What's new

Did my dd. need Speaker advice/opinions for first system. (1 Viewer)

Clarence2society

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry barbieri
Okay bear with me I will try to explain this is clearly as I can there is a lot to write so I may miss a few things along the way.
So I've been doing DD for the past month and as far as AV units I've decided on the Denon x4400h. The price isn't too horrible I can get one for around a grand it's got the 125 watt 2 Channel at 8 homes 11 channels processed all those goodies plus three zones if I ever need it with my new house by next year. I've looked at Sony's and yamaha's but Denon seems to have more of everything I want plus 3-year warranty.
Now for the reason of this post. My Denon won't be worth anything without great speakers. I'm trying to keep my budget around 1500 for speakers if circumstances require I may go a little bit more. So here is what I'm looking at and I want to know people's thoughts on what they like and why and the sound quality of each of these speakers and possible setups that I'm going to list.

First I started shopping and came across SVS within a couple hours I almost decided on a PB 1000 double setup and the bookshelf system for 1000. After further reading and talking to SVS even though support said that speaker would be great for my mobile home I also read that it doesn't have a lot of punch and really doesn't live up to the hype now even with two of those that would put me at $1,000 for 2 Subs and although they offer the 45-day return I don't know if they really are going to be what I'm looking for. I've also considered SVS bookshelves in satellites for my surround speakers again there are other options for less or equal money that I think might be better than SVS.
I have also researched Hsu recently and I'm really leaning towards that. I can get a vtf-2 MK5 sub and their hb1 MK2 surrounds with their center speaker I think it's the hc1 MK2 I believe for about 1300. From the reviews I've read Hsu has great sound very neutral and carries a lot of depth and every review about that sub has been excellent. I could also get double of those subs for under $1,100 to two grand for speakers if I want to upgrade later. My problem is Hsu does not do free shipping and returns or a trial time period of any sort. And if I don't like them I'll have to pay to return them. My second thing I'm thinking with Hsu is that the hb1 mk2s are going to be a little big and boxy for rear surround speakers then should I want to mount them on the wall well they're not going to look too good and I'll need a stand most likely and they will look big and bulky. However the reviews of their speakers and their center speaker and their subwoofer all very very good reviews and they're not too bright or not fatiguing which would be very good for me. Aesthetically I'm not too sure about those rear speakers being the hb1 MK two.

Also in my research at one point I was leaning towards Polk Audio and I can't afford the LSI m unfortunately. I was leaning towards the RTI A3 from my front left and right and the CSI A6 for my Center. Now all three of these have good reviews and I would have to get a sub from Hsu or SVS or whoever you guys recommend. I also investigated the fxi A6 for the Rears which are triangular and would look really bad ass on the wall and they do have good reviews on the a 6S in the ffxii a 4S had even better reviews then the A6. So there's one for you there. I think Towers would be too much and I would like to use double Subs at some point instead of towers. What do you guys think?

So as of last night what I'm thinking maybe is I could get the Hsu 3.1 setup for my LCR and sub and either get SVS for the rear channel or Polk Audio for my rear channel and mount the fxi A6 or 4 model. I think that would look great but how would that sound?

I definitely need to add that I currently live in a mobile home which is a two-bedroom two-bath my living room and kitchen are somewhat open with a counter in between and my living room space is only about 13 by 13 Maybe so it is not very big. I am a professional DJ and work strip clubs so I'm not totally unfamiliar with sound and so on but this is my first home theater hence why I'm looking for the best I can get for my money. Also important is I'll be buying a real house within a year or so and who knows how big that living room will be I'm kind of going with maybe a 15 x 20 or 20 x 20 space possibly opens the kitchen. I'm just going by what I'm shopping for but who knows where that will end up so I'm also keeping the future in mind and buying the system now. I'd rather be overpowered in my small living room that's temporary than underpowered in my permanent house. So I'm looking for advice on these Polk Audio speakers all around and the SVS and the Hsu and the possibility of mixing and matching me is for my home theater.
I think I've covered most bases and you guys get the idea if not let me know.
It would be great to hear opinions of sound quality on the RTI A3 s and the fxi the Hsu and the SVS and gather a total consensus. It really sucks that I can't test out the Hsu in person or the SVS in person and I have no idea what store I could go to here in South Florida and see all these setups on this play and actually get a physical field for them because we all know that's the best way to really decide so I feel as if I'm going in blind although I have done much research and I'm not big on a Hertz in kilohertz and so on and what have you I know very minimal stuff about that. but I know I want a full range sub with lots of debts and lots of power I like to feel and hear my bass and be immersed in whatever it is I'm watching or listening to. speaking of which that's what I forgot to mention being a musical person there will be music used on his system as well which is a very important factor I would say the system will be probably 70% TV and movies and 30% musical use. thank you guys I know this was long but I tried to be as detailed as possible so you get an idea of what I'm thinking and why my head is about to explode from trying to decide which way to go. thank you in advance and I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say. this is my first post but now that I'm joining the home theater family I'm sure I will be around quite often

Clarence2society

Auditioning
Real Name
Jerry barbieri
I forgot to mention one thing as far as looks of speakers the Hsu or the ugliest of the bunch and very boxy I love the shape of the CSI 6 Center because it makes a in your face object a lot more bearable but in the end all I want performance and looks come second although it is somewhat important to make the room look good. Told you I'd forget some stuff

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
I have an HSU sub and it kicks you know what. SVS is incredible all a round so you do have to listen in the room it is in. Stay away from polk.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks