What's new

Just installed my new Hisense 65U6G 65" TV (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I'm not too concerned about upscaling 480p content on this TV, it's just going in the bedroom and will be pretty much limited to streaming. Any DVDs would be ripped and streamed via Plex.

In any case I tried setting the Apple TV to output 480p and the TV and all of the picture size modes (direct/zoom/stretch/etc) all worked as expected, so maybe they've fixed that issue.

The biggest annoyance about the U6GR was having to activate Roku on it before even being able to use the TV at all, even to use the HDMI inputs.

Really?

I assume all Roku TVs are like that? I suppose most people buy them to actually use Roku but it shouldn't be required.
That's great that the 480p upscaled correctly with your Apple TV. Weird why their sample couldn't upscale correctly. Maybe the issue is with other video devices.

As far as inputs, yep, that's the Roku TV interface. I know a couple of guys who have Roku TVs and they said how all features of the TV go through the Roku Interface. They found it an annoyance as well. BUT that's the same with the Android interface. Inputs are in the Android settings menu although you can use the inputs button separately.

Greg.K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg K.
I don't mind having to use the Roku interface, it's actually quite a bit more user friendly than webOS on my LG OLED, IMO.

It's just that during setup I had to enter my Roku account's email address and activate the TV to go any further with the setup (I already did have a Roku account, since my previous bedroom TV had a Roku Express attached).

The TV wouldn't let me do anything else until I did so. Maybe if I hadn't connected it to the Internet it would have let me bypass that? Still not very cool.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I don't mind having to use the Roku interface, it's actually quite a bit more user friendly than webOS on my LG OLED, IMO.

It's just that during setup I had to enter my Roku account's email address and activate the TV to go any further with the setup (I already did have a Roku account, since my previous bedroom TV had a Roku Express attached).

The TV wouldn't let me do anything else until I did so. Maybe if I hadn't connected it to the Internet it would have let me bypass that? Still not very cool.
I don't remember if I absolutely had to, but I did log into my Android account on my TV to use it as well.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor

Not sure if this even matters to you, but one of the nice things of this Android Hisense, and I assume with the Roku Hisense, is that I can use 5.1 Dolby Digital Output through the Digital Optical Output and at the same time I use stereo through the TV speakers. A big deal when I use Dolby Digital and the wife uses only the TV speakers when I'm gone.

Our previous LG 55UM7300 with WEBOS could only be used with the digital Optical Output when using 5.1 Dolby Digital. When using the Digital Optical Output and the TV speakers at the same time, the Digital Optical Output would only play Stereo 2.0. A big deal as the wife did not want to learn or know how to switch audio in the television or how to use the Denon Audio Receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks