What's new

Desperate Housewives season 2 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I think the first quarter to half of last season was jam-packed with incident and event because they did not know how successful they would be. Once they became a big hit, it was like someone threw the brakes on. Hopefully they pick up the pace rather than dragging every mini-arc out for too many episodes.

Regards,

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
The Lonny Moon scenes were all around good, but would have been SOOOO much better if he'd thrown in an "INCONCEIVABLE!!!" or two.

"They accused me of embezzlement! INCONCEIVABLE!!!"

(Susan flees from his house) "INCONCEIVABLE!!!"

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I havent been all that impressed by this season either. It doesnt seem to have much direction, just a series of random scenes. The poker game helped but wasnt won over by the rest of the show and the plotlines given to each cast member. The only one I really liked was Lynette's but the others, ehhh, boring.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I think the first time I took note of Wallace Shawn was in the film My Dinner with Andre back in 1981. Great film.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I have -- sadly -- removed Desperate Housewives from my Tivo schedule. I was one of the show's biggest fans last season, but this season the show has been seriously unpleasant and in my opinion, unwatchable.

There has been much said about the four women not being together and that being the reason for viewer discontent. Nonsense. What's wrong is the show is no longer funny, witty, sardonic, or entertaining because every single storyline is so unbelievably mean-spirited. Mr. Cherry cited Gabriele's walk down the prison yard as a "funny" scene. I disagree. It was just tasteless and pathetic.

Every character is doing things that are so mean. I don't know how else to put it. They treat each other with contempt and unpleasantness. The Bree/Rex's mother scenes were painful, not enlightening about either character and not dramatic; Edie and Susan's husband is the height of meanness; Lynette and her various co-workers have relationships that are all too real and ugly; Gabrielle and Carlos' relationship is going nowhere and I can't understand what in the world she's thinking--she is definitely not the woman she was last season; the Alfre Woodard character plotline is scary and evil and again, very unpleasant. Even Mary Alice's narrations have lacked the irony and spunk of the first season.

I am wistful for the old Wisteria Lane.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator
I have -- sadly -- removed Desperate Housewives from my Tivo schedule. I was one of the show's biggest fans last season, but this season the show has been seriously unpleasant and in my opinion, unwatchable.

There has been much said about the four women not being together and that being the reason for viewer discontent. Nonsense. What's wrong is the show is no longer funny, witty, sardonic, or entertaining because every single storyline is so unbelievably mean-spirited. Mr. Cherry cited Gabriele's walk down the prison yard as a "funny" scene. I disagree. It was just tasteless and pathetic.

Every character is doing things that are so mean. I don't know how else to put it. They treat each other with contempt and unpleasantness. The Bree/Rex's mother scenes were painful, not enlightening about either character and not dramatic; Edie and Susan's husband is the height of meanness; Lynette and her various co-workers have relationships that are all too real and ugly; Gabrielle and Carlos' relationship is going nowhere and I can't understand what in the world she's thinking--she is definitely not the woman she was last season; the Alfre Woodard character plotline is scary and evil and again, very unpleasant. Even Mary Alice's narrations have lacked the irony and spunk of the first season.

Sylvia*ST

Stunt Coordinator

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
11/6/05

I'm getting less and less in tuned with this show. Nothing's really sustaining my attention with the meandering subplots (Bree and George, Susan and Mike), though Lynette's pragmatism angles seems to always find that bit of sunshine in dilemnas and impasses. At least with Paul back in the neighborhood, Wisteria Lane will be on high alert amongst the rumor mill. Gabby's subplot tries to straddle that dramedy line, but just never hits its mark completely for me.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
IMO, this was the strongest episode of the season so far. That said, it still pales in comparison to the more inspired moments from last year. Maybe in the end, like much of the day-to-day goings on in real suburbia, Wysteria Lane is just not that interesting a place to be...

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
I don't remember Susan being this big an idiot last year. Flighty, yes. But in small ways, and in matters that somehow made her goofiness seem endearing. Now she's just being stupid and thoughtless about important things that affect other people's lives and I just want to slap her. :) She's not cute and funny, she's sad and pathetic. Maybe somebody should bump her off. Then we could have a new narrator and some more interesting plots.

Regards,

Joe

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
At this point for me to say anything critical makes me feel like I'm harping. I'm still watching the show, but it's moved down on my priority list.

Ivan Lindenfeld

Second Unit
This script could have been the season opener, for the most part. It follows some of last years plot points and refers to them as well. I thought it was better than the rest of season 2 so far as well. Paul really adds some nice tension, the Lynette thread actually had some personal resonance.

Weak spot was Susan's mom. Where the hell did she come from? Why was Susan in her wedding dress. I agree with someone above Susan is acting like a moron.

George is just wrong. Not wrong in a playfully evil way, like say "The Cigarette Smoking Man" on the X-Files, but wrong as in who gives a shit? :)

He put roofies in her wine so he could prove how HUH he was? What was the point?

I do like the fact that Gabrielle really is a Black Widow. That's a pretty fun plot thread.

Not a lot to like, IMHO.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Earlier in the episode her mom suggested Susan wear the dress while she pin it since Susan wasn't very good at it. The final scene was too melodramatic for my taste. I like that kind of stuff if it's done right, but something about it was off. If we were suppposed to feel sympathy for Susan it didn't work. Judging by my reaction and the others who have posted she just came off as pathetic.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey

Yep. It's no longer fun and the characters arent very likable any more. Moe of Lynette dealing with her stock villian boss? What would have been funny is if they had stayed friends after she took her out drinking all those times afterwards. Now she is making fun of her in front of all her employees?? Sounds like an HR issue to me.
Susan, as someone mentioned is being written as stupid now not just flighty. I dont like her anymore. She is annoying.
Bree. Her whole storyline with killer Pharmacist guy is a bore.
Gabrielle is just a slut with nothing else to do. Adrian Pasdar's character would be a fool to fall for her.
No Alfre Woodard?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Reported from various sources...

Kennedy plays "Caleb," the prisoner in the Applewhite basement. The part will be recast. Kennedy's last appearance in the role will be this Sunday.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Yeah, I saw the thing on Page Kennedy on FARK. And what does it tell you about the show when the most interesting dramatic development of the season is something that takes place off-screen, in real life? :D

Joe

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Boy, the media outlets are really falling down on the job today. Here we are, about 9 hours in, and no one is reporting what exactly it is that Page Kennedy is supposedly to have done. Surely there is some mole ready to spill the juicy stuff. :frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks