Flexy: not just for hifi?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Colin-H, Jun 26, 2002.

1. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

Has anyone out there made flexy-style furniture? I remember seeing a picture of a cool flexy step shelving apparatus on a post here. I can't remember who made it and I didn't have the foresight to bookmark the post. Silly me.
    I'm thinking about making some flexy bookshelves, a flexy nightstand, maybe even a flexy desk if I'm feeling ambitious.
    I also plan to make a flexy flexy, a separate flexy TV stand on industrial casters (needs to be moved between 2 rooms fairly often), and flexy speaker stands for my rear surrounds. I'm also considering making a flexy TV garage so I don't have to unplug and move the center speaker with the TV.
    Yes, you may call me ambitious. I like to say I'm motivated. Who knows what will materialize.
    The flexy design appeals to me for many reasons: price, modularity, price, looks (I'm a fan of the simple industrial aesthetic), price, simplicity, the ease of breaking down and setting up again, and price.
    Now for the questions:
    Stainless steel vs. zinc-plated steel: what benefits does stainless provide?
    Shelving material: has anyone tried laminated pine? Will it hold up as well as MDF? Also, can MDF edges be rounded with a router?
    Weight: How well would a 6' high bookshelf hold up? How long could the shelves be before they started buckling? Would a center post help curtail that?
    Drawers: anyone tried making drawers for a flexy?
    Cutting all-thread: what must be done to ensure that the thread is still usable?
    Well, I thank you for making your way through my long and rambly inaugural HTF post. I'm glad to be here. From what I've seen this is one of the most informative and well-behaved communities of it's type. I hope to single-handedly undo all of that hard work. (Just kidding. I swear.)

2. GarySI

GarySI Stunt Coordinator

I built a Flexi unit for my A/V equipment.tnt-audio.com is a good site for the plans. Nickel plated or stainless are both good, though stainless is better if you live in a humid area. You can have the threaded rods cut at your building supply store, then it won't mess up the threads. The only thing I had a little trouble finding in my area were the neoprene washers in the right size. Hope you have fun but I think you are getting carried away, everything flexi will look a bit boring don't you think.

3. Mark Larson

Mark Larson Supporting Actor

I'm not sure how much weight it can withstand, but i'm sure you have a good idea. It is very easy to modify a flexy's looks, and use it for different things.
    Don't use it for your desk - you don't want it swaying, trust me! [​IMG] The sturdier the better.

4. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

5. ken thompson

ken thompson Second Unit

Has anyone tried using the threaded rod and other hardware that is made out of brass. I think it would look much better. Just wondering if it would be strong enough.

6. Colin-H

Colin-H Second Unit

David:

What are the shelves made of? They're very nice. Also, how are the thicker shelves constructed?

7. Ches Campbell

Ches Campbell Stunt Coordinator

Here is one of the nicest flexy racks I have ever seen. Click on the Flexy Table+ picture. I am tlaking about the second one on the page. The first on is nice too.
    http://home.hetnet.nl/~geenius/index.html

8. TomMadden

TomMadden Agent

Just out of curiosity, where are you all getting the threaded rods for these things? I've tried the local hardware stores and Home Depot around here, but the best I could come up with in the 3/4" variety was 3 feet. I've seen 1/2" in the 6 foot length, but I don't think that would create a rack that's sturdy enough. Are there any decent sources for these rods in the SF Bay Area? Ideally, I would like either 10 foot or 5 foot lengths, although 6 would be okay, too. Thanks!

9. Steve Peterson

Steve Peterson Stunt Coordinator

Flexy desk.
    [​IMG]
    It does "wiggle" a little bit, but no where near what you'd think (maybe a 1/2" total and you have to really be trying to make it move). You most definately want the wood at the bottom to help hold it together.
    Steve "I had a 3 sided U shaped flexy desk at one time, but its no more." Peterson

10. jeff peterson

jeff peterson Supporting Actor

McMaster Carr
    I got all my flexy hardware here, including the neoprene washers and rods. The "thicker" MDF is just 2 sheets sandwiched together.
    When I cut my allthread (zinc-plated version), I just used a hacksaw. Once it was cut, I threaded a nut back and forth over the cut end a few times to clean it up. Worked fine.