What's new

DVI vs. Component vs. SVideo (1 Viewer)

NileDB

Grip
I am finally getting around to setting up my home theater and noticed that my CATV box and TV have DVI jacks. Currently I'm using component cables and the 1080i and 720p pictures from cable HD are beautiful. Will an upgrade to DVI be worth the cable expense? Does DVI also carry the regular cable broadcast signals as well?
As a side note, thanks Bob M. for the set up guide, well done. In it it is suggested that it may be best to possibly use svideo for simplicity sake. What effect will this have on the DVD picture if currently using component?

Cornelius

Stunt Coordinator
The DVI cable will carry the same signals as the component ones. The DVI may or may not result in a better picture, it depends on the converter your TV uses. I would not use the s-video cable for the DVD (or the cable either), especially if it is a progressive player.

CJ

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
You should know that many CATV box's come equipped with DVI connectors, but they are not enabled. Check with your CATV tech support department before buying a cable.

People who have done side-by-side comparisons with DVI vs component video cables have not seen dramatic differences. The one big advantage is if you run out of inputs on your television, you might then use DVI for the CATV box and free up the two component inputs for other sources.

Tom McA

Stunt Coordinator
Or in my case, the DVI is enabled, but "Not Recommended" by the cable co, because they say it won't work properly.

I use it anyway with no problems, other than occasionally when I tune to an HD channel, I just get static. (HD static, though!) If I click away and back to the channel, that usually fixes it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks