Going to the movies alone...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Vickie_M, Jan 4, 2003.

1. Vickie_M

Vickie_M Producer

I had to share this bizarre thread from another message board:
    http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/...hreadid=154282
    This probably should be in After Hours, but I really don't know how many of the big movie buffs hang out in After Hours.
    To make it suitable for Polls, let's do one. Do you go to the movies alone and do you think people see you as a lameass pathetic weirdo because of it?
    (I swear, until that thread, it never once crossed my mind that people look down on other people for going to the movies alone!)

2. Rain

Rain Producer

3. Jim_K

Jim_K Executive Producer

Never have but I always wanted to try it. For most of my adult life I've had a significant other - either girlfriends/wives. The times I've been unattatched I've always gone with friends.
    If I tried it now and my wife found out she'd kill me. [​IMG]

4. Bill McA

Bill McA Producer

5. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

6. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

7. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

When I worked a summer job in Lexington, and I was done with a shift and there was that lull in social activity from 2 to 5, I'd go watch a movie by myself.

8. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

The first time I went to the movies alone was when I had to redeem my Mummy Returns moviecash ticket or else it would expire. I couldn't find anyone to go with me so I just went by myself.

Now I do it all the time. I wouldn't have dreamed of it before college, but I find I enjoy movies a whole lot more if I'm by myself. Saw Punch Drunk Love in a totally empty movie theater and it was one of the best theater experiences ever!

9. Rob Tomlin

Rob Tomlin Producer

I've gone by myself one time only (to see Pulp Fiction for the umpteenth time) as I've pretty much always had a girlfriend/wife.

That being said, I know way too many people (friends and family) that go to the movies by themselves to think anything is even remotely wrong with this.

In fact, think about it this way: Why should you have to go with someone else? It's not like you can (at least you shouldn't!) talk to each other during the course of the movie! So, there is no social interaction with whoever you go with until after the movie.

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

And to add onto my response - if you check my entry in the 2002 Film List (bottom), you'll see I saw approximately 200 movies in the theater this year. Is there any way I could have done that if I had to co-ordinate with someone else each time I wanted to see one? [​IMG]
    (Of course, it's got to be that sort of insanely high number. If it were just 100, I'd be a guy with no life. At 200+, I'm a dedicated enthusaist. [​IMG])

11. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    The only time I have gone to the movie alone is if i REALLY want to see it. After the movie its kind of a let down to walk out and not be able to share it with anyone. In my mind i have the same feeling going to a movie alone as i would if i ate out alone...anyone ever see the movie "The Lonley Guy"? I dont think anyone REALLY notices if you go anywhere alone though...sure doesnt mean your a looser or dont have a life.

12. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I used to go with one of my relatives everytime I went to the theater. But after turning 18, I realized there were just too many movies out there that I couldn't see with them (my family's not exactly open-minded when it comes to film), so I decided to start going to the movies on my own as many times as possible. It does get a bit lonely at times, but it's a small price to pay for the chance to see so many movies.

13. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

14. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

15. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John

Why is there a difference?

I may have felt that way, but after college I had a job where I was always flying all over the country, staying in hotels and such, with no co-workers or many people I knew. I got very accustomed to eating alone. I don't give it a second thought anymore. I went to movies as well. If I'm in some city and don't have anything to do for the afternoon, and I'm in that situation a lot, I'm going to go to a movie if there is one I'm interested in. What I find lameass pathetic weirdo is thinking there is something wrong with people who go out to eat or see a movie alone.

16. Andy Olivera

Andy Olivera Screenwriter

Before I stopped going to the cinema altogether, 95% of the time I'd be alone. Having someone there with me was an unnecessary distraction. Besides, what few friends I had weren't interested in the films I saw(except for the ocassional blockbuster). Yet another downside: I only went during the week and only to the matinees. And one more downside: I usually saw two films back to back.
    Did people look at me as a loser because of it? Maybe, but I was a loser, anyway, and damn proud of it. Even the people at the box office recognized me...[​IMG]

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I've been going to the movies alone since I was in intermediate school. I am VERY independent, and my love for films exceeds my need for companionship. In intermediate school, I can remember taking a 1-1/2 hour bus ride each way to go see a movie.

What I see as somewhat pathetic are people who REALLY WANT TO go to see a particular movie but are so embarassed to go alone that they miss it. I have many friends like that. I LOVE the freedom of going alone. I see about 80 - 90 films theatrically a year and go alone to 95% of them. I find it SUCH a relaxing way to unwind after having to put up with people all week at work.

18. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

I go alone 90% of the time. It's been even higher in past years but I haven't seen close to as many movies this year as I have the last 4.

19. Cary T

Cary T Screenwriter

I do go to the movies alone and I have to for movies like Morvern Caller and Smokers Only. I've gone with a ton of people for the LOTR movies, but for the smaller independent films none of my friends are willing to see. And I understand it because they don't watch movies like I do.
    For those people who think we are lame, I'm with Steve, "screw 'em".

20. Bjorn Olav Nyberg

Bjorn Olav Nyberg Supporting Actor

Same with me, almost all the movies I see I watch by myself, be it in a theater or at home.
    I am a lameass pathetic weirdo though, but I don't think everyone who goes to cinemas alone are [​IMG]