What's new

Interest in a flexy rack links page? (1 Viewer)

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
I (with some help) would like to put together a page with links to flexy stand projects. It could have some sort of explanation of what exactly a flexy stand is, and several links to flexy projects ( a la the sonotube links page). I have my own webspace, I just need help with finding links. So, send me your links!

[email protected] subject "flexy"

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
So are you suggesting I actually use this thread and it's contents, or that I give up on my idea because this thread has been archived?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Archived threads can't be posted to anymore. But just as a suggestion if you were collecting links, that was one link.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
I have some pics up here

And depending on how large this site will be, if HTF wants to somehow collectively (or one generous person) buy the "flexyrack.com" domain, I could probably host it, as I have a resellers account that could handle some more traffic. (see sig)

LMK if I can help :)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I really like these stands (geocities.com/viperaudiox/diy_stands.html) and intend on making a pair. :)

How is the PVC pipe secured to the wood? Is there a long threaded rod inside, secured top and bottom w/a nut? That's my guess.

I could build a pair of these for cheap!!! Heh, and I was gonna BUY stands. :rolleyes

BenSC

Stunt Coordinator
Yup, that's how I did mine w/ PVC too. However, I'm about to pull mine apart and put some liquid nails around the inside of the pipe where it meets the wood. With the DIII's on there the PVC is wobbly on the wood with just the rod, because of so much weight.

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Thanks, BenSC. I really like the look of those stands. I would put either a third layer of MDF at the bottom or make the two bottom pieces bigger for more tip-proofing.

I will probably make mine to look almost exactly like the ones I attempted to link to above. Can't wait to get more than 15 freaking posts! :rolleyes

Troy R

Stunt Coordinator
Since there is some chatter about DIY speaker stands.Here's how I did mine. I used some small ply wood squares to anchor my PVC into place. They don't budge at all.

My next project is a flexy rack. I can't wait!

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Nice job, Troy R! Heh, you're just like me; living in an apartment, yet treat it like a garage workshop. :b

The most interesing (stupid?) thing I ever did was while building a sub box for my truck.

I used a circular saw in the middle of my living room...right next to my couch. I figured "i'll just vacumm the dust up off the floor...no biggie."

Uh, no. About 10 seconds into cutting thru a piece of MDF, I realized the saw was chucking clouds of MDF dust everywhere. All over my couch. All over the grill cloths of my speakers....all over the wall. It was ugly. Took me a good 30 minutes w/the shop vac to get it all up. My neighbors thought I was a loon. They'd see me carrying sheets of MDF, 2x4s, sawhorses and assorted Big Manly Tools into my little apartment. I'll bet they thought I had it all decked out in there or something.

Hell, I was just "building stuff!" :D Next stop: a house with a proper workshop...er, garage. Yeah, a garage. ;)

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
How is the PVC pipe secured to the wood? Is there a long threaded rod inside, secured top and bottom w/a nut? That's my guess.
Yep, threaded rod runs through the inside and is secured to the base and speaker plate. Glue is also used to make a nice tight seal.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
heh, our stands have taken over the flexy thread. :)

And I agree, all these PVC DIY stands are gorgeous (including mine, of course)...and they save so much money! I can't wait to build my new set, for the surrounds.

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
Thanks guys, this is a great start. As far as speaker stands "taking over this thread", that's fine. I am a fan of all diy. If there is enough interest in these speaker stands, i'll include a list of them.

I plan to work on the page this weekend sometime, so send me those links!

Cliff L

Grip
Here's one from one of the computing forums that I frequent:

add the http (arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page?q=Y&a=tpc&s=50009562&f=34709834&m=2850959575&p=3)

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
I need to take some pics of the one I did here. I used some big washers and some 1.5" diameter PVC to cover up the threaded rod. The only thing I don't like about it is the big nut on the top. Has anyone found any nice looking caps for the end of the rods?

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks