What's new

DD 6.1 and DTS 6.1 Matrixed channel? (1 Viewer)

Hello all,

I have a question about 6.1 sound. My understanding is that in DTS 6.1 the rear center channel is matrixed on a regular 5.1 receiver lacking the "ES" decoding so that you still get the effect its just not discrete. Is this correct? If so is the rear center in a DD EX also matrixed in if you lack the 6.1 decoder? I have a 5.1 DTS and DD receiver and was just curious if i was able to have the effect.

Thank you,

P.S. I also own T2 Ultimate Edition and Phantom Menace so if you know of any good scenes where the additional channel is really noticeable i would love to hear about it.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
DD-EX and DTS-EX contain a "matrixed" rear center, which means without ES processing, the info is simply sent to the Surround Right and Surround Left channels (since the rear center info is contained on these two channels anyway).

DTS-ES contains a "discrete" rear center- and as far as I know, the rear center info will be mixed into the Surround Left and Surround Right channels on DTS receivers without ES processing.

So, long story short- if you have a 5.1 receiver you aren't missing any info as it will be sent to your side surrounds- but you're not really getting the "effect" as you lack the 3rd rear channel.

-Vince

Felipe S

Stunt Coordinator
T2 @ the very beginning future war sequence there's some use of the back center channel.

SW ep II
the pod race sequence has a lot of rear center action

Chris Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
-
From what I understand, in Matrix sound formats, the rear center info is mixed in with both of the rears and then decoded Pro-Logic style.

However, with DTS-ES Discrete, it's not so simple. DTS uses a system where you have the core data, and then the extended data seperate. A DTS 5.1 receiver will simply access the core data and be done with it, however, a receiver capable of DTS-ES Discrete will tap into this extra data. The same thing with DTS 24/96. This maintains full compatability with older players, but I don't think you are getting the rear center info in any way shape or form since it's on a part of the DTS track that is simply not being accessed.

Also, I don't believe there is any such thing as "DTS-EX". DTS-ES Stands for DTS-Extended Surround... and That doesn't change simply either adds the word Matrix or Discrete to the end. Also, Matrix formats are commonly refered to as "5.1" and Discrete formats are commonly refered to as "6.1", even though they are both really 6.1 formats. They did the same thing with Pro-Logic never really calling it 4.0 and just calling it "Pro-Logic". You can see on the back of the Lord of the Rings DVD, T2 DVD, etc... that it says "Dolby Digital 5.1 EX" where as on DTS-ES Discrete DVD's it will usually say DTS-ES 6.1 or something like that.

Gladiator carries both a Dolby and a DTS track, and while it's DTS-ES "6.1" track is very popular, many people don't know that it's Dolby track is an EX track, simply because it is branded 5.1.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks