What's new

Cube Signature Series (1 Viewer)

Jeremy_Z

Agent
I just received this disc...do these Lion's Gate editions come with a booklet? If so, I didn't receive one. Thanks.

Matty P

Stunt Coordinator
I believe that Lion's Gate does not include inserts in their packaging...my Monster's Ball: SS, Frailty and Rules of Attraction all had nothing...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Just finished watching this for the first time.

I really liked this movie from begining to end.
The DVD sported a great 16x9 transfer.

next up for me is to tackel Cube 2

Travis_W

Supporting Actor
Has anyone here seen Cube 2 yet? Almost got it today and then I remembered it was direct-to-video. But if anyone here says it's good I'll give it a shot.

Matthew Chmiel

Senior HTF Member
Lions Gate will probably never include an insert. Sometimes, they might include a little packet featuring Lions Gate titles (as I got with Dead-Alive and Sol Goode), but that's about it other than including the disc inside the packaging.

:)

How does the new Cube DVD look?
It looks fantastic. A definite step-up from the previous non-anamorphic DVD by Trimark years ago. It also includes a nice Dolby Digital 5.1 track which is also a step-up from the 2.0 track on the old release too.

The DVD includes a brand new commentary from Vincenzo Natali, three deleted scenes, a bunch of storyboards/conceptual art, trailers (for Cube and Cube 2), and a new four minute interview with Nicole de Boer.

The new DVD does miss out on the following features the previous DVD had: the old commentary track (with director/co-writer Vincenzo Natali, co-writer Andre Bijelic, and actor David Hewlett) over both the film and the three deleted scenes. It also misses out on three bonus trailers (Slam, The Curve, and Carnival of Souls) and some additional set design sketches. Why they didn't include the old audio commentary track is beyond me, but this is a fine DVD release.

Nathan McMahan

Stunt Coordinator
Caught Hypercube Cube 2 on sci fi last week.
Rent first. You've been warned.
Remember the difference between Iron Monkey and Iron Monkey 2? Okay how 'bout the downhill slide from Beverly Hills Cop 2 to 3, or maybe Robocop 2 to 3. Or Universal Soldier to Universal Soldier: The Return.
Best to you, toss the three or four bucks for the rental first. You'll be glad you did.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Hypercube: I didn't mind too much wasting two hours watching this on Scifi.

I WOULD mind dropping dollars to buy this on DVD.

Look for Scifi to rerun it...

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Well, I watched my Cube 2 DVD last night, and I enjoyed it. True, it's not up to the first, but it's hardly Highlander 2. The hypercube concept was interesting, it was only let down by a couple of very weak performances. I don't regret buying the DVD.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
I watched Cube 2
and while it's not great, it still is interesting.

It seemed like Cube didn't have much of a meaning
but Cube 2 tried to make more of a point/meaning

it was only let down by a couple of very weak performances.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
John,

I don't think they did know they could get the necklace. They knew Alex Trask had gone into the Hypercube with it. They'd obviously sent other agents in to get it. The question is, did they put those agents in that particular hypercube, or previous ones (in which case was Alex Trask able to survive the collapse each time, perhaps with the help of the necklace item?)

As for the code, remember the dead guy they found? Probably one of the original designers who got thrown in after his job was done. He clearly had time to work through his formulae and work out the time the hypercube would collapse. He could only have worked that out if he knew the time the cube had been created.

The lawyer and the geek no doubt died from an unseen trap. Probably one that forced them to age extrememly rapidly.

And Cube^3 is certainly possible - the first two are pretty much self-contained and both are open-ended. Provided they can think of another cool mathematical puzzle, and some more deadly traps.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
It would be cool to see a Cube 3.
Do they really have to stay in 'cube' form?
Couldn't they do a Labyrinth type puzzle?

Also, I wasn't really satisifed with Cube 2's mathmatical puzzle, Like I was with the original cube's puzzle

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
What's the deal with this DVD is it out already? I went to BB and CC and a couple of other places and nobody had it. Only the original version. What is/was the release date?

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
Matthew,
But that last point of yours is irrelevant because you only found out that it's a lose-lose scenario right at the end. The agent didn't know she was going to die (take a look at the deleted scene). In addition, if an evil government agency put these people in the cube, they're bound to kill them if they manage to escape. My memory's fuzzy on the first film, but were the trapped people supposed to be connected to the cube project? If not then I suspect they'd let anyone who solved it go - after a memory wipe (or alternatively they could recruit them).

Glenn_Jn

Stunt Coordinator
JohnS

In my previous post I was refering to the new Cube:Signature Series DVD. Are you saying this HAS been released? If so how is it no stores seem to have it. CC didn't even know anything about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks