DIY speaker stands

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jack*Mains, Jan 28, 2004.

1. Jack*Mains

Jack*Mains Stunt Coordinator

Alright, my friend talked me into helping him make a few stands for his bookshelves, but he doesnt want to spend more than $40-50.

The plan is to use MDF or wood for the bases, and PVC piping for the vertical part of the stand. We can route and sand all the parts to make them look nice, but what would be a good material to finish them with?

I have no idea what would be used on the PVC pipe, or the MDF for that matter.

If there anything good our there that's availible at your local Home Depot that can be used as finish?

Thanks.

2. Aaron Gilbert

Aaron Gilbert Second Unit

Rustoleum hammered paint comes in either spray can or brush on in several different colors. It coats PVC or ABS nicely and you don't have to do nearly as much preparation to the surface, since the texture hides most imperfections. You might want to use some inexpensive paint similar in color as a base coat, as the hammered stuff is a bit more expensive. This isn't strictly necessary though, just saves money.

You could wrap the pipe with some patterned adhesive roll paper (comes in wood grain), but I think that would look hideous. If it's really ABS (black pipe), then regular brush on paint will stick well enough if you scuff up the surface with some sandpaper/steel wool/scotchbrite/etc. Actual PVC (white) is a lot more slippery.

Or you could go crazy like I did, and use a combination of black brush on paint, cherry wood stain, 5/4 pine, a 4 x 4, a piece of a Cubicon D tube, some green velvet, and brass hardware. [​IMG] But then you'd have to come up with a clever name like the Emerald Stands.

http://www.aaroncgilbert.com/images/...s/01140025.jpg

Aaron Gilbert

3. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I just painted my PVC with a brush. Worked great, took 2 coats, though.

Pics

Construction

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

I just went for rustolum's satin black, and love it.

5. Justin Ward

Justin Ward Supporting Actor

I used a stone-type textured paint for mine. Check out the pics in the link in my signature.

6. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Krylon also makes a new paint called "Fusion" that is actually formulated for painting plastics. It actually forms a chemical bond with the plastic so it should work better than standard paints.

I also tried some of the hammered metal paint this week. It works great but if you're painting over MDF you'll still want to use some sort of primer to seal the edges. It's very forgiving stuff as long as you don' spray it on too thick! [​IMG]