What's new

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I think all the great Houston movie theaters are gone now. I don't think I ever went to the Westchase. The one I really liked was the Windsor, which also had those sort of rocking seats and the big screen (can't remember if it was curved).

I think you are correct. I don't get out to the theaters as much these days (and yes I am aware that I am part of the problem of theaters closing due to decreased admissions) so I don't have a good feel for the situation. The Landmarks River Oak was another theater I frequented quite a bit in the '90s. I don't recall it being a great theater in terms of the architecture / aesthetics; although I could be mistaken. It was one of the few places in town where you could get a good helping of independent and foreign films in town before home video serviced that demand. Things like the English subbed release of Princess Mononoke, Kiss or Kill, and Trainspotting to name a few that readily come to mind.

- Walter.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I think all the great Houston movie theaters are gone now. I don't think I ever went to the Westchase. The one I really liked was the Windsor, which also had those sort of rocking seats and the big screen (can't remember if it was curved).
Yes, the Windsor had a deeply curved Cinerama screen and those comfortable rocking seats you would sink into. I wish STAR WARS had played there, but it was at the Galleria Cinema. EMPIRE played at the Alabama, another theatre that holds fond memories with me.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I think the Luke/Leia siblings thing also came from GL's decision to wrap up the saga with "RotJ".

Back when he wanted to make 9 movies, he intended "the other" to become part of Episodes VII-IX, IIRC.

And the Emperor was gonna be part of those films. (Which ended up as the case, but in a different manner.)

GL got so burned out on "Star Wars" by 1982 that he said "eff that" and scuttled plans for the PT and ST.

For that time, at least - obviously he eventually decided to make the PT, and he allowed the ST to be made as well.

But if GL hadn't bailed on those other 6 films in the 80s, I don't think Leia ever becomes Luke's sister.

Or if she does, that doesn't get revealed for a while.
That makes sense. Lucas did put the "there's another" thing out there and to introduce a third character would have been too difficult in the confines of the third film.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yop. As much as Lucas wants us to believe he had a Big Old All-Encompassing Plan from the start, he made it up as he went along.

I'm always a little surprised how many people buy the idea that GL had everything organized before/during the shoot for "Star Wars"
I think the casual fans simply take George at his word when he talks about how he had plans. The more hardcore fans know that, at best, he had vague ideas for what he may or may not do. And I don't say that as a criticism because I think fans have put an insane amount of emphasis on "plans" and there's a million examples of plans not being that important.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks