What's new

Desperate Housewives season 2 ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Pretty much enjoyed the finale, but the best part was that the whole Applewhite sbuplot is finally over. Man, that was one of the worst subplots in the history of TV -- did the writers even map it out or was Marc Cherry so excited to work with Alfre Woodard that he just threw something together that faied on every level? I wouldn't mind if the producers removed the Applewhite stuff from the DVD release and inserted deleted scenes instead.

What particularly did not work was that they put all their eggs in the Applewhite basket for last year's cliffhanger, and when that didn't pan out, it dragged on the show for at least half of the season. It looks like they have a lot more stuff developing for next season including Zac (presumably) going after Susan's daughter with new found resources. And yes Patrick, I found the actress who portrayed Tom's baby-mama to be really shrill and unlikeable. I almost dread what they're going to do with her next year.

BTW, it was interesting to see that they were able to get Roger Bart as well as Rex and the gardener back for this ep. But then again, it's not like their careers have been on fire since they've left. I was almost expecting the return of Mrs. Huber -- I mean, what is she doing with herself these days?

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I liked the Applewhite story...as a 4-6 episode arc, tops. Kind of a blown opportunity on the part of the writers given the fact that they cast probably the best actress they will ever have on the show in the thankless part of Betty and gave her one note to play over and over again in a listless, overextended arc.

Hopefully the show will get the off-season overhaul it needs. When they were a new show and not sure if they would be on for more than a half season, they were at their best. Begining towards the end of the first season, they threw the brakes on the frantic story pace, almost as if they thought they were going to run out of plot.

Things improved over the second half of season 2, and there were enough seeds planted over the course of the finale to make for some fun stories for season three - provided they don't drag them out interminably. It's a good sign that they have connected Kyle McLachlan's character with Bree, Susan, and Mike. That could be a sign that they will finally have plotlines relevant to multiple main characters next year.

Regards,

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Oops. I rewrote that line a couple of times and forgot to take out the should. What I meant to type was "funny that they had brought back George Williams for the ep."

I couldn't agree more. Hopefully the producers are done with their single-thread approach and go back to multiple character involvment.

BTW, It was great seeing Julie White again (Nadine in Grace Under Fire). She's a great character actress who doesn't work enough. She was playing Orson's mental patient friend, who I'm sure we'll see more of next season.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

Also, the woman sitting on the couch talking to Bree was Melanie Chartoff. I'm sure she's done lots of work since, but I immediately think "Fridays!"

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Melanie was also George's girlfriend in the episode where he ate the eclair from the garbage. And who can forget Parker Lewis Can't Lose?

It's funny -- my wife grew up not watching a lot of TV (not like me) and we're 7 years apart in age, so I'm constantly naming guest stars in show and she has no idea who they are. Like Melanie Chartoff.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
Meh, was a ho hum episode. The Mike and Susan thing is just a bore, you knew something was going to happen.

Also how is the show keeping the title? There are now 3 main charactes out of 5 that do not have husbands and thus no longer housewives.

And how about that product placement. They zoomed in on the Nissan logo how many times?

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I think the fact that after the entire season has aired and this thread is only 7 pages long, speaks VOLUMES about how far this show has fallen in its sophomore year...

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
what a long series finale, oops, i meant season finale =). if they ended it now, it'd be good. they really should quite while they're ahead.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Given that none of ABC's new shows in 2005-2006 will stick around for next season, ABC can't afford to give up on DH for the ratings it still delivers for them.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Your point is well made, and I agree that no FALL 2005 series are sticking around, but didn't "What About Brian" somehow manage to land a spot on ABC's Fall 2006 schedule?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Eh, that was a "Let's keep JJ Abrams happy" move on ABC's part (What About Brian). Plus it only aired about 5 episodes, so the jury is still out on whether it'll last 2 months in the fall.

Getting back to Wisteria Lane, I will bet that Zach will be back to woo Susan's daughter, and the money will help in making some grand gestures, but in the end, money just amplifies the character faults. I could see Zach being mean enough to let Paul go with a public defendant lawyer.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
I just keep thinking of all the storylines that went totally nowhere.

Lynnette's husband gets fired because her boss can't get it on with his wife.. and what happens with that? She splits on a vacation to run from home, and work, which was demanding overtime of her just says "great! see you later!" ??

Bree's son.. still back-packing into nowhere?

The Applewhite's story made absolutely NO SENSE at all. Her mentally retarded son was crazed early in the season, attacking them in a kitchen to the point where they broken out a gun to contain him; had him in shackles. If he was just a "dumb oaf" who had never done such a thing before, then what was all that about?

The arson investigation on either house.. did the police just eat donuts and leave? Two acts of arson on the same street in a matter of months and nothing?

The pharmacist kills himself in a hotel room he & Bree checked into so she has to be on security camera somewhere and.. nothing happens? I assume someone found the body and no one asked the last person who saw him (Bree) any real questions, considering she was a chief suspect in her husbands death (which that storyline went nowhere either) ?

Tom & Lynnette were so wrapped up in their kids they hired a nanny.. and then.. who knows, they both went to work and the kids became latchkey children while the youngest one went to company day care?

Carlos gets an amazing early release, which people comment on.. once. And then no real reason why he got out so early? And he trades places with his gardener to serve his probation (a clear violation) the gardner gets killed pretending to be him.. and ??? That problem was all in the last episode.. wouldn't someone be interested to find out he was still alive and had violated his parole resulting in the death of someone?

Mike becomes the major suspect in killing a neighbor.. and then wham, who cares, that story drops out the window.. police stop investigating at all. And there was also no real investigation of the hit-and-run on Carlos' mother. This police squad has to be the most bumbling idiots imaginable.

And, what was the deal with wasted episodes on the cat fight with a nun?

This season was a total mess. I think people tuned in because they liked the first season. I gave up part way through but watched back all the eps I missed here recently and found the problems I saw earlier just got worse as the season went on.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Matt,
Bree's homeless son and Carlos violating his parole are late season threads that will likely be picked up in season three.

Caleb was capable of violence under extreme duress - after all he did knock the girl they all thought he killed unconcious with a stick. Being imprisoned in a basement is probably pretty stressful, too.

The numerous criminal investigations stopped being followed after the characters on the show were exonerated for one reason or another. Unlike almost every show on NBC and CBS, the police are secondary characters on this one. :)

There were some weak plots and inconsistencies to be sure, which was the problem with the season, but I would not describe most of those storylines as going "totally nowhere".

Regards,

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter

Actually, she played his girlfriend in the episode called "the Fire", where George knocks over her, the kids and an old lady to escape first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks