a compromise to have them flat against the wall. It will tend make them fatter sounding. Despite the common belief to the contrary, the ideal imaging is often obtained with the speakers aimed straight forward, but at least a couple feet away from the wall. It depends on a lot of factors, not the least of which is the dispersion characteristics of the speaker. What works with a speaker designed for extremely wide dispersion won't tend to work with ones with narrow dispersion, like horn loaded ones. These should have at least moderately wide dispersion. In any case, with the ES10s, I think it's probably ideal to use mounts, rather than just the keyhole. However, the keyhole probably works quite well, just with no ability to adjust them, and they might sound a little fatter up against the wall. They also could rattle at higher volume unless some sort of pads are put between them and the wall.

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Hi Mike and John,
Thank you so much for all your input about where/how in the proper environment my speakers should be placed.
When you walk our house from the Garage, our Kitchen and Family Room is one Big Open living space with no Walls.
Our Buffet Countertop where we sit for meals facing the Kitchen is the Divider between the 2 areas; then you have the Family Room that was extended 10' to put in a Pool Table and then the Back Wall of the house.
Therefore, the True TV watching area has NO Side Walls as the TV is on the Left Wall of the Family Room and the Sofa is 16 ft away on the Right Wall of the Family Room. Therefore the Bose speakers were set up as mentioned: All speakers are on the walls about 1 ft. from ceiling; Two speakers to Left and Right behind Sofa tilted to the Listener. The Left Front is on Left Wall leading to upstairs and is tilted and about 12 ft away from the Listeners. The Right Front is to the Right of the TV, tilted to the Listeners and about 12 ft away from the Front Left speaker; and Center is in Front of the TV.
I guess since we don't have the ideal set up as Best Buy was just going to Remove the Bose and Replace with ES10 in the Bose 'spot,' and since my husband doesn't want to have Speakers on Stands and we have 2 mini dachshunds running around.
As Mike said 'If the 2 front speakers aren't equal distance, your imaging and soundstaging will be destroyed offering poor sound quality' . . . therefore, I guess it can't be helped but we will be getting 'poor sound quality?'
I've been on the phone with Polk and Crutchfield and they insisted in our set up that we shouldn't do the Keyhole and that the Wall Mounts that will Tilt/Turn to the listener that I bought are the ones that I should use.
Thanks again for Both of your time as I really appreciate it; however, I guess we just have to 'make do' with the Set Up we have.
Mahalo, Robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks