Flexy Stand Help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jason_M, Apr 3, 2004.

1. Jason_M

Jason_M Stunt Coordinator

hi, I have looked through various flexy posts and haven't found what I am looking for. Could someone please help.
    i went to Home Depot and could only find 3 foot threaded rods. What length are people using as well as what diameter? I need atleast 4 foot I think. i can only make a vertical stand not a horizontal stand if that makes sense. Basically I want the shelves stacked on top of each other not like 2shelves next to 2 shelves because I do not have the room. Please help with what length rod and diameter u guys are using.

Thanks
    Jason

2. GeoffM

GeoffM Agent

try a different Home Depot or Lowes - I've seen 6ft at both.

-Geoff

3. Clay Autery

Clay Autery Stunt Coordinator

Order them from McMaster Carr if you can't find them locally...

4. Andy Goldstein

Andy Goldstein Stunt Coordinator

i used 3/8-24 threaded rod for mine. i made end caps out of 3/4" aluminum rod, cut to 1" long each, 8 of them, and drilled and tapped 3/8-24. i didnt use nuts to hold the shelves. i dont know what others do, but i got some 3/8" stainless tubing and cut it to the length i needed between the shelves. i put 3/8" stainless washers between the spacers and the shelves, and tightened down all the end caps. nice and rigid, and looks good too!

ag.

5. Jason_M

Jason_M Stunt Coordinator

any pics Andy?

6. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

If you are going to cover them up like I did you could just get unions to connect smaller rods.

7. Chris Pags

Chris Pags Auditioning

I wasn't ever able to find long enough threaded rod at Home Depot either. I ended up going to a smaller local hardware store and just asking them to order it for me which worked out fine.

I used four sections of 6 foot long 3/4" zinc plated rod which I cut down to five feet apiece using a hack saw. It wasn't exactly easy on the arm, but it was doable.

8. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

saws-all baby [​IMG]

try a local industrial hardware store, I have become good friends with the guys at KL Jack

9. Andy Goldstein

jason_m: not any good pics yet. i will try to get one in the morning and post it.

ag.

10. Andy Goldstein

ok, lets see if this works:

[​IMG]

11. Andy Goldstein

cool! and now this one:

[​IMG]

gives you a basic feel for the look of the system. unfortunetly, the lighting in the living room is lousy, even with a flash. makes the pic either grainy, or dark if i dont enhance it. sorry.

anyway, you can see the flexy rack. i have painted the edges of the shelves, but not the tops and bottoms. not sure what to use yet. it is sitting on the sub, which is a 15" audiosource driver in a ported box. need to find the t/s info for it to tweak the box a bit.

to the left of the sub/rack is one of my home-made double Advents, with cross-firing tweeter. (patent not pending!) to the left of that monstrosity is the panny RPTV, with one of the Advent center-channel woofer modules tucked underneath, and one of the tweeters on top, mounted in a maple block. mirror image for the other side of the room. well, minus the sub and rack full of goodies. [​IMG]

at this point the surrounds are radio shack minimus-7 speakers, a pair for each side, and a pair for the rear. i have always felt that they sounded very much like the Advents, but without the bass. it all blends together very well!

ag.

oh yeah: the Dual turntable is out of the picture to the right of the rack. it sits in a custom base of MDF, painted with grey granite paint. kinda different! (YBnormal?)

ag.

12. Andy Goldstein

ok, just one more:

[​IMG]

ag.