DVD Packaging Woes!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John H Ross, May 19, 2003.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Ok, firstly let me say that the movie is paramount. Picture and sound quality exceed all other requirements...

But:

Am I the only one TOTALLY depressed about the state of DVD packaging? I'm referring to Amaray cases and the like. I opened a box up from Amazon on Saturday. It contained the Jack Ryan boxed set, K19 The Widowmaker, Cube (Signature Series) and Rio Lobo. They all looked in great, dandy condition.

Until I took off the shrinkwrap!

After spending 15 minutes(!) carefully removing the security stickers, etc, I put the discs on my DVD rack. After just 6 hours ALL of the front covers had rippled at the top and/or bottom, and the back covers had (invariably) creased slightly down the middle. Only Cube escaped with any dignity.

After 24 hours of ownership they looked like crap! In fact they looked like I'd spilt water all over them! My room is kept at a regular, warm-ish temperature and it's not damp at all, so what's the excuse?

Does anybody else suffer like this? Is there anything I can do about it?

John

PS The Cube Signature Series edition is magnificent!

2. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

I have some where the clear plastic on the cases wrinkle while I'm removing the shrink wrap. I also have some DVD paper covers that have lost some of the picture due to them being put in slightly wrong and have the security stickers stuck on them. That really aggrevates me when I take off the security stickers and lose some of the picture.

3. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

JOhn, is it humid where you live? That coudl do it.

4. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

5. Mark_Paul

Mark_Paul Agent

I have only ever seen the 'wrinkled look' on R1 discs, never on R2.

6. David Von Pein

David Von Pein Producer

7. Ricardo C

Ricardo C Producer

Most of my collection is comprised of R4 NTSC discs (usually manufactured in Brazil, though some are made in America), and have NEVER experienced any damage to the packaging. I guess the security sticker debacle is much worse than I though over there.

8. Dan Rudolph

Dan Rudolph Producer

My problem isn't so much wrinkling as tearing. Often, the cover will be sticking out from under the plastic. The security sticker is stuck to it. Thus, when I remove the sticker, I rip the cover. This seems to mostly happen with Fox discs.

9. Tony-B

Tony-B Producer

Next thing you know, the whole outside of the case will be one giant security sticker! [​IMG]

I can't stand removing all of these stickers and having my case look like total crap when I am done.

10. Ian Currie

Ian Currie Stunt Coordinator

Has anyone ever tried ironing out the wrinkles? Obviously the iron can't be too hot or it'll melt the plastic, but I'm wondering if it can be done at the right temperature...

11. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Screenwriter

I suspect ironing would make it worse. Heat is not a friend of plastic.

-Scott

12. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

John, are you 100% positive they were perfect when you first opened the box?

The reason I ask (and this is a wild theory) is you mention you got a bunch of stuff from Amazon. I usually buy my DVD's all at once from Amazon and get a large shipment every month. I notice they shrink wrap all of the DVD's together in the box to keep it from shifting around during shipping.

I wonder if this shrink wrap compresses the cases and when you open the box (i.e. remove the tight shrink wrap) and let the cases "Breath", maybe that's why they start to wrinkle?

Just a thought.