What's new

WIP: DIY Marble Base Speaker Stands (1 Viewer)

Jin E

Second Unit
Started a new speaker stand project tonight. I wanted something a little different from the PVC/MDF/Plywood stands I've seen DIY'ed. At the local kitchen supply house at the local strip mall I wound some marble pastry boards (12" x 16") for $12.99 each. I thought they would make great looking feet for a DIY Speaker Stand project. On top of being nice looking, the Marble really helps add mass down low to help stabilize the structure.

I took a masonary bit and drilled a hole in the center to run some all thread rod to tighten the top and "post" to. Instead of PVC I'm trying out a composite decking post found for about $18 at Lowes. If you've ever seen the composite decking, it's some pretty neat stuff. The deck post comes in 4 x 4 posts in 54" length. It's VERY dense like MDF, and should add quite a bit of weight to the finished product. I'm guessing just the post itself is close to 10lbs. It has a cavity that runs through the center, perfect for the allthread to run though to attach to the top plate. When cut in half that just about fits my 28-30" finished length I was looking for perfectly!

Tomorrow I will make the "top" and start the finishing process. I plan on using an adhesive between the post and the marble to keep it from moving around. Total cost so far including tax:

Marble Bases: $28
Allthread Rod: $3.50
Nuts and washers: $1.00
Composite Post: $18
9 x 11 MDF scraps: Free from previous Projects
Finish for posts and top: Unknown
Adhesive: Unknown/Undecided
Masonary Bit: $3
---------------------------------------
Total to date: $53.50

Not sure what color/finish I want to do with the top/post. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Right now I'll probably just shoot for a piano black finish.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Yeah, I think I'd go piano black too. Its going to be tough to find something to go well with the colour of that marble. Post some pics and let us know how they turn out!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Piano black might be tough to do on that post with the texture and all. Actually, those things are made out of recycled plastic, I believe, and are designed to resist moisture. You may have trouble getting paint to stick to it at all.

Not trying to rain on your parade, here... just saying you should test your finishes on a scrap piece first.

Keep us "posted" on your progress. (hahaha!! man, I've got a million of 'em!)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks