Desperate Housewives season 2 ongoing thread

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Patrick Sun, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

FYI, season 2 premieres tonight on ABC 9 p.m. EDT.

My memory is fuzzy, but here goes:

Mike let Paul live, and it appears that Zach might be Mike's son (via Deirdre).

Zach's still a little psycho, IIRC, with his actions with Felicia.

Carlos is in prison.

Bree is a widow now that Rex died.

Lynette looks to be going back to work, and Tom will be Mr. Mom.

The Applewhites (newest neighbors) show up to spice up the mysterious backdrop of Wisteria Lane.

I forget if Susan is heartbroken over Mike, or did they get back together before the finale ended.

(Time corrected from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m.)

2. Eddy-C

Eddy-C Supporting Actor

I thought it was still on at 9.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Why do I get the idea that the Applewhites appear to be mother and son, but are probably lovers (un-related) pretending to be mom and son?

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Oops, I guess I was wrong about the familial link of the Applewhites, but they appear to have someone in the basement who's chained up, that seems strange, even for Wisteria Lane.

5. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I dunno. I thought this was a fairly weak opener, especially the first twenty or so minutes. Things picked up in the second half with Bree at the funeral,
    but I think the new Applewhites sub-plot that followed looks pretty tepid so far.

6. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

[​IMG] The episode wasn't on par with the best of S1, but it held it's own.

The Bree subplot was a laugh riot and Phyllis Van De Kamp is a crazy bitch! Every member of the VDK household had a great moment. I can't wait to see more of Bree vs. Phyllis. BTW, they couldn't get Steven Culp to play his own corpse? That dummy was very poorly made-up to look like him.

Edie & Carl is going to drive Susan nuts, but I think she could have handled the Mike/Zach thing a lot better. It was almost as if she was breaking up with him. It's not like there isn't any hope of salvaging Zach from his mental problems, but Susan seems to think of him as a total write-off.

Tom has his work cut out for him and I can see real problems down the road if Lynette continues to have to juggle her kids *and* hold down a job.

Gabrielle & Carlos bored me... why does she want to be back with him so badly? She's sort of looked on him as a meal ticket ever since she met him and Carlos said it best when he said "We're not very nice people, are we?"

7. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Right before he said that I thought, "Man, they were made for each other."

Just have to say that Lynnette (and the actress who plays her) is awesome.

The Applewhites may be mother and son, but there's definitely a weird dimension to their relationship. Maybe it's just the person they have chained up. I'm sure that creates a unique dynamic.

Also, it seems strange to me that the Mary Alice mystery is essentially solved. I'm not sure if the narration from her is appropriate anymore.

8. Steven Sims

Steven Sims Stunt Coordinator

They have to figure out a way to drag out the romance. It's too soon to have them move in together.

I thought it was an OK opener. Not nearly as good as the Lost opener though.

9. Rob T

Rob T Screenwriter

They seem to be suggesting that Mr. Applewhite is locked up in the basement

10. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

I don't know. She provides quite a bit of insight into her friends, though I noticed that her presence was cut back quite a bit in this episode. Just the opening & closing, IIRC. Maybe that's why the ep felt a little off. Who else could they get to do narration who also knows the rest of the characters so well? Rex? Martha Huber?

I forgot to mention earlier, but Teri Hatcher was fantastic in the morgue. When she started to figure out that Mike is Zach's father. You could just read what she was thinking from the way the emotions played across her face.

Also, the thought occured to me tha the Police might not care whether or not Mike wants to press charges when they find Zach after the way he beat the living crap out of Felicia Tillman. Depending on how severe her injuries are, he could be looking at a lengthy sentence.

11. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Well, I think it would be MORE unusual to have someone else doing it, but as I was watching the premiere I began to think, "Why is Mary Alice still hanging around?"

12. Mikel_Cooperman

Mikel_Cooperman Producer

Mikey
    Why is she still hanging around? Because she is watching over her friends. You want a new narrator every season?

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Sure, let Rex narrate this season since he is the newest dead person on the block. [​IMG]

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden Producer
    Reviewer

Kenneth McAlinden
    The producers brought Stephen Culp back for an hour of his time to make a life-mask of his face for the funeral scenes. The slightly waxy "off" look to his features reminds me of quite a few actual open-casket funerals I have attended.

Regards,

15. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

And yeah, I thought Rex looked appopriately embalmed.

16. Jonny P

Jonny P Supporting Actor

Alright...so I am watching this season like I watched last season.

How in the name of all that is holy was this show ever nominated in the "comedy" category.

I don't care if it is supposed to be a "farce" or not, the show is a DRAMA with comedic elements.

Anyhow...

17. David Rosen

David Rosen Agent

I think that it is important to have Mary Alice as there narrator for two reasons:

1) The point of the show is the fact that everyone has secrets and puts on facades to hide these secrets from the world. Mary Alice was seen by her neighbors as a perfect wife and mother, and her death helped ignite this realization within the other four main characters. By having Mary Alice remain the narrator after death she helps reveal these inner secrets to the general audience

2) The reason that I think that Mary Alice should stay narrator instead of any other dead character (Rex, Mrs Huber, etc) is what she says in last season's finale: She watches from about and cheers on her friends in their adventures. Mary Alice was a close friend to all four, where the other dead characters are not as evenly spread out. We learn about Mary Alice mainly through other characters and in doing so, it is like Mary Alice is telling a story to us, and we can trust the events as seen through her omniscient eyes. We are able to cheer for all four characters as we watch them overcome their personal obstacles

Then again, I am a sucker for some good narration. I feel like I am the only one who misses it in Everwood, and I think that if it changes here in Desperate Housewives, things just wouldn't be the same.

18. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Especially since Mary Alice is the one tied up in the Applewhite's basement!

Oops! Forgot to spoilerize this!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

19. Nathan Eddy

Nathan Eddy Second Unit

I'm not watching this show anymore. I find that I care less and less about the characters the more I learn about them. They're all a bunch of creeps. Especially Bree, letting her husband die. How are we supposed to feel any sympathy for someone like that?

And the guy in the basement thing: this show is just trying to be weird for the sake of it.

The only character I care about is Lynette. She kicks butt.

20. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

The show might just turn into "Desperate Gimps" if this Applewhite storyline goes "there".