What's new

Flexy Stand Help (1 Viewer)

Jason_M

Stunt Coordinator
hi, I have looked through various flexy posts and haven't found what I am looking for. Could someone please help.
i went to Home Depot and could only find 3 foot threaded rods. What length are people using as well as what diameter? I need atleast 4 foot I think. i can only make a vertical stand not a horizontal stand if that makes sense. Basically I want the shelves stacked on top of each other not like 2shelves next to 2 shelves because I do not have the room. Please help with what length rod and diameter u guys are using.

Thanks
Jason

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
i used 3/8-24 threaded rod for mine. i made end caps out of 3/4" aluminum rod, cut to 1" long each, 8 of them, and drilled and tapped 3/8-24. i didnt use nuts to hold the shelves. i dont know what others do, but i got some 3/8" stainless tubing and cut it to the length i needed between the shelves. i put 3/8" stainless washers between the spacers and the shelves, and tightened down all the end caps. nice and rigid, and looks good too!

ag.

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
If you are going to cover them up like I did you could just get unions to connect smaller rods.

Chris Pags

Auditioning
I wasn't ever able to find long enough threaded rod at Home Depot either. I ended up going to a smaller local hardware store and just asking them to order it for me which worked out fine.

I used four sections of 6 foot long 3/4" zinc plated rod which I cut down to five feet apiece using a hack saw. It wasn't exactly easy on the arm, but it was doable.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
saws-all baby :D

try a local industrial hardware store, I have become good friends with the guys at KL Jack

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
cool! and now this one:

gives you a basic feel for the look of the system. unfortunetly, the lighting in the living room is lousy, even with a flash. makes the pic either grainy, or dark if i dont enhance it. sorry.

anyway, you can see the flexy rack. i have painted the edges of the shelves, but not the tops and bottoms. not sure what to use yet. it is sitting on the sub, which is a 15" audiosource driver in a ported box. need to find the t/s info for it to tweak the box a bit.

to the left of the sub/rack is one of my home-made double Advents, with cross-firing tweeter. (patent not pending!) to the left of that monstrosity is the panny RPTV, with one of the Advent center-channel woofer modules tucked underneath, and one of the tweeters on top, mounted in a maple block. mirror image for the other side of the room. well, minus the sub and rack full of goodies. ;)

at this point the surrounds are radio shack minimus-7 speakers, a pair for each side, and a pair for the rear. i have always felt that they sounded very much like the Advents, but without the bass. it all blends together very well!

ag.

oh yeah: the Dual turntable is out of the picture to the right of the rack. it sits in a custom base of MDF, painted with grey granite paint. kinda different! (YBnormal?)

ag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks