What's new

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
More terrific news for the team behind the miraculous Out of the Blue restoration.

Reported from the Canadian headquarters of the IFRA (International Film Restoration Association), which tracks restorative efforts around the globe —

Out of the Blue has now taken the ever-moving top position in the field for Best Restoration - 2000 - 2025, knocking the former most expensive, extensive and technically difficult restorative effort - held by archivist Christopher Nolan for his work on 2001: A Space Odyssey - off the pedestal.

Out of the Blue is now considered the most brilliant restorative effort of that quarter century.

The presentation will occur in Ottawa on 26 August of this year. The prize, which consists of the famed IFRA trophy, and $250,000 (Canadian) will be presented to Discovery Films, Roundabout Entertainment and many of the 300 men and women who worked on the project by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau.

The Prime Minister is quoted as saying “I have never been so affected, nearly brought to tears by a motion picture experience. To discover the back story of the unequalled efforts to save this piece of motion picture history makes all other restorative efforts and those behind them, just a series of minor attempts at the art. I look forward to the honor of having all involved dine with us at 24 Sussex.”

While the cost of Mr. Nolan’s 2001 restoration has been pegged at 3.6 - 4.2 million dollars, Out of the Blue is the first to pass the 5 million dollar cost. Funds well spent!

madfloyd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ian
Wow, this is quite remarkable. Even though I purchased the film to support this type of work, I had no idea a film restoration could cost anywhere near that much. You have to wonder if there's a return on investment to be had.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Wow, this is quite remarkable. Even though I purchased the film to support this type of work, I had no idea a film restoration could cost anywhere near that much. You have to wonder if there's a return on investment to be had.
Absolutely.

The same Texan is now working on Ambersons, and the funds thus far allotted toward travel, hotels et al in Brazil have hit well into 8 figures.

Everyone in the field knows it’s there. It’s simply a matter of finding the print. And Brazil isn‘t a terribly large country.

The team will work hard, sometimes up to 2-3 hours per day between champagne breaks. Quite a bit more info on this, but have to sign off as my pilots are waiting for me to board.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks