What's new

Time to replace Pioneer SD-533HD5 RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Chris Biggs

Agent
Hello all. I have been off these forums for years after implementing a professionally calibrated Pioneer SD-533HD5 as the centerpiece of my home theater. I have held off about as long as I can to update to something thinner with a larger screen, higher resolution, and with the ability to connect current devices via HDMI without a HDMI to Component adapter/scaler.

There are so many choices out there between LCD, Q-LED, OLED, IWANTMYMTV, etc... I’m looking to get something that rivals the color reproduction of a CRT RPTV monitor. I am immediately drawn to OLED, but do I really need to spend that much for a comparable picture quality to a RPTV? I realize that 4K will add to the picture clarity from just 1080i, but I don’t want to get something that is washed out color-wise compared to what I have.

Does anyone have some recommendations for comparable color reproduction technologies to my existing Pioneer? Do I need to go with OLED, or is QLED enough? Or are both overkill? You can only tell so much from a showroom demo, and honestly, they all look great in the showroom to me.

Thanks,

Chris

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The fact is, there are virtually no current TVs with as poor color reproduction as an RPTV. I’m afraid that anything is Just about guaranteed to surpass it. Sorry. :P

Seriously, there’s no comparison. Anything from a mid level QLED on up will put your RPTV to shame.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
Any newer set will be sharper and brighter with no geometry or convergence issues, but they'll also have worse motion and banding and posterization issues.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Since your set was essentially a rear projector, have you thought of getting a projector? You would get theater like quality with any size picture your room can accommodate. The cost can be similar to an OLED.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Any OLED would surpass all of your old CRT quality parameters (ALL !). It would not even be close, this includes banding posterization, and motion processing.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OLED can't be beat for blacks and colour; however, if one doesn't want to spend the kind of coin that OLED goes for then QLED comes pretty close, especially newer models. Either type of TV destroys the old RPTVs in terms of colour and black level.

Front projection is also an option, but a person has to be prepared to spend a lot to get near the level of OLED. The big advantage of projection is screen size if a person has the room for it.

William Moore

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
William
If you like your Pioneer RPTV, why not try an upgrade (if you can find one) to a 60" Pioner plasma which has been well-cared-for. I purchased mine in 2009 and am still enjoying it in my home theatre. I don't plan on replacing it until it goes dark. It still has a great picture!

Chris Biggs

Agent
Thank you all for your responses. It is exciting to start the research process again to bring my display up to date. i appreciate all you have shared with me and I will now determine whether a QLED or OLED is the direction to go.

Chris Biggs

Agent
Since your set was essentially a rear projector, have you thought of getting a projector? You would get theater like quality with any size picture your room can accommodate. The cost can be similar to an OLED.
I have considered it, but don't have as much experience in projection versus a single display. Do you recommend a particular brand or type?

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I have considered it, but don't have as much experience in projection versus a single display. Do you recommend a particular brand or type?
Can't go wrong with Optima. Remember, projection is the only way to still get 3D in a new 4K product. My friend projects a 10ft picture on a white wall with no screen, and is happy with the results. Anything smaller would be even brighter.
Here is the Optima line...

Chris Biggs

Agent
Can't go wrong with Optima. Remember, projection is the only way to still get 3D in a new 4K product. My friend projects a 10ft picture on a white wall with no screen, and is happy with the results. Anything smaller would be even brighter.
Here is the Optima line...
Thanks! Gives me something new to consider.

Do you know if these DLP projectors suffer from the Rainbow Effect? I am susceptible to it unfortunately.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
I don't know since I'm not bothered by rainbow effects. If the light source is Laser or LED it should reduce chance of rainbows, and they last for a lifetime. You should find a way to audition a projector before you commit. For duplicating a theater experience there is no other way than projection.
The advantage of DLP it that the image is sharper without noticeable motion blur inherent with flat panels and non DLP projection. Most theaters go with DLP projectors for that reason. Barco is a high end company that supplies IMAX theaters with 3 Chip DLP projectors. 3 color chips eliminates the possibility of rainbow effects, but for a higher price.
I love 3D especially when it's done well. A great 3D transfer can still be more immersive than 4K. Sadly, projection is the only way you can have 4K and 3D on the same device in today's marketplace.

gralenk

Agent
Real Name
gralen young
Pretty much anything can out do a rear projection TV. I have a Panasonic plasma that come close to a OLED but not as bright and the OLED colors are way better. The blacks are deep but a OLED can almost out preform any TV out there. I love my plasma but I am going out today to get a OLED to add to my home theater. Check out Sony 80J or LG C1. They are under 2000. Both are not the flag ship but they are still very good

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks