What's new

CowBoy Bebop (1 Viewer)

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Thank you Jeff, my thoughts exactly. It will never be adequately resolved (i.e. no side will change their opinion), and it always degenerates into ridiculous elitist positioning by both sides.
And for those not in the know, in Jeff's world "CT"=Cowboy Bebop :)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I believe that what ever your preference is, you should go with. I guess this topic is more for the people looking to see how the dub will turn out. I found a link at Animeondvd in one of the forums, it's a petition for the same dub cast to used in the movie.
http://www.petitiononline.com/cbmp/petition.html
To each there own and hopefully we can all be happy with the final outcome.

JasonRH

Second Unit
Joe_C,
Thanks for answering the Trigun question that I had. That was the real issue I wanted to address in my post;)
Jeff Kleist,
Using live action movies compared to anime may be appropriate, I'm not sure, but I really wasn't trying to make a generalization. That's why I put the IMO in the post:) I'm on your side anyway, for the most part.
Oh well, I think both have merits, but like I said in my posts, I do agree that subs are the way to go almost all of the time - it's just that some dubs seem to do a good job and I like them.
Later.

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
Joe_C,
Just checked out digital hoard - good job, but, finish those reviews!!!!
Hey! It's only the three most recent reviews that are up in "lazy-ass" form right now :) I'll have the full-write ups for Ghost in the Shell, Evangelion, and the Kenshin: OVA soon enough.
Winter quarter is a bitch though. I barely have time to eat and sleep, let alone write amazingly profound anime reviews :)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Joe_C.
Just kidding around. I'll check back periodically to see when you have them done. Make sure you comment on the dub quality!!!;)

JasonRH

Second Unit
Joe,

Just read through your Trigun review. I believe I am convinced. I'm going to have to order the box set now. Nice review.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Me so happy. I got my R2 DVD of Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door in! Woo-hoo! I get to watch this baby in the comfort of my own home. :)

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Getting back to the subject at hand...

One of the arguments someone made on another forum as to a reason why Columbia/Tristar may not be able to use the actors from the TV series may be union rules.

Most dub jobs are non-union, so either they aren't SAG members, or it is SAG members working under an assumed name so that they won't get caught.

I'm sure Columbia/Tristar will need to use SAG actors on this, so the question would have to come up as to the status of these actors in the union.

As for my thoughts on the dub, I think it is quite good. I don't particularly like the voice of Jet in the dub. It just doesn't feel right...

Jason

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Most of the dub actors are SAG, just working under an assumed name. As far as I know, only ADV draws from local "talent" who may or may not be SAG members. The rest use professional studios.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
ADV has their own studio(several actually), Synch Point does as well. The rest rent studio time or hire companies like Coastal Carolina (AnimEigo, not enough studios use Coastal, they're great people) or Ocean (mostly Bandai).

Tony_P

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys, thanks for recommending this series! My wife and I have watched about half of it and we both really enjoy it.

We have been watching it with the OST and subs (my wife speaks Japanese, I do not) for the first go around. Just last night I decided to check out the dub and I was pleasantly surprised. The english voice actors are actually pretty good. I also noticed some subtle (and other not so subtle) differences between the subtitles and the dub in terms of language and wording. My general impression (admittedly limited since this was from watching about 15 min of Jupiter Jazz) was that some of the American voice actors had a slightly different "take" on their characters. Very interesting. I'll probably end up watching the entire series with both language tracks (another one of the many things I love about the DVD format.)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Tony, that's why with Columbia Tristar obtaining the rights to the region 1 release of the movie "Knockin' On Heaven's Door", everyone who's enjoyed the series in English (including me) are worried that CT will not use the original English voice cast for the dub.

An even bigger worry from my point of view is that they use top name Hollywood actors and actresses for the dubbing job. As good as they might be as live-action actors, this doesn't guarantee they'll do a decent job in the voice dubbing department.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well I though Princess Mononokoe had a pretty good dub and it was star filled. But Armitage could have used a lot of work., maybe the sequal will be better with Juliete Lewis.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Mononoke's dub, IMO, sucked horribly. The voice acting was good but they were the wrong voices. Its like casting Roseanne to do the voice of a cute little girl.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks