What's new

Forbidden Planet - Is A Special Ed. In The Works? (1 Viewer)

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
PERHAPS I AM NOT VERY GOOD AT EITHER REMEMBERING OR SEARCHING THIS SITE FOR PREVIOUS POSTS BUT I SEEM TO RECALL READING ABOUT THE POSSIBILITY OR A S.E. OF THIS GREAT SCI FI MOVIE. OTHERWISE, SHOULD I JUST PURCHASE THE CURRENT VERSION IF I AM WRONG? ALSO, ANY THOUGHTS ON THE VIDEO QUALITY AND AUDIO WOULD BE NICE.

Jeffrey Gray

Second Unit
I asked about it in the 2001 WB/HTF chat, but I stupidly lumped it in with about a dozen other titles, thus leading to one of the most vague answers ever in an HTF set; the rep said they were considering some of the titles on my list, and thus we don't know any more than we did before the chat...

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I seriously doubt there is much material on this film for an SE.
I don't know about that, digging in MGM's vaults could bring up quite a few interesting tid-bits.
At the very least WB could make a nice 30-40 min. making of documentary. Maybe Douglas Trumble or another FX veteran could join Nielsen on the commentary...it was a fairly groundbreaking Special Effects film.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I wished! Forbidden Planet is my favorite fifties SF movie, would love to see a special edition, well they did it with 'Day The Earth Stood Still', so it's not impossible.

"Monsters John. Monsters from the Id!"

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
what about a Leslie Nielsen commentary
Shoot! How about a Robby the Robot commentary? :D

To answer your question: of course there will be an SE! Why? Because I just bought the DVD a few months ago. Duh!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Just a decent remaster would satisfy me. As it is, the color is just not accurately rendered, and the separation of the stereo sound is almost non-existent (better on the laser).

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
I seriously doubt there is much material on this film for an SE.
Guess you haven't seen the Criterion LD -- it's loaded with goodies including deleted scenes taken right off the workprint, which have never been shown anywhere else.

Of course, I'd also settle for just a better transfer than the one we have available on DVD -- MGM's last laserdisc release is still the best one of the lot!

SteveP

Second Unit
Anne Francis has taped some rememberances that air on TCM about how the guy in the Robby the Robot suit was too drunk to perform in some scenes!

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
CINEFANTASTIQUE did a double issue devoted to FP, (V.8,#2/3) back when they had no ads, and used to devote the bulk of the mag to 1 or 2 films. THEY found tons of stuff to write about-script, deleted scenes, artwork, interviews, photos, blueprints, props etc, so the material is out there, thus, together with the Criterion extras, a deluxe SE shoudlnt be that hard to create, even though some of the principals are gone...

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
A FORBIDDEN PLANET remake is in development at DREAMWORKS. Remakes always tend to bring attention to original versions, and when the new picture comes out, I'd bet that a deluxe FP DVD will arrive from WB.

Aside from the many extras, a new transfer and sound remastering are definitely in order. The current DVD (and the Criterion LD) look like crap compared to the last MGM LD release.

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
Didn't know about the Criterion release. Marvin Miller, the voice of Robby, is no longer with us.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
A FORBIDDEN PLANET remake is in development at DREAMWORKS
What a joke. Why do people bother to try to remake classic films. It almost never works & the new film fars far short of the original. You could not pay me to see a remake of "Forbidden Planet"!

P.S. This is one of my all time favorite films & it really pains me when I see films like this remade.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
To each their own. Personally, I loved this movie as a kid, have the current version on DVD, would buy a special edition wihtout a thought, and if they do a decent job on a remake, I'll be first in line.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Would also love a new SE of this film with a new Hi-Def transfer.

The current DVD is 16x9, but looks like a very dated film-tape transfer when you blow it up on a big screen.

The colors in the MGM laser are far better as is the stereo PCM sound!

-dave

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Forbidden Planet, along with Invasion of the Body Snatchers, and The Day the Earth Stood Still, is one of the seminal 1950s SF movies, and has had lots written about it.

Surely, if nothing else, someone could pay an impecunious film studies professor to do a commentary on the movie? I've always found audio commentaries by academics to be excellent, since there is an absence of 'X was brilliant to work with' BS that you get from cast/directors.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks