What's new

Can Bose ACM10 II Base be swapped with Bose ACM5 II Base? (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
Hi Mike and John,
Thank you so much for all your input about where/how in the proper environment my speakers should be placed.
When you walk our house from the Garage, our Kitchen and Family Room is one Big Open living space with no Walls.
Our Buffet Countertop where we sit for meals facing the Kitchen is the Divider between the 2 areas; then you have the Family Room that was extended 10' to put in a Pool Table and then the Back Wall of the house.
Therefore, the True TV watching area has NO Side Walls as the TV is on the Left Wall of the Family Room and the Sofa is 16 ft away on the Right Wall of the Family Room. Therefore the Bose speakers were set up as mentioned: All speakers are on the walls about 1 ft. from ceiling; Two speakers to Left and Right behind Sofa tilted to the Listener. The Left Front is on Left Wall leading to upstairs and is tilted and about 12 ft away from the Listeners. The Right Front is to the Right of the TV, tilted to the Listeners and about 12 ft away from the Front Left speaker; and Center is in Front of the TV.
I guess since we don't have the ideal set up as Best Buy was just going to Remove the Bose and Replace with ES10 in the Bose 'spot,' and since my husband doesn't want to have Speakers on Stands and we have 2 mini dachshunds running around.
As Mike said 'If the 2 front speakers aren't equal distance, your imaging and soundstaging will be destroyed offering poor sound quality' . . . therefore, I guess it can't be helped but we will be getting 'poor sound quality?'
I've been on the phone with Polk and Crutchfield and they insisted in our set up that we shouldn't do the Keyhole and that the Wall Mounts that will Tilt/Turn to the listener that I bought are the ones that I should use.
Thanks again for Both of your time as I really appreciate it; however, I guess we just have to 'make do' with the Set Up we have.
Mahalo, Robbie

I tried to visualize and even draw your room by your description but couldn't. Maybe you could draw your room out and post here.

I sure wouldn't put the front main speakers up that high, being within a foot of the ceiling. The front right and left speakers should be to the sides of the Television or to the sides and slightly above (speakers aimed down) or below (speakers aimed up) it to keep the front soundstage on the television and not the side wall up by the ceiling. When sounds pan from left, to center to right, ideally they should transition across a horizontal plane not go up and down. Also having the speakers to high could cause reflections off the ceiling. I have the top of my souund (side and back) speakers about 1-1/2' down from the ceiling as surrounds are recommended to be placed.

Without a pic for room, hard to visualize. So does your staircase have a wall on it's outer side that protrudes into the room with the staircase running along your left wall? Is it that wall you have your left speaker?? Then you right speaker set back on the outside wall, which would be the wall in the staircases inner side?? So then your left speaker sits forward of your right speaker by around 3' ?? If that's the case, it's not ideal but maybe you can make it work by using your receiver's volume output level to adjust to the right speaker's volume output and the distance setting so that the sound arrives to your sitting position at the same time as the right speaker sound.

Good luck

Last edited:

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Hi Mike,
Thanks for trying to help me get the best of my system but I think we're going to stay with where the Bose is according the Best Buy as it would be easiest just to Remove/Replace.
They said that using the tilt/turn wall mounts the Installation Team will do their best in ensuring the Sound is the best it can be. As said, the Bose was like that and because we're don't listen to music and just watch Action/Thrillers that's on TV as we don't stream or anything . . . and we were okay with the Bose.
I have a showcase to the left of the TV and another one in my Dining Room which has another bigger showcase which is against the wall that the TV and don't want any type of drilling/pounding as I don't want anything to break in that showcase.
Thanks again for your time in suggesting ways to make my system be the best it can be; I really appreciate it.
We can hardly wait for next Friday, 9/15.
Mahalo,
Robbie

RL0205

Agent
Real Name
Robbie
Thanks Mike and also John; looking forward to our new 77" TV and speakers.
Couldn't have done it without Both of your inputs as well as others that gave input too.
Thanks again for your time in steering me in the right direction.
Mahalo,
Robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks