What's new

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
I saw Event Horizon in the theaters back in 1997. I still have vivid memories of the experience. It was a packed theater on opening weekend, so I was surprised the film didn’t earn that much money over its theatrical run. Fortunately, the home market proved to be successful for this film and it’s gathered more fans over the years. Paramount’s handsome Steelbook release on UHD of the film looks good but could have sounded better. A little more love and this could have been a stellar release. Still, if you’re a fan of the film, this is a fine way to watch the film. Fingers crossed all the cut footage that make up the fabled Extended Edition show up in an archive or a car boot one day so Paramount and Director Paul W.S. Anderson can give us a truly ultimate edition of this film.

Event Horizon (1997)

Released: 15 Aug 1997
Rated: R
Runtime: 96 min

Director: Paul W.S. Anderson...

Continue reading...

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thanks for the review, Neil! Too bad about the audio, but I suppose things could have been worse. Looking forward to picking this up.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Thanks for the review. Kind of a disappointing week for me as far as new 4K releases go. First, HEAT getting slammed by reviews saying it looks too dark (a common personal complaint with regards to UHDs) and now Event Horizon. Now, don't get me wrong, your review wasn't negative in the slightest, but it didn't sell me on the double dip. I'm quite happy with the current Shout Factory Blu-ray; I'm just not convinced there's enough of an uptick in PQ to buy this title yet again, especially so soon after the last purchase. Perhaps down the line if there's a sale on it, I may grab a copy but I'm not waiting in line at Best Buy for this one.

By the way, the possibility of an Extended Cut being created has already been shot own. The footage apparently only exists in tape form and it's never been clarified who, exactly, would be in possession of it.

Blu_rayfan66

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Hugh S.
Thanks for the review. Kind of a disappointing week for me as far as new 4K releases go. First, HEAT getting slammed by reviews saying it looks too dark (a common personal complaint with regards to UHDs) and now Event Horizon. Now, don't get me wrong, your review wasn't negative in the slightest, but it didn't sell me on the double dip. I'm quite happy with the current Shout Factory Blu-ray; I'm just not convinced there's enough of an uptick in PQ to buy this title yet again, especially so soon after the last purchase. Perhaps down the line if there's a sale on it, I may grab a copy but I'm not waiting in line at Best Buy for this one.

By the way, the possibility of an Extended Cut being created has already been shot own. The footage apparently only exists in tape form and it's never been clarified who, exactly, would be in possession of it.
Check out the review for this UHD over at DVDBeaver...much more negative- especially re video quality.

James.G

Grip
Was anyone able to actually find this release? None of the physical stores have it and every online store was sold out on release day. Prices after market are already triple retail.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
Mine arrived day before yesterday. Watched it last night. Video looked great. Did not perceive any audio problems. Definitely an upgrade over previous releases.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Was anyone able to actually find this release? None of the physical stores have it and every online store was sold out on release day. Prices after market are already triple retail.
The steelbook is mostly sold out already.

CC95

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott
"On 4K disc, Event Horizon is a bit of step up over the stream"
there is never gonna be a case where a stream is better than a disc. (Streaming bitrates and audio are always terrible.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks