What's new

CowBoy Bebop (1 Viewer)

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well, the situation might be worse than originally thought. This affects us all. I read this on Aint it cool news and they do state that this could be rumor, but still, I can see it happening.
Hey guys.
I'm really sorry i'm bothering you. It's kinda of a important issue for anime and movie fans. As you know, Columbia TriStar has the rights for the Cowboy Bebop movie ("Knocking on Heaven's Door"). The movies is expected in limited theaters around August. For a while we knew that, and this matter was confirmed when the Metropolis DVD was announced with a Cowboy Bebop trailer in its extras section.
The problem is: according to rumors running around, the movie will be re-scored. Bebop is famous for its music, composed by award winning Yoko Kanno. It's only natural these rumors come as a shock to the fans. I'm writing to you because the anime comunity is pretty much overlooked by the "big" ones. They don't visit anime sites.
But they do visit Aintitcool.
Could you somehow post something bout these rumors so Columbia become aware of how scared the fans are about this rumor?
The rumor is mentioned on this site and several others... http://www.animeacademy.com/
Quote taken from Aint it cool news.
This I think we can all agree on is something that shoud not be changed!

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If they do rescore it, they should only do it for the English Dub, leave the Japanese one intact and I'll be happy.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
If this is true, they're shooting themselves in the foot. The movie has a great soundtrack, a la the series.
Oh, for those who usually walk off during the credits...DON'T!!! There is something right after the credits that is important (which ends almost like the series episode ending).
Anyhoo, we'll see what becomes of the dubbing. I for one won't watch it in theaters because I already own the R2 DVD (and our club is showcasing it subbed) unless they treat it like Metropolis the anime movie currently.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Given the past record with Columbia, I'm going to say it's just a rumor. I'm about to talk to their theatrical division about some print rentals, so I'll see what I can dig up.

If they do rescore it, I bet it'll be for the dub only

Joe_C

Supporting Actor
But why would they rescore it? Save some unknown (to me) legal barriers, I see no logic whatsoever in this...even more so than with the possible redub!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well the more research I do the more I think the rumor is untrue. Something though, is always in the back of my mind saying, they could make this more "American" if they add new artists or something. Kind of like Street Figher. But I think most people here have point, look at what they are doing with Metropolis.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
according to rumors running around, the movie will be re-scored. Bebop is famous for its music, composed by award winning Yoko Kanno.
As long as the original soundtrack/language track is kept intact, they can do whatever the heck they want with the new music track. I just won't listen to it. :D
Could you imagine? "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door.. with music from Korn, Slipknot, and Creed!"
No offense to any fans of their music, I just don't feel it would be appropriate for Bebop.
Joseph

Derek Faber

Stunt Coordinator
How about using Bob Dylan's Knocking on Heaven's door?

Kanno should have made a new version of this seeing as the title is coming from this song.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Could you imagine? "Cowboy Bebop: Knockin on Heaven's Door.. with music from Korn, Slipknot, and Creed!"
Speaking of which, did Tekken have all those American bands do the music originally for the Japanese version or did ADV redo the soundtrack?

I didn't know the title was based on a Bob Dylan song...maybe the same goes for that episode of Evangelion.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Kind of like Street Figher. But I think most people here have point, look at what they are doing with Metropolis.
Many of the bands on the Street Fighter (anime) soundtrack are big names in Japan. And Japan is a HUGE music market, you can get just as rich being popular there as you can here. They would have had to pay big bucks for those songs by artists that no one in the US had ever heard of. and that's supposedly why they didn't do it. It's the same reason why the Street Fighter 2 V discs have the opening replaced by that lame montage. They would have had to pay Aska big bucks to use the song on the dub, and since the 2 songs have 2 different tempos, they went for the dub opening exclusively. Chage & Aska did the end-credits song for the US Street Fighter live action film, great song, too bad it was buried with THAT.

(That, and they wished to promote their own Sony label bands, and had no respect for OSL. Guess I'll stay happy with my anamorphic Japanese DVD)

I'm pretty sure the Seatbelts are a US group anyway. I know they recently played a gig in New York, but like BoA(who we've had as a guest at Otakon as well as Yoko Kanno), they have achieved fame in Japan through anime.

Kong Chang

Screenwriter
Japan music industry is the 2nd biggest behind U.S.A.. So, Japan has so many bands, come from all over the place, and even their own groups too. If the bands make albums exclusively for Japan, then that music falls under JASRAC rights, and JASRAC usually charges a lot more than RIAA or the other company.

Anyhoo, let's hope something comes out of this. We shall see when the time comes.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
personally, that makes me really happy. since the only experience i have is with the series from tcn, it's the voices i most identify with. i know it would have thrown me if i'd heard someone else doing the voices.
woo-hoo!
btw - the article mentions that the show is fading in popularity in japan? i guess we're "behind the curve"? ...well besides kong, jeff, etc... :)

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
The timing is about right for the movie to premiere during the Montreal Fant-Asia Film Festival next July. Most likely the dub will be completed by that time. Only then will we find out if Columbia respected the wishes of the fans or not. That all depends if the dub is presented at all during the festival. Normally, the movies only include English subtitles, but it would be nice if Heaven's Door had showings for both versions.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
I'm doubting Bebop is getting a theatrical run, there are already OSL prints that are properly subtitled in existence. I will know for sure in a few weeks.

Eric Alderson

Stunt Coordinator
YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES, YES....

This is good news. Good news indeed!!!

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
I personally would prefer that it would go straight to DVd instead of waiting longer while It has a short run in NY, LA. Bring on the DVD, perhaps even DTS?

Cary T

Screenwriter
Don't care whatever they do to the english dub. Any anime purist always watches in jap dub with eng. subtitles. I listen to the english dub to only laugh at how ridiculous the dubbing is.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
That's what I was saying, I'm pretty sure it's direct-to-video because of the nature of the storyline.

The 2 major anime cons, Otakon and Anime Expo should both be showing the OSL/subtitled prints in 35mm this summer.

Since they're just starting the dubbing process, I don't expect it before late summer on video, and there is no DTS mix done for the film, so don't look for one on the DVD

Listen to the Japanese voices. The US dub is tolerable, but they have some of the best talent in Japan doing the voices on the show, and you'll see the superior characterization. Spike's character is very different in the dub.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks