What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Jonathan Perregaux said:
Speaking of Steven Spielberg, wasn't the 1980 version of Close Encounters the first "special edition"?
I doubt it'll happen but I hope Disney follows the CE3K Blu-ray model for the Star Wars OT and has every cut on the disc(s). That's the only way that people who keep citing historical preservation as such an important reason to release the original versions can be happy.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
I'm all for the 1997 versions being preserved. Weird Science Jabba, and Luke's scream in ESB shouldn't be lost to time.

anh_jabba.jpg

IxBRNlT.jpg

Separated at birth? :D

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
There have been so many different versions by now, it would take several discs to hold them all. I admit, I would like to go back and watch the original Special Editions from '97, just for curiosity's sake. It was pretty exciting seeing Star Wars on the big screen after so many years, even with the crazy digital additions. Ah, 1997, before the dark times, before the Prequels.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Brian Kidd said:
There have been so many different versions by now, it would take several discs to hold them all.
I'm not super knowledgeable about what a Blu-ray can and can't handle but I would think that two discs would be enough. One disc for the multiple 'first' versions of the originals. And since the 1997, 2004 and 2011 versions are relatively close to each other, I'd think that a second disc could handle them.

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
The Special editions are subtly recut, (even the famous transitions and original optical FX composites were rebuilt) so seamless branching to the original theatricals would be pretty daunting.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
TravisR said:
I'm not super knowledgeable about what a Blu-ray can and can't handle but I would think that two discs would be enough. One disc for the multiple 'first' versions of the originals. And since the 1997, 2004 and 2011 versions are relatively close to each other, I'd think that a second disc could handle them.
SilverWook said:
The Special editions are subtly recut, (even the famous transitions and original optical FX composites were rebuilt) so seamless branching to the original theatricals would be pretty daunting.

I've often laid out my idea about how everything could be presented; it would take some doing, but I think it's totally possible:

The originals each on their own discs, with the two opening crawls for ANH seamlessly branched, and the various audio tracks for each film (ANH would have the most, but it would still be feasible, and I'd be okay with not all of them being lossless). If they really wanted to be thorough, they could also seamlessly branch the 70mm and 35mm cuts of ESB (but I'd be content with just the 35mm).

Then, on the 2nd (or 1st, whichever) disc, the 97/04/11 cuts seamlessly branched. As Travis pointed out, the picture differences between those versions are actually relatively few. Audio might be tricky, but if they could fit three lossless English tracks on there, that would take care of that, too.

I think that would give us pretty much every officially released version in one tidy package.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
^ Don't you mean theatrical mixes (no near-field mixes) otherwise they won't be original mixes. Sick and tried of near-field home re-mixes.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Bryan Tuck said:
I've often laid out my idea about how everything could be presented; it would take some doing, but I think it's totally possible:

The originals each on their own discs, with the two opening crawls for ANH seamlessly branched, and the various audio tracks for each film (ANH would have the most, but it would still be feasible, and I'd be okay with not all of them being lossless). If they really wanted to be thorough, they could also seamlessly branch the 70mm and 35mm cuts of ESB (but I'd be content with just the 35mm).

Then, on the 2nd (or 1st, whichever) disc, the 97/04/11 cuts seamlessly branched. As Travis pointed out, the picture differences between those versions are actually relatively few. Audio might be tricky, but if they could fit three lossless English tracks on there, that would take care of that, too.

I think that would give us pretty much every officially released version in one tidy package.

This would be a good approach.

You couldn't branch the original and SE because the entire film has different color timing between them - especially "Star Wars" (yes... "a new hope"... which I won't actually ever call it).

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
TravisR said:
It depends on the resolution. You can pretty much dump as much as you want on a disc, but at some point, picture and sound quality suffers. But I agree, in terms of archival documents, it could be done.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
All I want is the original quadraphonic mix of the version I grew up with in HD (or better). And I want it to never change again. That's why I love movies like Star Wars and old TV shows like The Fugitive. They can be many things, including a time capsule, transporting me back to when my father was alive and we watched them together. But not if they change. Everything else changes. We change. The world changes. Either we die or everyone around us dies. But some things should never change.

And Star Wars is currently #1 on my list.

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes my best pal was a senior in high school and I was a freshman when THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK premiered. He convinced me to cut my one--and only--day of school to go see the first show. It's one of my fondest memories. Sadly, he died in 1993 driving back from a movie set. He always comes to mind anytime there's new Star Wars doings. And he always will. I'm sure I'll think about him a lot December 16th.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I like the vivaldi music being used again on the teaser trailer not seen this one included in the CAV laserdisc box set.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If Disney/LFL follows through with releasing the original versions, I have one simple request: include the mono, Dolby Stereo and 70mm 6-track mixes for Star Wars. I'm not normally this persnickety about audio mixes, but the mono version was Ben Burtt's preferred mix, and there are substantial differences between each of the mixes. I understand there are some differences between to 70mm and Dolby Stereo mixes of ESB, so that would also be nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BMan56
Recent bookmarks