What's new

Hanna-Barbera Re-releases (1 Viewer)

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Wouldn't be surprised if these come with adverts for the boomerang streaming service. Either on the disc or as a paper advert.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Wouldn't the removal of special features and change in the episode-per-disc configuration require the menus to be changed? That makes me think that these are mere reconfigurations of the previous releases rather than reprints. Also, I don't recall for sure, but I thought some of these releases had a Special Features menu on each disc that would direct you to a different disc to access the special features.
But yes, I think we would have known by now if any of the previous issues (such as the Magilla theme/credits) had been fixed.

I saw Yogi and Magilla in a brick & mortar store the other day.

I couldn't bring myself to buy Magilla again just to find out whether there's anything there that was missing from the original set. Nowhere on the package does it even say how many discs are included. I have been assuming it's the same as what I have.

On the other hand, if Magilla was just now coming out through Warner Archive, it probably would be cleaned up like Potamus. And sometimes they surprise me. The "Here Comes A Star" promo special was edited on the original Magilla Gorilla DVD set (probably not on the new one at all), but was complete when it was an extra on one of the Saturday Morning Cartoons collections.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I saw Yogi and Magilla in a brick & mortar store the other day.

I couldn't bring myself to buy Magilla again just to find out whether there's anything there that was missing from the original set. Nowhere on the package does it even say how many discs are included. I have been assuming it's the same as what I have.

On the other hand, if Magilla was just now coming out through Warner Archive, it probably would be cleaned up like Potamus. And sometimes they surprise me. The "Here Comes A Star" promo special was edited on the original Magilla Gorilla DVD set (probably not on the new one at all), but was complete when it was an extra on one of the Saturday Morning Cartoons collections.
Wal*Mart says it's three discs ....
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Magilla-...75035&wl11=online&wl12=55765802&wl13=&veh=sem

Specifications
TV Rating
Not Rated
Studio & Production Company
WARNER HOME VIDEO
Color
Y
Record Label
TURNER HOME ENT
Number of Discs

Movie Genre
dvd - ANIMATION
Physical Media Format
DVD
Assembled Product Weight
0.66 Pounds

Dvdelf

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael Harriott
I just picked up Josie & the Pussycats and Pebbles and Bam Bam
Nothing special on the inside, episode list
Josie is all 3 discs stacked on top of each other
Pebbles at least has them separated

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
From Digital Bits Today:
"Warner Bros Home Entertainment has just unveiled their new Hanna-Barbera Diamond Collection line of DVD and digital releases, set to include a wave of “over 70 seasons of the most popular animated titles of the 50s, 60s and 70s, many of which have not been released on DVD and digital until now.” Some of these rebranded DVD packages have been available previously, including the likes of The Flintstones, The Jetsons, Scooby-Doo, and Yogi Bear, with more set to come through December of this year. All of this is being done to celebrate the 60th anniversary of the founding of William Hanna and Joseph Barbera’s iconic animation studio."
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/062217-1600

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick
The next batch of re-releases has been announced. According to Video ETA, the following will be released on October 3:

The Flintstones S2-6
Richie Rich Scooby- Doo Show Vol. 1
The Scooby-Doo Dynomutt Hour: Complete Series

Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volumes 2 & 3

This leaves the following releases yet to be re-released (although I am not sure if they will re-release all of them?!):

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home: The Complete First Season
Space Ghost and Dino Boy: The Complete Series
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio: The Complete Series
The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest: Season 1, Volume 1
The Jetsons: Season 2, Volume 1

The press release stated they will be releasing over 70 seasons from various HB shows, I wonder what else they plan to release?!

Last edited:

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
The next batch of re-releases has been announced. According to Video ETA, the following will be released on October 3:

The Flintstones S2-6
Richie Rich Scooby- Doo Show Vol. 1
The Scooby-Doo Dynomutt Hour: Complete Series

Tom & Jerry Spotlight Collection: Volumes 2 & 3

This leaves the following releases yet to be re-released (although I am not sure if they will re-release all of them?!):

Wait Till Your Father Gets Home: The Complete First Season
Space Ghost and Dino Boy: The Complete Series
Birdman and the Galaxy Trio: The Complete Series
The Real Adventures of Jonny Quest: Season 1, Volume 1
The Jetsons: Season 2, Volume 1

The press release stated they will be releasing over 70 seasons from various HB shows, I wonder what else they plan to release?! I could see them releasing the 80s Jetsons and
Im wondering myself. Hopefully we hear something at Comic Con this next week.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Tom & Jerry (theatrical) are considered part of the Hanna-Barbera library now?

And they are actually re-releasing the Spotlight Collections? I guess that means full stop for the aborted Platinum Collection or whatever it was called. That's a shame.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Tom & Jerry (theatrical) are considered part of the Hanna-Barbera library now?

And they are actually re-releasing the Spotlight Collections? I guess that means full stop for the aborted Platinum Collection or whatever it was called. That's a shame.

I just hope that means that Warner Archive now has control of the Tom and Jerry Show which WHV was holding before. Which would mean that they can release the original Saturday morning version of The Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape Show and not the later syndicated versions of these where they separated them and replaced the original credits with new credits. I would consider it a huge disappointment if they released Grape Ape in its syndicated version of The Great Grape Ape or whatever they called it. I want the original Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape show.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
I just hope that means that Warner Archive now has control of the Tom and Jerry Show which WHV was holding before. Which would mean that they can release the original Saturday morning version of The Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape Show and not the later syndicated versions of these where they separated them and replaced the original credits with new credits. I would consider it a huge disappointment if they released Grape Ape in its syndicated version of The Great Grape Ape or whatever they called it. I want the original Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape show.

I agree with you, but it is WHV, not WAC, which is doing these re-releases. So I guess all bets are off.

And how do they handle the Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show? (And am I misremembering or wasn't there also a T&J/Mumbly without the Grape Ape at one point as well? Pretty sure only the Mumbly segments were new. The T&J/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show was parodied on The Simpsons as "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show." They just had an announcer say "and Mumbly too!")

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I agree with you, but it is WHV, not WAC, which is doing these re-releases. So I guess all bets are off.

And how do they handle the Tom And Jerry/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show? (And am I misremembering or wasn't there also a T&J/Mumbly without the Grape Ape at one point as well? Pretty sure only the Mumbly segments were new. The T&J/Grape Ape/Mumbly Show was parodied on The Simpsons as "The Itchy & Scratchy & Poochie Show." They just had an announcer say "and Mumbly too!")
Yeah If I remember right I think there were only a few new Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape as part of the Mumbly show. Mostly new Mumbly episodes. They could save those episodes for a mumbly release or include them with Tom And Jerry /Grape Ape.

Mark Y

Screenwriter
Yeah If I remember right I think there were only a few new Tom and Jerry/Grape Ape as part of the Mumbly show. Mostly new Mumbly episodes. They could save those episodes for a mumbly release or include them with Tom And Jerry /Grape Ape.

That would be cool. But "Fred Silverman anthology shows" like this are always tricky. It would have been cool to have the eight Scooby and four Dynomutt segments from "Laff-A-Lympics" as part of the Scooby Doo/Dynomutt set because otherwise, where do you put them? I think the same would apply here.

I also would like the individual openings/closings from the different incarnations of the shows as extras. But the trend now seems to be leaning towards no extras at all.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(More generally).

One possible rationale for Warner dropping the special features from previous HB season sets, is if they no longer have the rights to use these special features and/or the current rights owners are asking too much for them to be licensed again.

In the end, only the Warner home video division insiders will know for sure what the real reasons are.

Last edited:

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
(On a huge offtopic tangent, but Warner animated related).

It appears the re-released/repackaged Flintstones season 1 set was reauthored with 9/10 episodes crammed per single-sided disc.

At this point, I wonder if Warner is going to be doing a similar reauthoring for their DC animated dvd season sets.

Recently I've been noticing some of the older DC animated season/volume dvd sets were showing up in local dump bins for around $10 a pop or less (such as the 90s era Batman and Superman titles).

Of these older DC animated dvd sets, I would be willing to buy re-released/repackaged versions of the 90s era Superman volume sets again, even if they reauthored them to be 9-episodes per single-sided disc.

The original versions of these Superman animated dvd sets were done as annoying double-sided flipper discs. I exchanged/returned several defective copies of the Superman animated complete series dvd set, until I finally found a copy which did not have any unreadable bad sectors due to manufacturing defects. Extremely aggravating.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
I'm seriously considering picking up some of these, especially The Flintstones Volume 1. So, can anybody report on the quality. Since they got rid of the flippers, I'm assuming more episodes were crammed onto each disc?

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I'm seriously considering picking up some of these, especially The Flintstones Volume 1. So, can anybody report on the quality. Since they got rid of the flippers, I'm assuming more episodes were crammed onto each disc?

That's a very distinct possibility-- I think they probably took the episodes from the other side of the doubles, and put them with the singles that were originally there.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
The original sets had 3 single sided discs and only 1 flipper. I have played my sets 3 times each over the years and no problems with any of the discs including the flippers. Its a great show to have.

Kirben

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
What happened to the next batch of re-releases in December 2017? still no sign of any more.

Have the re-releases been selling poorly?

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
They also mentioned new to DVD sets for retail from WHV but we haven't got 1 new to DVD set this year from WHV.

Mr. Handley

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Paul
The original sets had 3 single sided discs and only 1 flipper. I have played my sets 3 times each over the years and no problems with any of the discs including the flippers. Its a great show to have.

I didn't have any problems with the playback on the one flipper disc in each season set either. That said, it's still a FREAKIN FLIPPER!!! Have I mentioned that I HATE FLIPPERS!!! I can't stand the sight of them and am slowly but surely eradicating each and every one of them from my collection. Did I mention that I don't particularly care for them? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks