CowBoy Bebop

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chad Ferguson, Jan 26, 2002.

1. Chad Ferguson

Chad Ferguson Supporting Actor

Well, it's pretty much offical, Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heavens Door will be released by Columbia Tristar. Perhaps most of you knew this but I always though Bandai would let such a big release go past them. The trailer will be on the release of Metropolis. Now hopefully the other rumor isn't true that Columbia is casting for new dub voice actors for the film. I thought the Dub on Bebop is the best ever done. Anyone have anyother info on this?

2. Eric Alderson

Eric Alderson Stunt Coordinator

I would die if they got new actors. I love the English dubs of the series. Since Cartoon Network has ran most of the series, it would be smart to use the same voice actors people heard when they watched it on TV. I'm worried because movie studios are not that smart sometimes.

3. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

Rumors are flying about about the new dub actors. However, if Sony is treating Metropolis the same, they will most likely treat Cowboy Bebop the same...release it as Japanese with subtitles and include the English only on the DVD...which is the way they have been treating foreign films since "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon". So, we'll see.

4. Chad Ferguson

Why did Columbia pick up this title? I read at dvdfile that Columbia is going to start pumping out the Anime titles but what has made Columbia jump on the Anime bandwagon? I'm not complaining if a big studio jumps on, as long as they have knowledge in respect towards the community. I mean, the Dub better have the same actors! Perhaps a post in the studio feedback forum would help this out. Also, do we still have to wait for this to get a limited release in theaters or can we expect it soon on DVD?

Thank You

5. Derek Faber

Derek Faber Stunt Coordinator

Sony co-funded Cowboy Bebop Knockin on Heaven's Door, and they also own Columbia Tri-Star. That's why they have it. Plus anime companies do make some money over here, so whatever makes you more money. Animation is really starting to become more popular over here.

Sony first started with Street Fighter II, which was all hacked up.

6. Robert Drew

Robert Drew Auditioning

I hope Knockin' does well - I'd love to have some more Bebop around! Let's hope they do the disc right!

FYI: Fry's has the Bebop perfect collection on sale this weekend for $129.99 - a great deal if you haven't picked them up yet.

(And yeah, I know this isn't the discount forum - but more people will see it here...)

7. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    I hope that with Sony jumping on the Anime bandwagon, the out DTS on their releases, where available.

Of course, with only Knockin on Heaven's Door, and Metropolis (SF2 never happened man, that DVD is HORRIBLE), I wouldn't say they've exactly jumped onto the bandwagon just yet.

8. Joe_C

Joe_C Supporting Actor

I seriously doubt Sony/CTHV would be stupid enough to alienate Cowboy Bebop's dub fans by picking a new cast, especially when Bebop's dub is generally regarded as the best around. I mean, these companies do make unintelligent decisions every once in awhile, but with how rabid the anime community can be, I don't think Sony/CTHV would get away with it anyways. By the way, how reliable are all these "rumors" that are running rampant around here? I'll believe it when I see it officially announced.

9. Tony_P

Tony_P Stunt Coordinator

I just picked up the boxed set at the Fry's in Burbank today. They had about 10 sets still on the shelves. The sign did say that the sale price ends on 1/29 though.

I have never watched the show before so I am hoping that I didn't waste my money. I am a very casual anime fan but the great reviews for this series have me intrigued. It certainly sounds like the type of stuff I would enjoy watching.

10. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I own the boxset (thanks in part to Jeff Kleist) and have watched most of it. This is NOT a waste of money.

11. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Yeah, Morgan's right, this will NOT be a waste of money - you needn't worry about that.

12. Peter Ohlert

Peter Ohlert Extra

It's not time to panic about the english dub ... yet. Remember the recurring voice parts are the four major roles and two recurring roles from the series:

Spike

Faye

Jet

Ed

and the two hosts from 'Big Shot For Bounty Hunters' show.

The other two major roles: Vincent and Electra, and all the minor roles will have to be cast for english voices no matter what.

The important thing to find out now is:

1. Has Columbia/Tri-Star hired the same dubbing company that Bandai used? (Since my Bebop DVDs are out on loan I can't check, I think it's ZRO Limit, someone give me a hand here.) This would pretty much be a lock that the recurring english dub cast would remain.

2. If not, has C/TS hired the same recurring english voice actors?

Does anyone here have anyway to check with either the series dubbing compnay or C/TS? We should check this quickly, because if they have discared the TV dub cast we need to start a petition yesterday, and let them know that they will be alienating a large percentage of the people that made the TV DVDs so sucessful. It's one of (if not the) best english dubs, period.

13. James M

James M Stunt Coordinator

personally I dont really care what they do with the dub, as I will primarily be listening to the origanal Japenese track, so as long as they dont screw that up, Im happy.

14. Kong Chang

Kong Chang Screenwriter

I believe Bandai used "Ocean Studio" for the dub actors for Cowboy Bebop, and they used the optional "Word Fit" technology for the vocals to match the flaps of the mouth.
    Sony Japan owns the rights to Cowboy Bebop: KoHD movie and rather than letting Bandai USA have it (albeit Bandai Japan does co-own this movie), they offered it to Sony USA instead. This also occured with Metropolis the anime movie, which Sony Japan also owns and handed it over to Sony USA.
    I expect, Sony USA is taking the better part of anime-fandom more so than Disney is. They understand there is a market and probably asked (or begged or contracted) Sony Japan to hand them movies to start off with. Hopefully, Sony USA will deal more with anime since their thoroughput tends to be very well.
    One more thing, there was never a DTS with the movie. I've watched the movie and they have never listed a DTS track on the film print. In addition, the movie did terrible in Japan's market, mostly because of the timing...it was nationally released in Japan early September of 2001, and when 9-11 hit, the movie bombed afterwards, since the movie's theme deals with bio-terrorism.
    Since the theme does deal with bio-terrorism, Sony USA will most likely sit on this movie until the events of 9-11 calm down, and will most likely release it after that.

15. Jose Q

Jose Q Stunt Coordinator

TV series voice actors are a must. There is no choice or way around this.

16. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

If they don't use the TV actor dubs, I will still buy it. I just really hope they do use them.

17. Chad Ferguson

I would still buy it as well but I sure would be upset. Is Metropolis getting a dub? If so, I wouldn;t be surprised to see if they use the same company that did that.

18. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Why not just watch it in OSL and go home happy? The actors are much better, even if the dub cast did a tolerable job.

19. Chad Ferguson

This is one of the few Animes that I prefer the Dub. I think the job is way more than Tolerable. Also, it's the voice of the characters I have grown to love. I don't want to get into a whole dub is better, no sub is thing but If a good dub job is done, I will watch it over the Sub version. With things such as Trigun though, Subtitled no doubt.

20. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Some regard trigun as having a very good dub. Any opinions, since I haven't seen it yet but am thinking of buying it??