What's new

Looking for a new 65" - 75" lower end TV I can make dumb (1 Viewer)

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I have an old (10 yr?) 55" Vizio HD in the living room. Want to now replace with 65 - 75 inch 4K.

Just got a 43" FireTV Omni series for the bedroom. Picture is fine for me, but there are some drawbacks. I had a dumb HD tv with firestick 4K into an Onkyo receiver with 5.1. I have got it set up using ARC and no more firestick and it is OK. Doesn't pass DTS to receiver is a drawback, but ok in the bedroom. Can use fire remote to control both receiver and tv.

For the LR, I have a Fire Cube 3rd gen into a receiver (Onkyo 676) along with several other devices (Blu-ray, game, etc) controlled by Harmony 700. I really want to keep that setup since the sound is better with the cube. Just want a TV that will accept the video. No ARC, etc. The bedroom fire TV boots into the main screen and I would have to change the input each time if I wanted to go that route. Want TV that is able to be IR controlled that allows me to do a macro to switch inputs to HDMI1, or at least remembers last input. I use a Harmony 700 remote to control everything, including the cube with an IR receiver.

TLDR: Want 65 - 75 4K with IR remote capability to use as display only without having to jump through hoops on powerup for input.
Budget is prob max $1000, eyes aren't that great and room surely isn't optimized enough to spend more for that space.

YANG

Screenwriter
to accommodate a 75” display as desktop installation, u'll need a space about 1.8meter wide to take a TV console of that wide-ness.

75” could be too big if ur sweetspot is eye to screen about 2.1m/7ft away, watching on 16:9 fully filled image programs. if ur sweetspot is much further, the discomfort will not be prominent, but rather makes u have bad impression on scope/letterbox ratio of 2.35~2.4:1 image.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
TLDR: Want 65 - 75 4K with IR remote capability to use as display only without having to jump through hoops on powerup for input.
Budget is prob max $1000, eyes aren't that great and room surely isn't optimized enough to spend more for that space.
isn’t that any TV? Don’t they all default to whatever last HDMI input was last used? That’s every TV I’ve had the past decade, including a 2020 Sony and a 2023 LG.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
isn’t that any TV? Don’t they all default to whatever last HDMI input was last used? That’s every TV I’ve had the past decade, including a 2020 Sony and a 2023 LG.
The FireTV Omni that I got for the bedroom wants to go to the home screen at startup. Was looking at HiSense U7K series and think that will default back to last HDMI, but trying to do some research before I bought something.

YANG

Screenwriter
not really all, but on some percentage of TVs, whenever u turn totally off, the default "go to" upon turning on will be tuner source, not other HDMI inputs or "google home screen" like my HiSense turns on everyday.
some TVs does let user set "default" source to specific source/HDMI inputs... but that had to be done in the initial setup. otherwise, for some makes/models in the market, when u put the set to sleep/standby, the next time when u turn on, the TV will goes to the source where u had previously left.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Does any major TV brand not go to last used input? Sony, LG, Samsung? I might not be surprised over an Amazon FireTV doing everything possible to get you to see its Amazon interface. But for manufacturers that historically cared about television?

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Does any major TV brand not go to last used input? Sony, LG, Samsung? I might not be surprised over an Amazon FireTV doing everything possible to get you to see its Amazon interface. But for manufacturers that historically cared about television?
The TCL Q8 that I bough about a month ago has an option in the settings for which input is selected at power on. You can either select last input (how I have it set), or to go to the Home screen. I do not remember which setting is the default. The Hisense U7K I bought back in October for our SC condo has a similar setup. Both use the Google TV operating system.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The problem I have with my LG is it only goes to last used HDMI. It won’t auto launch its Home Screen. So without an external device connected anymore, it shows no signal for ten minutes and then powers off.

YANG

Screenwriter
The problem I have with my LG... ...
u might probably need guidance from other members who own webOS TV.
Android and Google TVs reacts otherwise.
my Panasonic Android TV goes to either HomeScreen or Source Inputs after it awake from Sleep/Standby. straight to tuner when turn on from total off.
my HiSense Google TV can be set to go to either source or HomeScreen upon self awake thru "awake setting". total shutdown and re-on, goes to HomeScreen.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
u might probably need guidance from other members who own webOS TV.
Android and Google TVs reacts otherwise.
my Panasonic Android TV goes to either HomeScreen or Source Inputs after it awake from Sleep/Standby. straight to tuner when turn on from total off.
my HiSense Google TV can be set to go to either source or HomeScreen upon self awake thru "awake setting". total shutdown and re-on, goes to HomeScreen.
Sounds like the Hisense U7K or TCL Q8 may be what I want then. They can use an RF remote, correct? I need to keep it simple for my wife so I use a Harmony that powers on everything and sets inputs. Guess the main issue would be a power loss if it goes to the homescreen. With RF, I can probably program in a "go to HDMIx" on the remote screen so it would correct with one button.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Sounds like the Hisense U7K or TCL Q8 may be what I want then. They can use an RF remote, correct? I need to keep it simple for my wife so I use a Harmony that powers on everything and sets inputs. Guess the main issue would be a power loss if it goes to the homescreen. With RF, I can probably program in a "go to HDMIx" on the remote screen so it would correct with one button.
I use a Harmony 650 infrared remote with my TCL Q8 in the main home theater -- I am not sure it will work with a universal RF remote. I also have the display setup to always go to the last input used when it powers on. For our Hisense U7K, I have the same power on setting, but am not using a Harmony remote. I instead use a simple RCA universal IR remote to control that setup, as it's only the display, a Roku Ultra, and Polk soundbar.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
I use a Harmony 650 infrared remote with my TCL Q8 in the main home theater -- I am not sure it will work with a universal RF remote. I also have the display setup to always go to the last input used when it powers on. For our Hisense U7K, I have the same power on setting, but am not using a Harmony remote. I instead use a simple RCA universal IR remote to control that setup, as it's only the display, a Roku Ultra, and Polk soundbar.
Thank you for the info. Those are both the units I am considering and glad to hear they are controllable with rf remote. Sounds like I have my answers.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thank you for the info. Those are both the units I am considering and glad to hear they are controllable with rf remote. Sounds like I have my answers.
I think you might have terms confused. Almost nothing uses an RF (radio frequency) remote. AppleTVs and several Rokus are an exception. Virtually everything else uses IR (infrared) remotes, which is what the Harmonys are.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I think you might have terms confused. Almost nothing uses an RF (radio frequency) remote. AppleTVs and several Rokus are an exception. Virtually everything else uses IR (infrared) remotes, which is what the Harmonys are.
Some displays do include RF or Bluetooth remotes, but even those support IR (infrared) codes, as do Apple TV and Roku streaming devices. Same with the Harmony remote controls that used RF to communicate with a hub - - an IR blaster is used to convert RF to IR, as most home theater equipment only supports IR codes.

In any case, both my TCL Q8 and Hisense U7K can be controlled with IR remotes. I am using a Harmony 650 with the TCL, and a simple RCA universal remote with the Hisense. The native remotes that came with each are either RF or BT, though, as I had to pair the remote with the display during initial setup.

Dennis_H

Stunt Coordinator
Yep, I meant ir... Not sure why I typed rf. Brain fart. But both are IR controlled, so I can get by with harmony 700 and control everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks