What's new

Newbie question about Progressive scan DVD vs regular (1 Viewer)

David_J

Grip
I'm I correct to assume that a progressive scan DVD player is useless unless you have a digital TV? I just bought a digital TV (Zenith C27V22) but I'm still using a non-progressive scan DVD player (Panny A120U). I plan on buying a new DVD player, but for now should I hook up my panny to the HD component inputs, or just the standard component input. From looking at the manual it appears that I have one set of inputs for 1080 and one set for 480. It has 2 additional svideo inputs for VCR and standard cable box. I'm thinking that it will do no good at all to hook a standard DVD player up to 1080 inputs because the signal is no better than 480 to begin with.

I know it's not the best HDTV in the world, but I got it for less than $349 which is on par with a standard flat screeen 27 inch TV.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
You cannot hook up a progressive scan player to the 1080 inputs either, unless that player is capable of outputting 1080 (there are only a few that do). Whether progressive or standard the resolution is 480; the difference is whether the scan lines are interlaced or progressive.

David_J

Grip
I think the HD component input is 1080i and 480p. Does that make sense. Like I said I'm a newbie so be gentle.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Use the 480 component inputs. I'm not familiar with the particulars of your TV, but it should have a line doubler, which basically turns a standard, interlaced signal into a progressive one. If it will ONLY accept progressive signals in the 480 than you'll have to go with the s-video connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks