What's new

Event Horizon and Paul Anderson (1 Viewer)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
While I love the film, Event Horizon (say what you will. This is not an Academy Award Winner. Some Lame Dialogue, ect.) I looked up Paul Andersons filmography (not to be mistaken with P.T. Anderson) and found out that he directed, Mortal Kombat (Yes, a lame movie, but strangely fun), Soldier (a very bad movie), and Shopping (I haven't seen or heard of, but looks/sounds lame).
My point, while I love Event Horizon none of his small amount of films are really any good. And Event Horizon was a great movie either.
Does he have any other movies out?
Why is he a bad director?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I, for one, absolutely LOVED both Event Horizon AND Soldier! And while it's not a masterpiece, I think Mortal Kombat is great fun to watch. I'd like to see more of Mr. Anderson's work.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Carl,

I agree with you (at least on Event Horizon) and would like to see what Paul Anderson could do with more Sci-Fi works. I think he did a great job presenting a horror/sci-fi setting in Event Horizon.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I too loved Event Horizon (as you can tell by my signature)& Soldier. I liked Mortal Kombat too, but not as much.

Rob T

Screenwriter
I, for one, absolutely LOVED both Event Horizon AND Soldier! And while it's not a masterpiece, I think Mortal Kombat is great fun to watch. I'd like to see more of Mr. Anderson's work.
Me too. I think he's made quite a few good movies. :)

Mark H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark Hyland
Yes he certainly is the director of RESIDENT EVIL. I too enjoyed Event Horizon - great set design and the movie had me moving non-stop in my seat.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
He is also directing the upcoming "Mortal Kombat 3" due May 7th 2003

Anthony_D

Stunt Coordinator
are you serious??? Mortal Kombat 3?!?! that would kick ass. I loved both Mortal Kombat movies.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't call Paul Anderson a BAD director. It just seems that he's more interested in visual thrills than anything resmbling a sensible story. While I'm also a big fan of Event Horizon, there's nothing else in Anderson's body of work that's been all that impressive.
I am, however, eagerly anticipating his Resident Evil!! It's scheduled for an April 5th release and it stars Milla Jovovich and Michelle Rodriguez. Movie-music fans take note: The composer here is Clint Mansell, the musician behind Pi and Requiem for a Dream!
More info on this potentially cool flick can be found here.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I personally think he his a great director.
Mortal Kombat: Come on guys, this is the best video game to movie yet, while not saying much, it was a good show.
Event Horizon: Looked awesome, pacing was totally non stop, better than most summer blockbusters.
Soldier: Failed at being the next Terminator movie but still looked great and some nice connections to the Blade Runner World.
Resident Evil: Probably one of the few videos that actaully demanded a movie cause of it's cinematic look, looks good and will definitely makes it money back and then some.
Mortal Kombat 3: Now on this, I know for a fact that all the actors signed a 3 movie deal so they were forced to this, I'm thinking either they want to make a good movie and great Anderson back, or Anderson is there cause of contract reasons.
He is very talented and I look forward to more of his work.
BTW, look for a Event Horizon SE next year :)

Brad_W

Screenwriter
Yes he certainly is the director of RESIDENT EVIL
The only problem I have with this is that George Romero was originally going to direct the new Resident Evil movie. Then there was a TON of script changes and now it barely has anything to do with the game. I'll still see it though... I love resident evil.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
After all those script changes Paul Anderson a totally new story. That's one of the reasons behind the new story. As for George's script, I found it to be lacking and way to comedic. I personally think he lost his touch a while ago. Day of the Dead sure didn't have the magic of the others.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Anderson simply needs to pick better scripts.

The reason Event Horizon works so much better is that a horror film can play off of mood and visuals much better than other films and still be good. You can feel the fear just by the mood, therefore the film succeeds.

Video game films are almost always trouble (because they just don't know how to make a film narrative out of the concepts).

Straight Sci-Fi is very demanding of the script and it's hard to hide behind technique if there is no script.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
I really enjoyed Event Horizon. Most people who didn't seemed to object more to it being a Hellraiser rip-off (I've never seen that movie so couldn't comment).
On the other hand Mortal Kombat ranks as possibly the worst movie I've ever seen, maybe only beaten by Repossessed.
As for computer game conversions. Tomb Raider is the best I've seen. That's still not saying anything...at all!:angry:

Brad_W

Screenwriter
a Hellraiser rip-off
Being a huge fan of the Hellraiser series, I wouldn't say that Event Horizon was a Hellrasier rip-off so much as it had Hellraiser over tones to it. The feeling or mood of the film was like something out of a Hellraiser film, but I definately would not say rip-off.

And as you state, you haven't seen Hellraiser so you can't comment, but do you think it's a Hellraiser rip-off because of what other people have said or told you? Just curious.

If I had to describe Event horizon to someone in one sentence I would say: Event Horizon is like someone opening Le Merchant's Box in the movie, Aliens.

TheoGB

Screenwriter
do you think it's a Hellraiser rip-off because of what other people have said or told you?
I wouldn't dream to make any assumption whatsoever. Like I said, I enjoyed the movie. This was merely the sort of comment I got from detractors - that they'd seen it all before. I don't know if this is just my mates of a generally held view, hence I made mention of it.
Also because I wonder if a lot of people have had a go at Event Horizon because it's not very original, as if this in itself is important to a good film. Personally, I don't think so.
It had top-class actors and a damn good script - kept me enthused. Of course I like Pitch Black for similar reasons and that was yet another unoriginal sci-fi.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks