What's new

DIY mdf pvc speaker stand help. (1 Viewer)

Alfie

Grip
to those who made their diy speakers stands..
just have a few questions.. so for example i put together 2 mdf boards as top and base... one board is cut for the pvc pipe right... my question is.. right a threaded rod is still needed so how do i lock this? wont the nut on top protrude and affect the speaker placement? any close up pictures? ihave already made a flexi rack.. and didnt have any problems... im just curious how the boards are secured to the rod..

pictures would help..ive seen some of these projects but still confused how it will come out flat on top.. im not worried about the bottom cause im planning to attach spikes anyway ..thanks.. great site btw!!!

JeffTodd

Stunt Coordinator
Alfie,

I have not done a project like this, so I don't have any pictures.

With that said I will try to offer some advice.
- I would counter-sink the top hole so that a nut would fit in without effecting speaker placement.
-In regards to locking the thing together, you could either epoxy a nut and washer to the top of the rod....so then you might be able to ratchet from the bottom with a lock washer or something to prevent slippage.

I guess it also depends if you plan on taking it apart after you finish it. You could also epoxy the washer at the bottom so that it is fixed permantly in a tight position.

Hope this helps.

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
i got some pics that might be of some help in my sig.

as to cover up that nut, i would use a nice Forstner bit and sink it down just enough so the nut won't show.

as for locking the threaded rod. i put a nut on top of the bottom piece of MDF and tightented the hell out of it. that compleatly locked the all threaded rod.

for the original page that has step by step click here

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
The nuts are countersunk in my stands. But there is actually a little metal cap on the top to provide a more finished look. This would scratch the speaker but I use a little bit of blue-tac on the four corners of the base of the speaker to secure it to the stand, this lifts it off the stand slightly and off the metal cap.

Check out the site in my sig for some pictures of the build process.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I didn't mess with threaded rods. In fact, I just plopped the top piece on the PVC pipes and just left it as-is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks