What's new

Phase 1 - The Initiation (1 Viewer)

PSYLNT2UHD

Premium
Real Name
Michael Rozman
I've used a projector maybe half a dozen times, I"m not well versed with the technology, but have wanted one now for a while . Some relatives have a nice projector setup and I've been able to appreciate their system for the last few years.
So here's the plan, using components I mostly have and clearing out a room in my house that I don't use much.
Room Dimensions are 14' Long x 12' wide and I have a closet at the backend with a shelf about 6'6" high where I can mount my projector, dead center, kind of convenient that it's already there. The ceiling is 8' and the floors are maple, a few years old, and...under that is a concrete slab.
I picked up an Elite Screens Tripod B, 119-INCH Diag. , so I can get things staged, I don't want to do anything to the walls yet, this way if we change our minds, we have a little flexibility and the price is reasonable.
The idea is to stage the room, get a feel for the experience, and take it from there. Then we can design how to want to upgrade the room which will be for watching/streaming from my NAS server, Netflix, Hulu, and the usually available streaming services and BlueRay player.
I located a refurbished BenQ TK800m for the right price and decided that's where we'll start, not too much money and I think I can sell it, when I'm ready to upgrade.
  • NVIDIA Shield TV PRO
  • OLD MARANTZ 2230 Receive that I recently overhauled
  • 1 pair of Klipsch Heresy 1 speakers
  • 1 pair of Polk Audio L-100 speakers
  • Panasonic DP-UP150 BluRay player
The walls are made of stone on two sides and wood on the other two (front and back), eventually, I plan to use the
http://www.msr-inc.com/studio/ensemble2/ensemble2_modules.html products to improve the sound.
My expectations are not high, but I'm pretty sure I can accomplish this setup without too much work, and take it from there. No furniture plans yet, we do have a couch in the room now as well. Electrician, more equipment, and much more research are next and while I'm researching, I'll have something I can relate to, i.e. a lab environment of sorts.

1675642118052.png

Last edited:

PSYLNT2UHD

Premium
Real Name
Michael Rozman
LeftSide Wall Facing Projector.JPEG
Front Screen Wall.JPEG

March 12 2023 - BenQ TK800M refurbished projector mounted, this will not be the permanent projector.
Yesterday we ran a dedicated 20 AMP circuit to the mounting location, above the closet, using a Quad outlet.
The distance from the Projector lens to the screen is 15'3".
A Chief Mounting Bracket was used for the projector and a peerless projector mount, which makes adjusting the projector easy enough, my only major complaint is, not enough clearance between the projector and the bottom so I may cut out an area, if it makes sense so that getting a hand on the projector is an option, hopefully, I can be patient enough and handle all of the adjustments without making any more cuts in the shelf below the projector. Because I know so little about home theater rooms, my wife and I decided, we needed to get this going, start test driving, and then while it's all 'staged' we can start taking notes on how we want to do things. (while we're saving up for the permanent projector and sound system). This project will likely take some time, hopefully not too long but it could be a year or so before completed. Just having the projector mounted feels like such an awesome accomplishment. I'm loving it, just knowing there's so much potential. What a fun project! I've got the bug big time!
A power conditioner is on the list, I'm looking at the Furman brand per a recommendation from my Electrician (thankfully he also has an extensive AV background), and shares a passion for Home Theater.
The Sony ES STR-AZ3000ES arrived yesterday, I haven't taken it out yet. Hopefully, I can get that and some speakers set up soon?
I'm now also trying to dial in where the AV equipment, receiver, Blu Ray player placement will be, I have the Panasonic DP-UB150-K which may get upgraded. I'm also considering a homemade streaming idea that I found on reddit, pretty nifty using a Rasberry Pi, Waveshare 11.9 Touchscreen, and a vintage Reciever chassis (sorry it's a bit off-topic) but cool enough that it's worth a mention. I'll post a pic.

Last edited:

PSYLNT2UHD

Premium
Real Name
Michael Rozman
Now we're looking at gray paint colors and prepping the wall for a Motorized Screen. I'm looking at the Elite Screens per a recommendation from my installer helper. I'm debating which screen to get since the projector I'm researching (liking VPL-XW5000ES) will do 16:9 & 16:10. I'm starting to tilt toward the 16:10 screen. The jury is still out.

Last edited:

sinisanav

Agent
Real Name
Sinisa Vujkovic
Congrats on the start of your journey! Just posted this on your other thread but found this so....
Your room is very similar in size to mine, just a tad slimmer,but you have openings :). BenQ is good projector to start, if few years you will probably want higher contrast one like Epson LS11000 or similar( no 3D),you mentioned 117" screen would be almost covering all of the wall, you need room for floorstanders on the side( I have 106" screen and have barely space for speakers and subs on the side)? you will need to toe them in a bit for best sound. 1 row of seating will make it easier for dialing in the sound.
As for subs, I would suggest to get a pair and not one as you will get much better, fatter response with less nulls( where you can hear bass well due to standing waves ). Also if you are not tied to Klipsch for sub( saw your PDF on other post) look into SVS-SB2000, about same price , much more output , I have them in my room and they work flawlessly, really no need for anything more then 12" subs in that space, especially if going with a pair.
When running wires through walls/ceiling, foolproof, get the wires of 3rd pair of Atmos and also maybe for height speaker above/behind screen, just in case. make sure you run HDMI 2.1 , ( capable of 8K) as that will future proof you for hopefully next 10-15 years. I made mistake with 1.4 HDMI in 2014 and now have to scramble when I finally upgrade to 4K...
Wall treatments, will help with sound once room is done ( especially due to brick) as receiver's EQ is not all mighty. Look into GIK or Acoustimac solutions ( I have GIK), excellent sonically and aesthetically.
Ask away if more questions !

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks