What's new

CRT or LCD? (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I have a non-HD WEGA right now, and I am getting a deal on a new WS HDTV (both Sony). The three in question are the HS510 or the XBR910 (both 34" WS) or the new 42" WS HD LCD (1080i, I forgot the model #). Now I also live on the third floor and getting that WEGA up there was a pain (no elevator), and I do not relish the thought of lugging another heavy CRT up there, so I am leaning toward the LCD. The problem is, I am a CRT guy, I prefer the image quality of a CRT vs the Plasmas or LCDs I've seen.

I've read up some on the LCD vs DLP, etc..., but your thoughts would be appreciated on all.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Have you seen the 42" LCD Wega?
It definately has the weight advantage, this is the lightest TV you could ever imagine. Also, in my opinion it looks better than most Plasma/TFT LCD displays I've seen.
The 42" Wega is an impressive set, but I don't know if I'd say it looks better than either of the 34" CRT's. I assume the order in price with your deal would be (from least expensive up) the HS510, then the LCD, then the XBR. I don't think I'd pay more for the CRT than the LCD... but between the HS510 and the LCD it would just come down to auditioning the set, deciding if you like it, and then weighing how much more you like the CRT against the weight, depth and smaller size issues.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Actually, they are in the order I listed - the 510 is the least expensive, and the 910 (34") and the spacing is about $300 between each. All do 1080i and have DVI, so there is no advantage there.

I have seen the two CRTs. PQ is about the same, but the XBR definitely has better contrast with the XBR tube, though I don't know that it warrants the extra $$$. I have not seen the LCD yet, but I have seen the recent 30" Sony LCDs and they looked quite decent, though not as good as CRT. Looks like I will have to go down and take a look at the LCD...

Which LCD WEGA are you referring to? I found the model number of the one I am talking about: KF42WE610

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
nevermind. I looked up that model finally, and it is LCD projection, which I am not interested in. It will be between one of the two CRTs.

Thanks.

Mike Boniferro

Second Unit
Oh I thought you realized that is was rear projo.
In that case, I'd go with the HS510... it is a great TV and looks absolutely stunning with HD!
Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks