What's new

What is your 2023 Game of the year? (1 Viewer)

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So which do you guys think? I'm leaning toward Baldur's Gate 3.

Edit: There is one other that I should add that could be a contender: Lies of P.

Last edited:

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
The great/terrible thing this year is that there's a ton of amazing games but most of them are sequels or from existing IP. We got a new Final Fantasy, Zelda, Street Fighter, Tekken, Baldur's Gate, Resident Evil remake, Mario, Metroid Prime remake, Diablo, Dead Space remake, Armored Core...and more to come.

Metacritic has Baldur's Gate 3 and Zelda: TotK as the 2 highest rated games of the year, both at 96. I think Baldur's Gate is likely to be the GOTY. (https://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/score/metascore/year/all/filtered)

Personally, I have no idea what my GOTY is. I haven't played most of the new/big releases.

Steve Y

Supporting Actor
I've played most of the big releases this year (and not a few smaller ones). It's been a great year for games. "Game of the Year" isn't an objective designation for me, but the game(s) I've personally played (and thought about) the most.

Runner-up: I love Starfield, but I've only played it for four days. It's worth mentioning because I've been impressed by all of the addictive gameplay loops it introduces. It's a true time sink. Is it a "next gen" experience? Does it blow the doors wide open? Not really. It looks great, but at heart it's just a really good Bethesda game.

My personal Game of the Year is Final Fantasy XVI. Love the over-the-top action, the basic systems, the easy combat option, the story, the world, and characters. I was the target audience for this one. (I do hope people who prefer the more complex Square Enix RPGs get something like that next time.)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I'll let you know my fave of 2023 when I play one in 5 years at my rate lol

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Still too early to tell. I haven't played Sea of Stars yet, which I have a feeling might take it.
I've tried the demo. It is a decent game for the bit I played, but nothing I could call game of the year. The interesting thing of that game is that Garl's.story will be the most interesting to watch develop.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'll let you know my fave of 2023 when I play one in 5 years at my rate lol
Yeah. I bought a Switch and almost never use it. Nintendo almiost never drops the price of their games. I'm not paying 90 bucks for a seven year old game like Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

I almost picked up Tears of The Kingdom, but 100+ for it is beyond my limit for a game. I put it back on the shelf.

It's why I'm playing Elden Ring only now.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
I've tried the demo. It is a decent game for the bit I played, but nothing I could call game of the year. The interesting thing of that game is that Garl's.story will be the most interesting to watch develop.
About 7-8 hours into it and it is phenomenal to me. The combat system is so unique and fun for a turn based system, it really rewards you greatly for thinking ahead and planning a strategy, rather than just quickly clicking attack, attack, attack, over and over. Level design is superb, effortlessly weaving together overlapping paths through an area in an intuitive way. Variety is great, every area has been very distinct with unique puzzle types. Pixelart graphics are beautiful. Story is very engrossing and the music is on point too.

For anyone who is a fan of these 16-bit type action RPG's, this is one of the best I have played. And I can already see hints of a much larger quest bubbling up here, with certain things in the world that there's just no way to get to, meaning that it's going to open up greatly at some point.

SajanZayn

Auditioning
Real Name
SajanZayn
Baldur's Gate 3 is a strong choice, known for its immersive storytelling and deep RPG elements. However, don't overlook Lies of P, as it also has potential; weigh your preferences for narrative, gameplay, and setting to make the best decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks