What's new

> 45" 4:3 1080p LCD Display TV: Will it Hit Most Global Markets? (1 Viewer)

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
BINGO??? Okay, it's not an OLED or even a 4K screen. But will a > 45" 1080p 4:3 display with HDMI input soon be available in a market near you?

But if you're fed up with having to crop and lose content from your 1:33: 1 movies and TV shows just to view them on your 16:9 display without vertical bars-or love your faithful CRT but not its puny 32" screen-this 4:3 display may be the best possible compromise.

https://www.lcdhome.live/product/digital-signage-45inch-square-screen-43-display-android-monitor/

But will it ever get an Rtings.com review?

What's the price?

And will it be available from a reputable source?

YANG

Screenwriter
i can only picture such panel development would be applied to kitchen devices like fridge fronts for intelligent control, or fixture onto door for monitoring of visitor's knocking on the door...

the only additional thing i forsee that benefits such development of 4:3 panel, is use as modular component to form a much bigger panel for commercial display or a 16:9(in 4x3 formation) display that could push visual resolution from the current highest of 8k to another level of 12k.
not to forget, with different sizes available... might inspire some DIY HOBBYIST to convert what ever CRT old junks they might find, to LCD display but still keeping the old body.

besides... to put in TV tuner into such device is not feasible not only to sales, to usage is not practical today as global public broadcasts had gone 16:9 for years.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I don’t quite understand the derision over this. Millions of people use 4X3 iPad screens to watch content all the time. And the resolution on the linked product is not 1080p, it’s 2160p, just without the full width of 4K.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
I don’t quite understand the derision over this. Millions of people use 4X3 iPad screens to watch content all the time. And the resolution on the linked product is not 1080p, it’s 2160p, just without the full width of 4K.

For years I've proposed this kind of product at numerous A/V forums, but have been met with at least 75% catcalls. And this was true even among those with large collections of vintage pre-1953 movies and pre-2000 TV shows. Do they actually prefer having to either zoom in to crop off content to remove the vertical black bars on their 16:9 TVs, or opt to sit close enough for the bars to overshoot their field of vision? Then again, perhaps most people are genuinely not bothered by it-even if they happen to watch lots of 1.33:1 content. I just know that I've long tried to ignore the bars on my 16:9 TV but failed at it, so I watch 1:33:1 content on my 32" Toshiba CRT TV. For me, I prefer no bars than having to see them along with the content on a much larger widescreen TV.

OTOH, if they and I did purchase such a 4:3 TV, we would likely have to create a separate "4:3 room" for viewing such content. So yes, people here could be compelled to push back at the suggestion of having to go through such "trouble". No trouble for me, of course.

Last edited:

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Exactly how is the panel depicted in the video 4:3? None of the panels shown are square. The panels look like 21:9 or greater and designed for use as vertical ad boards or, as mentioned, for use in fridge doors.

Edit: Never mind. The manufacturing video does not match the ad copy in the other link.

Last edited:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
So, we need displays in every format, so we never have to see black areas? Let’s see. 4:3, 1.85:1, 16:9, 1.66:1, 2.39:1, 2:1…. How many more? For the most part, watching media in the 21st century involves black bars. Or is it only vertical ones that are unacceptable?

YANG

Screenwriter
i would be happy to snag one with Vittorio Storaro’s UniVisum @ 2.1:1 such that the amount to black bands produced from the 2 major AR 1.85:1 and 2.35:1 can keep @ average of 18~20%.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
OTOH, if they and I did purchase such a 4:3 TV, we would likely have to create a separate "4:3 room" for viewing such content. So yes, people here could be compelled to push back at the suggestion of having to go through such "trouble". No trouble for me, of course.
I suppose that room would be equipped with a single monaural speaker, run through a tube amp.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For years I've proposed this kind of product at numerous A/V forums, but have been met with at least 75% catcalls.

Unfortunately, you're getting catcalls again. I think some people have an issue with your logic and what I have bolded and italicized. Not many people have enough room or discretionary funds for a 4:3 room just to watch such material. Hell, most people don't have room for an extensive physical media collection which is one of the reasons why streaming has grown so much.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
So, we need displays in every format, so we never have to see black areas? Let’s see. 4:3, 1.85:1, 16:9, 1.66:1, 2.39:1, 2:1…. How many more? For the most part, watching media in the 21st century involves black bars. Or is it only vertical ones that are unacceptable?
Hardly. Of course, it's lunacy to think that vertical and horizontal black bars can be completely eliminated. Instead, it's a matter of being able to minimize the size of the thickest vertical or horizontal bar, relative to the native aspect ratio of your TV's screen. For example, very wide aspect films like Sound of Music and 2001: Space Odyssey will still produce horizontal bars on our 16:9 TVs, but nowhere near as thick as when displayed on this AVlink 4:3 TV. Conversely, movies like
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gilda-Blu-ray/91898/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Blood-on-the-Moon-Blu-ray/266013/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Rancho-Notorious-Blu-ray/328673/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Cat-People-Blu-ray/155098/
https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Leave-Her-to-Heaven-Blu-ray/258990/

and vintage TVs shown on the AVlink will have way less thick vertical bars than on 16:9 TVs.

As for the other cinematic aspect ratios, our widescreen TV's native 16:9 = 1.77, is a good compromise for displaying 1.85:1 (the long time academy standard or otherwise common aspect) and the less used 1.66:1-the latter producing slightly thicker horizontal bars on 16:9 TVs, but thinner vertical bars on the 4:3 AVlink TV.

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
I suppose that room would be equipped with a single monaural speaker, run through a tube amp.
I've never had problems with monaural movie or TV soundtracks, at least not if that's how the thing was produced. But sound quality for me is everything-even more important than picture quality. Thus, as for playback hardware, for my "4:3" room, my 32" Toshiba CRT sits between a pair of large floor standing speakers with 15" woofers which I had built some years ago. They are driven by a modified First Watt F4 power amp, fed by a Bryston BDA-2 DAC. Sources are Pioneer LX500 and Oppo 95 BD players.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Public theaters once had fabric curtains hung near the screen, so they could be closed up to the limits of the particular film being shown. It was so cool and dramatic as the curtains parted while they played the MGM fanfare music. You could do this near a 16:9 screen and close them part way when watching 4:3 films.

YANG

Screenwriter
Public theaters once had fabric curtains hung near the screen, so they could be closed up to the limits of the particular film being shown. It was so cool and dramatic as the curtains parted while they played the MGM fanfare music...
should PHILIPS had integrated that as a kind of "mimicking gimmick"
4316f08b63924e7c8c4bafb200ebffc7

to make folks understand that 21:9 can serve as an alternate option, and peoples' angle of view should be judged by the picture height to determine the comfortable distance of their sitting spot where it gives them the idea how big is too big... 21:9 display would have been an alternate option rather than being taken place by the computing field of function to serve as productivity or gaming display.​

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Unfortunately, you're getting catcalls again. I think some people have an issue with your logic and what I have bolded and italicized. Not many people have enough room or discretionary funds for a 4:3 room just to watch such material. Hell, most people don't have room for an extensive physical media collection which is one of the reasons why streaming has grown so much.
I fully understand and appreciate this kind of criticism. Continued existence for all life on this planet will get more treacherous and expensive for all the reasons which the more informed, rational and fair minded of us are aware of, but can sadly do little about; too much time passed and too many stupid human tricks performed. Bill Maher youtubes do manage to make these tragedies laughable.

How much does the fault of our most serious woes lie with decades of what passed for "leadership" or the priorities and prejudices of most individuals, families and communities? Certainly, this is hardly the place to debate such questions-nor even the reasons for why where even below what has been called "high end home theater" has ever more seemed to become a rich person's pursuit.

But in the end, so much of what we make of our lives is a matter of personal choice, be it leaving a secure job vs.relocating far away for one offering better opportunities, getting married, being parents and of how many kids, earning a masters degree, learning new skills, staying fit and eating wisely, buying a house or a co-op, et al. Sure, life can and does also hit you with lots of good or bad luck. But careful prioritizing, planning, patience, reflection and hard work gets most of us where we want to mostly be. However, let's be clear about one thing: VERY few of us can have it all; prioritizing your goals and doing your utmost to avoid mistakes and wasted time is obviously essential.

And so, I have to go proceed on the assumption that at least many members at forums like this are long time cinephiles, and are also pretty much passionate about presenting the content they love in the most authentic looking and transparently sounding manner truly affordable. Obviously, of course, the choices you made yesterday will impact the number and quality of those you can make today. So, I see no apologize are in order for pushing the envelope with such proposals at venues like this, as I have elsewhere.

As for one's choice or ability or desire to collect and store physical media vs. streaming, obviously those who choose, or must of necessity, opt to go with streaming could at least be assured of having comparatively more space to install a ~ 45" TV and its audio hardware.

YANG

Screenwriter
This will replace humungous 32-36" CRT TVs with something lighter & with lower power consumption!
to be able to supply to the tablet manufacturing, i assume 2 sizes will be mass produced. 10" and 12" models. to yank out the 32inch CRT tube that wouldn't light up anymore, 9 pieces of 10inch panels will have to be bought and modularly joined up in 3x3 formation to form well... 30inch display for replacement?

cineescape

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
gregory
Public theaters once had fabric curtains hung near the screen, so they could be closed up to the limits of the particular film being shown. It was so cool and dramatic as the curtains parted while they played the MGM fanfare music. You could do this near a 16:9 screen and close them part way when watching 4:3 films.
My goodness, how many times elsewhere have I heard that thoughtful but incredibly CLUNKY solution? In any case, like a super thick TV bezel, wouldn't I be too much noticing the curtains, unless the room were pitch black dark? Nice try, though.

Indy Guy

Premium
Real Name
Tony Baxter
Projectors address this problem with or without masking. I happen to have a 2.35 optimized projector. Warner Archive 4x3 Technicolor marvels from the Golden Age look absolutely spectacular. The key is maintain constant vertical resolution regardless of variable aspect ratios. This assures maximize clarity for every aspect ration presented on the screen. Black areas are simply...not there!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks