What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Chinatown SE? (1 Viewer)

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

Maybe Criterion finally put in a successful licensing bid...

I can dream, can't I?
It's hard to imagine how Criterion could expand on what's already included on the 2009 Centennial Collection edition. Though they are so good at it, I would not be shocked if they did. If that happened that would mark the 4th time (original dvd, se dvd, centennial collection dvd) I have bought Chinatown on DVD, yikes.

Does anyone have any clue as to why this went OOP along with the 2007 single-disc SE?

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
But they were all part of the original catalog release series that Paramount launched in it's early days with titles like The Gambler, which also can no longer be found in retail. It's quite surprising to see a relatively new and stacked Centennial Collection title phased out so quickly and my only guess would be that something happened with the rights to either the film or supplement feature that was a part of the DVD production. It would be pretty senseless on Paramount's part to pull this otherwise as it's a popular title and they clearly put effort into the set.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by TravisR

I don't know why but alot of Paramount titles went out of print recently (I think it was more than a hundred).
You are correct. I checked a list of titles and there are plenty marked "discontinued by studio". So most of the older Paramount catalogue has gone OOP, yet they seem to put major focus on releasing newer movies, TV boxsets with an occasional newly mastered catalogue title upgrade here and there. It seems they rarely focus any effort on the unreleased stuff, like The African Queen (rumor has it's on the way finally), 1492 (never released), Looking For Mr. Goodbar (Richard Gere and Diane Lane and this isn't available), Bugsy Malone (Jodie Foster), just to name a few.

ricktech12

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Originally Posted by MarcoBiscotti

But they were all part of the original catalog release series that Paramount launched in it's early days with titles like The Gambler, which also can no longer be found in retail. It's quite surprising to see a relatively new and stacked Centennial Collection title phased out so quickly and my only guess would be that something happened with the rights to either the film or supplement feature that was a part of the DVD production. It would be pretty senseless on Paramount's part to pull this otherwise as it's a popular title and they clearly put effort into the set.
Could be the case, I agree. Why all the effort and it's OOP really fast, makes little sense since it's a popular film prized by many.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks