Post your pictures and tips/advice on building flexy tv stands

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by ChaseHanna, Jul 9, 2003.

1. ChaseHanna

ChaseHanna Stunt Coordinator

I'm planing on building a flexy tv stand to hold my 27" TV, reciever, dvd, xbox, vcr, etc and was wondering if anyone could offer any tips or advice? If you guys have any pictures of your stands, please post them.

Thanks for the help,
    Chase

2. JeffTodd

JeffTodd Stunt Coordinator

Chase,

Here is a pic of the flexy I did that holds my TV and gear. It's 4' wide and 18" deep.
    If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Flexy Rack

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Studio Mogul

4. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

it could hold a small tv no sweat, but it wasn't designed for it

its in the sig baby

5. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

The link below will take you to pics of the flexy stand I built for my 32" TV and the flexy stand that now goes around my 47" RPTV that replaced it. I hadn't finished the riser for the RPTV when I took the pics hence the ackward space between the top of the TV and the shelf above it.

http://photos.yahoo.com/ryan_schnacke/

My stand for the 32" TV is about 42" wide x 20" deep x 25" high. 5/8" all-thread rods. Holes are 1" from the edge of the wood (the edge of the holes, not the center of the holes). This allows 19" between rods which is just enough to slip in a standard width component from the front or the back.

The following web page is VERY useful for determining whether or not you have enough support for your shelf spans when using MDF. I used 3/4" birch veneered ply and I would imagine that it is at least as strong, probably stronger than 3/4" MDF.

http://www.pbmdf.com/buyerguide/TBShelving3.htm

When you drill the holes you may want them just a little bigger than the rods. It can sometimes take a bit of effort to slide the wood over multiple rods at once. This is especially true when you've got six or eight rods. I drilled them with a 5/8 bit and then used a Dremel tool with a sanding bit to widen them just a little. Worked great.

If you attach castors to the bottom try to keep them as close to the all-thread rods as possible. The weight gets transferred from the rods to the wheels and you don't want it to have to be transferred a large distance horizontally to get to the wheels or the wood will start to bend.

6. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    My advice is to get a C clamp that is big enough to hold all of your shelves together at once and get a drill bit that's long enough where you can drill all of the holes at once. My family room flexy has seven shelves and six rods, but just two of the rods go from top to bottom. The other four just go as high as the television. When drilling the holes for the two rods that go from top to bottom all seven boards were clamped together and I just had to drill two holes, that way I was 100% sure that they would line up. The remaining four rods went thru five boards so I clamped and drilled just five times for those.

7. naruto0822

naruto0822 Auditioning

Maybe this TV stand will get you an idea. It's lower part was made wider.
    [​IMG]