What's new

Component vs. svideo (1 Viewer)

I just pretty much finished setting up my HT (yay). Lots of tweaking still to do though. Right now, the DVD player is hooked up to the receiver via svideo. The receiver upconverts to component for the projector. I'm thinking it would be a very good idea to connect the DVD player to the receiver with component instead. Is it likely that this will result in any noticable quality difference?

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
Hi James.

I'm thinking the best quality picture would be to hook the Composite (the Yb, Yr, Pb) directly from your DVD to your Projector.

If this is an impossibility, then Composite from DVD to Receceiver then from Receiver to Projector.

If your Receiver does not support Composite in/out, then the S Video is the next best signal followed lastly by Component (right, left, video).

Hope this helps.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
um, minor correction here...

COMPOSITE: the single coax connection, often coded 'yellow' and is just one step above an RF connection.

COMPONENT: the three coax connection, often coded red-blue-green, and marked Y-Pr-Pb.

Leo

Yep, I'm talking component, not composite. From what I was reading last night as well, I might eventually end up going with a DVI connection, but in the meantime, I'll stick to component where possible. DVI will require a new DVD player and a new cable run, so that may have to wait.

Stacey

Stunt Coordinator
:b

Whoopsie, I should know better than to post at 6am.

Component + composite + 6am + awake 12 hrs straight = one confused canuck :D

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
When the receiver upconverts the S-video sources to component, it is still much better to connect a DVD player using component in the first place.

The video as taken off the DVD itself is componetn video. To use its S-video output jack the DVD player converts that into S-video which is extra circuitry there too.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Thanks Allan. I picked up a component cable for the DVD -> Receiver, and it definitely looks better. My next step is to buy a DVD player with DVI out instead, and run it straight to the projector. That all depends on the budget though :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks