What's new

Going to the movies alone... (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's a crying shame some people even make an issue of this. Even when I've been in a relationship, I often preferred to go to films alone. So what?

Now I hardly go to see a film at all, preferring instead that the film come to me and my home theater.

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
My girlfriend has decent taste in movies, so I see the majority of films in a theater with her. But I have no qualms about going alone, and I wouldn't be involved with anyone who wouldn't also go to the movies alone. The main reason I don't see a lot of movies theatrically is that I've invested so FREAKIN' much money in my HT setup. Right now I'm happy enough with it to be able to wait a few months until the DVD release. But some movies (LOTR) must be experienced on the big screen. Hence my seeing it 2 times (alone) at the theater.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I sometimes go by myself depending on the film, sometimes with my mates and usually with my long-suffering g.f.
For instance I went alone to see 'Final Fantasy the Movie' because no one I knew wanted to see it, and I enjoyed every minute of it and stayed until the last credit rolled, something I cannot do with whatsername in tow, when I'm with her she gets up as soon as the screen fades to black and drags me out by my feet with my nails scraping along the ground and crying like a baby "Nooooo! I wanna see who played that girl in the red dress! Waaaaah".:D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I often go alone—always when I’m traveling and frequently when I’m at home. If I’m going to a movie in which my wife has no interest, I expect to go alone. And frequently when we go together, we sit separately, as we have somewhat different seating preferences. At home we may or may not watch a movie together, depending on how we feel at the time.

Travis Olson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis Olson
I go alone all the time, big deal. I really couldn't care less if social snobs look down on me for it.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Nah, going to the movies by yourself is not like going to live theater alone or going out to eat by yourself
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why is there a difference?
In a word, waiting. For some reason, the wait between ordering and receiving my food just kills me when I try to go out to eat by myself; I never seem to have a book or crossword to pass the time with, and so wind up feeling like a complete dork.

Dave Gilbert

Second Unit
If there is something I really want to see that my wife and/or friends won't, I'll see it alone. I usually feel a little self-conscious about it, but that ends as soon as the theatre goes dark.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
There was a time when I went to the movies on a regular basis, back then I went by myself all the time. Since I got my first DVD player I've been averaging maybe two trips to the movies per year, and that's for when I'm on a date just looking for a way to kill time. If people think I'm a lameass pathetic wierdo they probably figured that out long before my movie going habits were known :)

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
I've gone to the movies alone, and have no problem doing it, but I haven't done it for many years.

Graeme Clark

Senior HTF Member
I've gone to movies, out for dinner, and to shows and concerts alone on a regular basis. I'm not sure what the big hangup about it is. I'd usually rather go with someone, but only if they want to be there. Dragging someone along just so you're not alone seems worse that being alone to me.
Haven't been doing it some much lately, as I haven't had money to do any of those things (except for the odd movie, which I can usually drag someone to :) )

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
I usually go to the movies alone, but I might go at most 5 times a year, and I don't feel silly or pathetic doing it.

Chris

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
I do go alone quite often, and have often gone alone even when the opportunity presented itself to go with someone else. I pretty much get my recommended does of human interaction from my 10 hours at work, so the movie it a wonderful way to enjoy my time. From the standpoint of going with people to the movie, they seem to be constantly trying to be social during it, especially with small comments during the movie. And I can't really blame them. If they aren't "into" the movie like I am, they're probably trying to get the most out of the experience or the time they're sharing with me.
I've long since gotten over anyone's impression of me with regards to anything. One of the worst thing people can do in their lives is to waste it worrying about what inconsequential people think about them. Unless they're going to be interviewing you for a job or you're asking them for a date, just do what you like. I always have a book handy in my car or I often get lost in thought while waiting.
Additionally, you can show up 1 minute before a big films opens and still find prime seating when you're just one person. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks