Which one should I use to decode DTS, DD, CD music?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Juan_T, Aug 23, 2004.

1. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

I only have a 5.1 speaker setup right now. How should I hook this up? I know that I have to use analog cabels for the SACD and the DVDA.. Now, for DVD movies etc? Which one is better for decoding? Should I just forget about the digital cable and just use the 6 Analog cables to the receiver?

my 2 components:

DENON AVR3802
    7.1 A/V Receiver with Dolby Digital, Dolby Pro Logic II & DTS ES Discrete 6.1 • Dolby Pro Logic II decoding with Cinema and Music Modes • DTS Extended Surround Discrete 6.1 decoding • DTS Extended Surround Matrix 6.1 decoding • DTS Neo:6 Cinema & Music Surround decoding • Dolby Digital decoding, including Matrix 6.1 decoding • DDSC-Digital featuring Analog Devices SHARC 32 bit floating point DSP processor • 7 Channels equal power amplifier section • 110 watts per channel (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz,

2. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

I guess its this:
    Analog Devices 24 bit, 96 kHz high resolution DACs on all eight channels • Real 24 bit, 96 kHz Digital Interface Receiver

Vs this:
    Built-in Dolby Digital, dts, DVD-Audio and discrete SACD decoders with 5.1 analog outputs • Burr-Brown 24-bit, 192-kHz DSD-1791 Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD • Full Digital Bass Management for DVD-Audio/Video, featuring Analog Devices Melody 32-bit processor; 80Hz crossover with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes; Adjustable delay time(0-15ms)and Channel Levels • Full Digital Bass Management for SACD; 80Hz crossover with 6/12dB slopes on all channels; Adjustable channel levels

What does "Audio DACs that decode PCM and DSD signals discretely with no down-conversion of DSD ", "with 12dB high and 24dB low pass slopes" and "6/12dB slopes on all channels" mean?
    and going back to my old question.. which one should I use to decode DTS etc? what exactly is PCM? is that the signal of normal Cds?

thanks [​IMG]

3. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Well, the DVD player has 192 khz DAC compared to the 96khz of the stereo.

4. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

So is the DAC what is used to decode de digital signal in DTS and DD? or is that only used for CD decoding? sorry I'm new at this stuff and confused. I realize it has a higher number...

5. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Juan, if you haven't read the HTF Primer and FAQ, you should. Use the link in my signature.

DAC=digital to analog converter. It's the chip that takes ones and zeros and converts them to a waveform suitable for amplifying and being fed to speakers. DACs are essential for any sound format delivered digitally, including DD, DTS and PCM. (PCM is indeed the format used for standard audio CDs, and it can also be used on DVDs, though it rarely is.)

In general, you should use the digital connection from your player and do the digital decoding in your receiver wherever possible. (As you already know, this isn't an option for DVDA and SACD.) Why? Because your receiver has more decoding options and offers more centralized and flexible control over the playback of the entire system.

M.

6. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

I'm sorta new as well, so I'm not sure if I'm 100% correct either, but I'd say go with the 2200's converting.

7. Michael Reuben

For SACD and DVDA, he has no choice. But for DVDs, that would mean giving up such useful items as ProLogic II, which, even with a 5.1 speaker setup, is well worth having.

M.

8. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

So that means that sonically, for normal CDs, I'm really not getting an improvement from my old crappy DVD player(50$) that the DENON is replacing!?

9. Blaine_M

Blaine_M Second Unit

Juan,

That would depend on how you are hooking it up. Did you hook up your old crappy CD player through analog cables? If so, you will sonically get an improvement I would think if you used the analog cables on the Denon.

10. Michael Reuben

Probably not, and probably not for DVD movies either. But I'll bet the video quality is a whole lot better.

M.

11. Brian L

Brian L Cinematographer

12. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

You do have now the ability to compare the analog outputs of the 2200 versus the digital output. You can hookup both to your receiver, put on some of your favourite music, and switch between the two to see which you prefer.

For movies though, the digital connection is by far the preferred choice for the reasons M. mentioned.

13. Juan_T

Juan_T Stunt Coordinator

Drew, thanks for the reply.. and I did get your email. [​IMG]

Question, What is a redbook cd? I'm a little confused.. [​IMG]

I did a quick search "WHAT IS REDBOOK" and I couldn't come up with any answers.. Is it another format? like DVD-A or SACD?

Grazie [​IMG]

14. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Redbook CD is simply regular CD. I don't remember why it's called redbook, but it's not a new format. (It may have to do with red lasers, I'm not sure).

15. EricRWem

EricRWem Screenwriter

Adrik
    Dumb question:

PCM vs. Bitstream?

16. Michael Reuben

In what context?

The "Redbook audio" standard for CDs is the basic standard developed by Philips and Sony in 1980 and used in music CDs to this day. It utilizes the PCM format, which is also used on laserdisc and can be used on DVDs.

M.