What's new

Netflix Copenhagen Cowboy - New Limited Series from Nicolas Winding Refn (1 Viewer)

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Hey kids!

Do you like any of the following?
  • Very long, slow panning across a massive set from left to right (and sometimes, but almost never, from right to left).
  • Basements and concrete buildings dropping in lurid neon lights in pink and blue often fading into each other.
  • A protagonist that has almost no dialogue across hours of content.
  • Sequences where nobody moves at all or says anything for minutes on end (usually coupled with slow panning).
  • A pumping synthwave electronic soundtrack from Cliff Martinez.
  • Mostly impenetrable dialogue and plot that probably doesn't really matter.
  • Pigs that eat people.
If so, then Nicolas Winding Refn's latest show, Copenhagen Cowboy, is for you!

This is Refn's Danish-language 6-episode show about a diminutive hero, Miu, who chases after her nemesis while moving through the seedy criminal underbelly of Copenhagen. Refn has said it's his version of a superhero movie.

I happen to think Refn is a genius. A true modern auteur. I like everything he's done. Some of it I love. Without hyperbole, I think he's the best director working today at moving a camera through a physical space. Nobody pans a camera like Refn and his team.

But his stuff is avant-garde to say the least. It's mostly art and mostly not entertainment. I swear sometimes he actively tries to make his stuff impenetrable.

If you like Drive, Too Old to Die Young, The Neon Demon, or Only God Forgives, then you will probably like this. If you don't like those then you'll probably hate this.

I really liked it. But I'm strange.

Winston T. Boogie

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pike Bishop
He's a huge fan of Jodorowsky and it more than kind of shows. I like him too, think he is kind of a goofball, and not everything he does is great. I also love this interview with Friedkin, always makes me laugh:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I love Refn's stuff, but have no plans to restore my Netflix subscription any time soon. Though this could encourage me to do it, if only for one month.

One option you missed...

• If you think seeing a super model cough up a human eyeball is intriguing, you might like Refn.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks